danarmdave

westwood t1100

hi everyone sorry to trouble you but my cutting deck pulley and engine pulley dont line up when the cutters engaged and it then chews the belt and flicks it of i cant see ant way of adjusting or levelling the pulley any body out there any ideas   many thanks  dave k

I don't think they ever do, due to the fact the deck height is adjustable.

Have you got the routing correct? I've seen some interesting belt routing on old westwoods where folks go the wrong way round the idlers...

Any pics?

thanks

the belt is only round the cutter pulley then round the engine pulley there are no tensioners its just a large oval but the pulleys are different heights the tension is applied by engaging the cutter so when traveling the belt is slack and when in cutting mode its tightened but the height just kills it      thanks dave k

no pics yet the prob is that the two pulleys are different heights the cutter being one and a quarter lower than the engine pulley and no way to level/adjust ???

well there is only one pulley on the cutting deck and it goes direct to crankshaft pulley no adjusters or pulleys to go round just an oval drive

sam when the cutting deck is raised its fine but when you lower it to cutting position its not level the cutting pulley is lower and the belt just comes off

May not work in your case but a while ago i had a ride on that kept chucking the belt off due to some pulleys being out of line, we tried lining them up but didn't succeed, so in the end we made some belt guides welded and bolted a few all the was around, they didn't look too good to the eye, but they sure done the job, i assume that when the belt went to jump off it hit them and couldn't get no further and stayed in the V of the pulley.?? 

may be worth a try? makes changing the belt a little more difficult but can still be done 

What is the condition of the deck pan? Seen them where they have got a bit weak so that when the tension goes onto the belt the deck spindle turret tilts toward the crank pulley and the belt flips off.

With the engine off , engage the drive to the deck and check the turret is vertical and not leaning forward. If it is, find a bit of  suitable plate and reinforce a large enough area of the deck to spread the load and resist the forward pull of the belt.

decks just been rebuilt so is fine i might take it to the local garden machinery theres a guy whos been there since the sixties so he will maybe have an idea if not then charlies idea will be brought into force will try and get photos up monday as busy getting auction stuff ready for sunday    thanks dave k

decks just been rebuilt so is fine i might take it to the local garden machinery theres a guy whos been there since the sixties so he will maybe have an idea if not then charlies idea will be brought into force will try and get photos up monday as busy getting auction stuff ready for sunday    thanks dave k

I'd still do that check, what does rebuilt mean? new bearings?. While adding extra keepers may eliminate the problem it shouldn't be be necessary if everything else is as it should be.

This may sound overly simple or stupid, but when you engage the cutter deck blades is the deck in the highest position it can be in? I always tell people to engage the blades with the deck up, then slowly lower the deck, engaging the blades with the deck down and at an increased angle will cause most belts to try and remove themselves from the pulleys. I know many newer model lawn or riding mowers have this issue as they age, just not sure why it isn't more prevelant when the mower is new.

hi i took it to the old guy at garden machinery place and he worried at it for about an hour and job done he just adjusted this /that and bent the belt guard to suit and as you say engage cutter before lowering was the first thing he said to me and he fitted a kevlar belt and seems to be working a treat now so fingers crossed thats it done    thanks for everyones imput much appreciated   danarmdave

A good outcome. Much more satisfactory than adding extra keepers that weren't specified in the first place! From your comment about the Kevlar belt I take it that it had a "standard " pattern nylon or rayon corded one fitted - seldom a satisfactory substitute and usually an example of buying cheap and buying twice!

Sometimes the solution is right there, what one must be very careful in not doing, is doing something before you know the problem, I know, did something many times that compounded the problem. The best tool in your shed is your brain. Think about it, get advice, and find out why, the how will become clear after that. It seems they develop the habit of throwing belts after the belts stretch or are replaced with non OEM and/or non Kevlar belts and the blades are engaged when the deck is in the lowered position. The original owner may have read the long gone owners manual carefully and followed the "pre-flight" checklist, subsequent owners may not have had the benefit of that manual, or checklist.

before we bought it the guys young sons used it to cut a paddock they had horses in and he said it kept on breaking down but did not say what happened as the engine was ok it suggests to me the belt kept coming off as it was off when we picked it up      thanks danarmdave