OldBuzzard

Operation Bolens 600

Something that has belt driven attachments. The pulley wheel and gearbox in the middle of this are not on a unit that fits a Bolens. 

Iain

Right then, back to the Operation.

When we last posted, the Forklift was still on the trailer as were the makings of the crate.

This morning I went out to unload everything and put the crate to a place where I could still get to it later for assembly.

Now one thing to consider is that the forklift has very little ground clearance and with the weight box on the back having a long overhang, it doesn't take much to high center it. That means that you have to be a bit creative to get it on and off a trailer.

Fortunately my North lot has a drainage ditch that is just perfect.  I just back the trailer down the ditch and the tailgate is now level with the road  :D :D :D

I also found that a byproduct of taking the forklift with me when I picked ut the crate was that the crate was resting just fine of the forks.

So, unloading the crate was just a matter of lifting the forks so that it cleared the trailer sides, driving off the trailer, and Bob's your Uncle.  I'd like to be able to claim that I planned that, but it was just pure happenstance.

Pics of how the unloading went.

post-342-0-91419700-1431274306_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-15364600-1431274324_thumb.jpg

That crate is identical to the ones I have seen being used to import Husqvarna ride-on's into the UK, so it should be something the shipping people are very familiar with.

Iain

I have gone through my paperwork (which got the Bolens/Haban models in it) and seen that the Haban Sickle mo is model 425 in one of the photos... It's for the Simplicity Landlord tractor..... My fault entirely.

I got two options. Sell it or buy a Simplicity Landlord......

Back to the Operation. Dave, tidy work there on the fork lift.

Cheers

I had some time this morning while I was waiting for someone so I re-read this post and did a little digging on the leaking axle.

Looking at the parts manual I believe the oil seal required is Bolens part number 118-5426 which I believe translates to SKF part number 17270. This oil seal should be on the self or available within a couple of days from any UK SKF stockist for about £10 including taxes. Would be worth checking the Bolens part number to make sure I have identified the correct part, cause I am getting old :)

Despite the silly prices we have to pay for anything in the UK I think this is still cheaper (and certainly quicker) than buying from the US and importing.

Hope this helps

Iain

Fascinating post on this project. Dave, do you know how much your forklift attachment weighs?

Iain

I haven't weighed it, but I'm pretty sure that the whole combination is in excess of 2000 Lbs.

Figure that the Tractor by itself weighs right at 1000 Lbs.

Then add 110 Lbs. of ballast in each rear tire, 300 Lbs. of weight in the weight box. Not to mention that the weight box itself is heavy as it's made from 1/4" plate steel which weighs 25 Lbs./SqFt. Plus the weight of the rest of the forklift attachment.

Just a quick update on the Haban. Thanks to Alain, aka HE, he discovered that my Haban does fit Bolens after all but only for the later QS and QT range. The Haban model number is 425.

Interesting.  The 425 isn't one that you see very often!

Don't bet the farm on it, but it just may be possible to make that work on the later tube frames like the 1050, etc.

Looking at the manual, which I'll attach, it looks like it may have been a 405A that was modified to fit the QT series.

That's not unusual for Haban as they were masters at taking a basic design and modifying it to work across several brands.

I found out about that with my first Sickle-Mo.  It was a 414 which was for some Wheel Horse models, but by removing the extra bits that Haban attached so that it would hang on the Wheel Horse axle, and having the stub for the prop shaft lengthened a few inches, it was than identical to the 405A. The other extra bit was a 90 deg. gear box that attached under the Wheel Horse chassis to transmit the power to the Sickle-Mo I just have in storage.

You can see the extra bits on the front hanger and the gearbox in these two pics:

post-342-0-23227900-1431661188_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-40046200-1431661205_thumb.jpg

Haban Model 425 Manual Year 1974 for Bolens QT16, QS16 Tractors.pdf

Thanks Dave for the attachment. I will have a proper look at the model itself this weekend with the manual. I know the previous owner added a gear box or something to fit his Simplicity Landlord some 20 odd years ago. Thanks to Alain for his research too.

Andrew

Andrew,

Despite my attachment being in very poor condition it is complete. Very happy to drag it out and take whatever measurements and pictures you need. From memory I think the bits I have marked within the blue border are wrong

post-276-0-55258900-1431690795_thumb.jpg

Iain

Iain,

Thanks for the offer of measuring up your Haban with the relevant components. I, too, need to drag it out from the garage which I will do once the 1254 is moved to another place shortly.

Cheers

Okay so as promised, I picked-up the Bolen's 800 (with a fresh Tecumseh 10HP engine) from my niece this past Sunday, starts good, runs good, comes with the deck shown.

DROP ME A P.M. IF YOU INTERESTED........ Tractor is as is and as shown in he attached pictures, don't think you'll find a nicer one, great for parades or shows. Pick up only at my home in Brewster. Think $550.00 is a fair price. Thanks

post-425-0-44250400-1431999389_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-12011600-1431999398_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-54362000-1431999406_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-98113300-1431999412_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-02705800-1431999419_thumb.jpg

At long last the 600 is now in it new home in the UK along side fellow Bolens and a rogue Ford. It was meant to be delivered on Friday but they couldn't do it then so re arranged it for Monday morning. Whilst waiting for the delivery, I connected up the 1050 air filter unit plus a new air filter element. I turned the fuel tap on and it fired into life after several attempts. It was a wee bit smokey though. I also had a good look through it too. I am always amazed at how well built these little tractors are.

The 600 is just as good in the metal as it were and I wiped off accumulated grease and dirt to reveal gleaming paintwork! There was some subtle differences to Chris's 600. The three differences I noticed to date were that mine got a white steering wheel whereas Chris got a black one, the throttle lever was mounted at the front of the steering column not on the side like the other one and the foot pedal on mine is just a simple bar whereas Chris one is a more elborate pedal. I will be interested to see my other 600 to compare the differences. I think someone mentioned that this one from the US is an early example. 

My thanks to Dave (Old Buzzard) for his time to check it out and collect it and storing it. Also to my consultant, Iain, for his encouragement and knowledge. I contacted several shippers but in the end I went with Chris Sutton's (The Showman) recommendations using DLR Shipping. Is it worth it? Was it worth the angst? To me, yes, as I have picked up a really early example and an original one as well of the 600 with a belly deck and a front plow plus a Brinly sleeve hitch for roughly £150 plus shipping. It was also saved from the scrapie too...... Would I buy another garden tractor again? Yes I would but it got to be in it original paint job with some attachments too and also one that you can't get over here. A Bolens Deluxe Ride a Matic from the late 50s would be an example or a Copar Panzer.

For the moment, I won't be buying anything from the US for the moment......

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Andrew, I've been waiting for you to post that it got there.

It's definitely and early example.

One easy clue is that the hitch is cast into the rear end and not a bolted on one.