Charlie Smith

Wheel Horse Gear Box Oil

Hello All, 

Today being such a nice day down here in the south I thought I would dust my tractors off and give them a good run up, the cub cadet went without problems, the wheel horse raider 10 on the other hand was a bit of a pig to get going, but now its dried out it seems to be fine, maybe it just got a little damp. 

Right now the real reason I'm here, whilst driving round i noticed the gearbox on the raider was whining a fair bit, so i checked the oil and it seems to be quite well... I dont know, it just looks like its a little low in fact just looks like it could do with a complete change 

I was wondering what gear oil shall I use? 

What gear oil do you use? 

Would be advisable to change quite regularly Charlie , gets quite gunky in those transmissions due to water ingress, becomes yoghurty.

after a while.

Okay so I drained the gearbox on my raider 10 this morning, the old oil and gunk that came out makes me think it hadn't been changed for many years... anyway I replaced it with the correct oil needed and the correct amounts,

And the whining has stopped in gear 1 and 3 but still whines whilst driving in gear 2? Is this anything to worry about?

The 2 main causes of milky Transmission Oil are- Keeping the Tractor outside uncovered and the rubber Gearshift Boot perished. Rain water runs down the gearshift lever and into the tranny.

If the Tranny is 6 or 8 speed model, the Hi Lo Lever entry point is also susceptible to water ingress (good amount of grease around the base will stop that).

Did you jack up the front of the Tractor before draining it Charlie?. Reason is that the water settles to the bottom and will be trapped in between the internal recesses. It's best to give it a flush with a bit of Diesel or Kerosene if the Oil is milky, but I suspect you've added the new Oil anyway.

As for the Whining Gear, I would not worry too much.

It is probably down to having spent most of it's previous owned life mowing grass in 2nd Gear and is more worn than the others. Add this to using a modern 90 wt Oil as opposed to the old recommended 140 wt and the Straight Cut gears will tend to make a bit more noise.

Thank you Richard, 

There not kept outside, but they aren't exactly kept in a warm place, still get a little damp and cold, so I guess condensation is an issue as well as for water getting into the oil, I will look into putting some grease around the bottom of the rubber boots also., And it's the 6 speed 1-2-3 + R Hi-Lo.

The tractor was jacked up at the front and the right side, so the drain plug was at a good angle. 

That's what I thought as well, I tend to use it in 2nd when at shows also, so maybe i'll stop doing that and try using a different gear I guess like you say 2nd has just had a bit more of a harder life then 1st and 3rd has.. 

Just looking at your picture again, Were you draining it from the Fill level on the side of the Tranny?.

Did you also remove the Hex Plug on the bottom as well (if fitted?. that's where all the sludgy stuff would lay.

One note of caution guys.

With the older GTs you have to be careful of WHICH EP90 gear oil you used.

The newer oils that meet GL5 spec are a no no in our old GTs.  It has additives that do not play will with any 'yellow metal' that may be in the gearbox.

You need to use GL1 spec.  I don't know how readily available it is over there, but we can find it fairly easily here in the Colonies.

Hi I have just joined the club the reading is very interesting when I change oil in rear axle before I add new oil I rinse rear axle with diesel by rocking tractor forward and backwards just thought I would let you know Regards Richard 

Hi Richard. :WMOM:A better flush is to run it around for a minute or so. Personally, I just run the tractor around to warm up the oil, jack the front end up as far as safe and let the oil drain overnight.

Good evening stormin. I live in Tonbridge Kent. My horses are all stable up for winter will get photos when let out . I have got one raider ten show.tractor  . One raider fourteen with winch show tractor. One wheel horse 312-8 working machine. One wheel horse c-141 with snow blade and grader blade all fitted.two toros one pulling tractor one with cutting deck both working machines. One 1960 fordson Dexter again a working machine  Regards Richard 

There's several members down your way. Couple of good shows as well. Rural Past Times is one. Worth going if you have not already been. I've been down 5 times before covid. Bit far for me these days.