WestwoodGazelle

One of the first Westwood Gazelles

Here's the Westwood with the new seat I got for my birthday and a new headlight :thumbs:The seat is really nice, I also replaced the bar and clip that the seat pivots on to reveal the storage box (or boot? :lol:) with two M8s because the bar was very loose and the seat wobbled on even a slight hill. It's very comfortable now :) 

DSC00546

Good to see the old girl, I just done some winter maintenance on mine which I may post later if you are interested. Just wondered where you got the headlight from as on mine I need two. I have found some new pulleys but as I am getting for Christmas, I am not allowed to know what site or anything about them until after 😂 Will tell you as soon as. Thanks.

2 hours ago, WestwoodW8Gazelle said:

Good to see the old girl, I just done some winter maintenance on mine which I may post later if you are interested. Just wondered where you got the headlight from as on mine I need two. I have found some new pulleys but as I am getting for Christmas, I am not allowed to know what site or anything about them until after 😂 Will tell you as soon as. Thanks.

Thanks! I would be very interested to see your Westwood and any updates. My headlight was from ebay, if you search for "Case International 384,444,585,674,784 Tractor Head Light" you should be able to find the ones I got (I decided to get a spare too) but I don't think I am allowed to post direct links here. Can PM you if you need it though. They were a little pricey, but not too bad I suppose. 

Haha fair enough, will look forward to hearing abut the pulley :)

13 hours ago, WestwoodW8Gazelle said:

Hi, had a look at the headlights and noticed they have a plug type terminal compared to the old screw ons. What would I have to do to fit them? Thanks. 

When you say "plug type" , are they just like two rigid pins sticking out of the back? An image will assist .

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:16 AM, WestwoodW8Gazelle said:

Hi, those are my original headlights which I am looking for but I am having trouble finding that exact screw on type. Thanks.

I'm possibly being very dim over this but I just cant envisage "the screw on type"

On 12/14/2017 at 6:18 AM, WestwoodW8Gazelle said:

Hi, had a look at the headlights and noticed they have a plug type terminal compared to the old screw ons. What would I have to do to fit them? Thanks. 

Ah yes sorry I forgot to mention they are spade-style connectors, once you take off the plastic cover that is seen in the pictures of the lights on ebay, there's a positive, negative and earth. Unfortunately I haven't seen a new set of headlights with screw connectors. 

2 hours ago, Wristpin said:

I'm possibly being very dim over this but I just cant envisage "the screw on type"

I think WestwoodW8Gazelle is referring to the type of connectors like in the photo he shared, as opposed to the modern spade connector types.

Hi everyone,

I'm new here to the forum and just wanted to say I'm really enjoying this thread.

It's good to see an original Westwood W11 being preserved, I think these are classic machines now, they look really cool and are very tough.

I have a lot of good memories of these machines!

Look forward to seeing more! Happy New Years! :):england:

Slightly off piste but Mowmaster's handle and avatar reminds me of when the green Mowmaster 332 was introduced at the price of £999, and we sold dozens of those and the later red 333 . Looking back on my records I see  one 332 that we sold  in 1996 was still returning for an annual service when I retired in 2012. 

6 hours ago, Wristpin said:

Slightly off piste but Mowmaster's handle and avatar reminds me of when the green Mowmaster 332 was introduced at the price of £999, and we sold dozens of those and the later red 333 . Looking back on my records I see  one 332 that we sold  in 1996 was still returning for an annual service when I retired in 2012. 

Thanks Wristpin!

That's interesting! Funny how older lawn tractors seem to hold up well, I wonder what the average age of a UK tractor is, my friend who services lawn tractors says it's pretty old, but I think that's a good thing that these vintage machines are still going. :D

There's an old rusty Westwood kept outside under a bedraggled tarpaulin that starts on the button according to the gardener who works next door to my customer. I will try to take a photo of it in situ next time I am there. What amazes me is that there is plenty of undercover storage for it to be stored.... :(

On 1/2/2018 at 10:03 AM, Triumph66 said:

There's an old rusty Westwood kept outside under a bedraggled tarpaulin that starts on the button according to the gardener who works next door to my customer. I will try to take a photo of it in situ next time I am there. What amazes me is that there is plenty of undercover storage for it to be stored.... :(

That's a real shame, but I would be really interested to see a photo!

On 12/29/2017 at 8:51 PM, MowMaster1993 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm new here to the forum and just wanted to say I'm really enjoying this thread.

It's good to see an original Westwood W11 being preserved, I think these are classic machines now, they look really cool and are very tough.

I have a lot of good memories of these machines!

Look forward to seeing more! Happy New Years! :):england:

Welcome to the forum, MowMaster! :) I am glad you're liking the thread, and I agree Westwoods are great tractors. There are a few Westwood fans here with W11's. 

Also I thought you folks might want to see these photos that my brother took (he's an amateur photographer), I think they look great: 

Westwood Gazelle W11DSC_7996

Hi all, may be the wrong place to post this ... but found the forum by googling for Westwood Gazelle :D ... anyway:

My problem is the deck - it's a 36" square sides gazelle deck from a 1982 westwood gazelle 11hp lawn tractor. On investigation, one of the spindles rattles around like crazy and after getting it apart as far as I can by removing the blade and top pulley - I found the top bearing had lost its seal and sorta fell apart ... the bottom bearing is just as noisy and even more wobbly...BUT ... I can't seem to get the blade boss off the spindle :( ... any clues how to remove it, or any clues how to get the spindle out of the deck so I can replace the bearings?  ... Or am I better off modifying the deck (which I'd rather not do as it has no rust holes and looks original). I'm at the moment 'cutter-deck-less', with a very nice condition main tractor :(

Sorry if that is a bit rambling as a question, but in short ... how do I get the spindles out from the deck?