phil murrell

a hand full of Shay's

My Dad  had a Rotoscythe in the 1950s and the sight of the red one reminds me of burning the inside of my wrist on that curved exhaust pipe while attempting to turn the hight adjuster!

Our local distributor at the time was Robertsbridge Garage (E Sussex) and I remember going there to collect some cutter discs and screws an seeing a large shed full awaiting winter service.

My Dad  had a Rotoscythe in the 1950s and the sight of the red one reminds me of burning the inside of my wrist on that curved exhaust pipe while attempting to turn the hight adjuster!

Our local distributor at the time was Robertsbridge Garage (E Sussex) and I remember going there to collect some cutter discs and screws an seeing a large shed full awaiting winter service.

Is that the garage just off Robertsbridge High St enroute to the station or the one on the A21 just before John's Cross? Just curious really as I am from that area originally.

Is that the garage just off Robertsbridge High St enroute to the station or the one on the A21 just before John's Cross? Just curious really as I am from that area originally.

fu

From memory neither ! Long gone and if memory serves me right I last saw the site selling fire places and garden ornaments. Come down the 21 to the roundabout at the start of the by-pass. Turn right into the village and it would have been on the left before the high street proper. Trying to think of anyone that I know who would know but at the moment it eludes me.

Do know that they did a big trade in Shay machines. Dad had the Rotoscythe with the roller and grass box and I remember a couple of the push four wheeled machines (Countryman) and a cultivator all within half a mile of home.

fu

From memory neither ! Long gone and if memory serves me right I last saw the site selling fire places and garden ornaments. Come down the 21 to the roundabout at the start of the by-pass. Turn right into the village and it would have been on the left before the high street proper. Trying to think of anyone that I know who would know but at the moment it eludes me.

Do know that they did a big trade in Shay machines. Dad had the Rotoscythe with the roller and grass box and I remember a couple of the push four wheeled machines (Countryman) and a cultivator all within half a mile of home.

Thanks for getting back to me on the location. The site is still selling wood burners and garden ornaments. It very nearly flooded last winter with all the heavy rain. The cricket pitch opposite was flooded and the cricket pavilion was also flooded.

Anyways thanks for the info.