expeatfarmer

Ransomes MG2 number 137

Excuses Norm, you just want to go for another look!

Jonathan, I'm sure you'll get it going

When mine hasn't ran for a while and won't start I disconnect the air filter and put my hand over inlet when turning it over to make it pull fuel in to make it fire, I also had to do that the first time I started it.

Excuses Norm, you just want to go for another look!

Tomorrow! :thumbs:

When mine hasn't ran for a while and won't start I disconnect the air filter and put my hand over inlet when turning it over to make it pull fuel in to make it fire, I also had to do that the first time I started it.

We tried that Rhys, to no avail. Didn't even suck on your hand. No fuel getting into cylinder. What we did find when Jonathan took the carb off, was the throttle slide was fully shut down. Manifold tube from carb to head was dry as well. Possible cause there? No air or fuel getting through.

If you can't feel any suction then it won't pull fuel in, my MG2 pulls your hand in like a Hoover, Jonathan will know what's he's doing though, he's dealt with a few more than me.

You would think so but I still make rookie mistakes, discovered after a huge amount of effort that when setting up the valve timing I had mistaken a mark on the crank sprocket for the timing mark hence no suck as valves were 180 degrees out. Sorted that out and now I can get one firing  but try as I might I cannot get enough fuel through to wet the plug. Going to take some oxygen and have a lie down before I try again in the morning.Norman came over to give me a hand which was much appreciated.

In my experience (probably way behind most of you)

When I'm convinced it's all there and its just fuel - or lack of. I just put a teaspoon in through the plug hole.

It usually make it fire first stroke and then they tnd to draw enough fuel through to run.

It it runs for a second or so, it at least satisfies me that the timing, valves and spark are OK...

I have done that plenty of times mark or a drop down carb in a seringe , or you could get a graphite pencil and scape it on the plug I do that with my old stationary engines and that makes them bang

We tried squirting fuel down the intake, but that was before the timing was corrected.

post-111-0-20986600-1451947199_thumb.jpg

I know one thing, the beast has plenty of compression. Release the decompression lever and it stops you dead.

I enjoyed the day Jonathan and was pleased to help, even if a couple of hours turned into five. :D

So frustrating when you know this engine has probabley not run for fourty years, there is a combination of fueling ignition timing and sod' s law that will  make it run but I have the blisters on my right hand to show that it is not going

to give in without a fight. 

It's bound to go with the timing corrected and some fuel down the inlet.

To eliminate the chance of weak mixture try to wrap an oily rag around the top of the carburettor to stop any air entering this way.

1post-292-0-33957200-1452104340_thumb.jpg

37 is alive and well!!!! After three solid days of trying everything I could think of to get it running I was at the point of despair and so knackered from cranking that I thought it safer for me not to try again whist my wife was out in case I had a stroke or something daft. Whilst she was out walking the dog I put the decals on and just sat and looked at it trying to think of something else to try. Some time ago I came across a very rusty ancient mica insulated three point spark plug which was in one of the heads that came with 137, I sand blasted it and polished it up as a keepsake. 137 had fired a few times, once it fired a five bang run so it was not far away. I took the plug out put some oil down the bore and then sat for about half an hour just turning the engine over to try to loosen things up. Put the plug back and tried again, fired once and stopped. I then took the plug out and fitted the three point ancient plug turned the crank and off it went running like a dream. I ran the engine for half an hour checking for oil flow in the dry sump and any leaks. Stopped the engine and had a celebratory coffee and then tried to start it again hey presto off it went again. Thank goodness for that . Now I can make up a bumper, fit some floor boards and then crack on with some other machines for Malvern.

Well done Jonathon and congratulations on getting 137 running. If I wasn't 350 miles a way I would have been helping with the cranking ( feeble excuse )

Hugh

Thought it was too good to be true 137 would not start this morning, found a major air leak on the engine side of the carb through the slot which clamps the carb to the manifold, sealed that up ,still would not start, I have never had any dealings before with a Lucas magneto but looking at it I thought the cam ring in the clamp did not look right when you advanced the timing the whole ring moved outwards. The cam ring has a notch cut out of it to limit the advance retard which locates against a pin. When you move the running lever to 20 degrees advance the cam ring moved outwards and was obviously disengaged from the limit pin. I made some adjustments to the advance lever and refitted the ring which showed that the ignition timing was out, I have reset the timing to top dead centre starting, still would not run. Now I have discovered that the main throttle slide is not snapping shut against the bottom of the venturi when no throttle is applied. I have now dismantled the carb with a view to ensuring the slides are free and snapping shut for starting.

In the morning I am going to make the floorboards and front bumper before I go near starting it again.

At least today was productive, managed to bend up a new bumper out of steel strip fortunately I was able to take a template off 225. So started the day as a blacksmith and then spend many hours trying to figure out how the floorboards were meant to be. I thought I had gained some time by buying some part built sets from Neil only to realise that 137 had a totally different arrangement using two boards suspended under the cross shaft by four U bolts which I now have to make. I have made one complete board which required a lot of trial fitting and messing about, the second board is simply a mirror image so it should not take long to make that in the morning. Fortunately I had a couple of lengths of pitch pine ex church pew which are wide enough and thick enough.