Tom

Not another one...

Hi all,

Not done much on the Cub lately, unfortunately. However, I have picked up some new rear tyres and another K161 engine. Admittedly it is seized but it has been barn stored and looks fairly straight so I can use parts off of it all being well. Has anyone else put 23-8.50 x 12 tyres on a cub before? I mocked it up and I quite like it, not sure what to put on the front though...

99C4BCE6-E52A-4E65-90F2-94990D0389A3.jpg

What do you guys think?

Tom

That's lucky finding a K161, I haven't seen one for sale before, tri rib tyres look good in my opinion, I had ag tyres and tri ribs on my Wheel Horse and I thought it looked good :D

You are right Norm, I will have to keep the original set for ploughing :)

I was very lucky with the K161, I'm just hoping the parts are similar on them, no doubt they will all be different!! It definitely is looking like tri-ribs, I was half tempted to go with ags on the front as well like my 312...

Tom

Hi,

Had an afternoon on the Cub today. I wanted to see if the engine ran OK and there was no major problems so I hooked up a coil and tried it. Well I say I did, it looked like someone had tried to do it before. Cleaned the carb and off she went, and I've got proof :D

http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r713/whtom/th_510BD656-0C65-4948-AA57-A3219A31E413.mp4

The engine runs well for it's age in my opinion. It hunts a bit but I have a NOS carb for it which I am tempted to stick on, I'm also going to fit new points, condenser, magneto coil, fuel sediment bowl and fuel lines. A birthday really :) I had a drive well and it all seemed really good. The only problem seemed to be the steering which was very tight, I thought it was the steering box which worried me as I was hoping I was going to get away without taking it out and rebuilding it for now. I jacked the front up and it turned out to be the spindles were very stiff, I had great difficulty in getting them out! After eventually getting them out I soaked them in the parts cleaner and it sanded everything down, re-greased and they were 1000x better. 

70A05707-BDF7-45C6-B067-D33A5ECBB994_1.j

I put it back together had a quick drive and it is so much better, I am very happy with it now. Now just to get some bits for it, tempted to take this to Rural past times..

Tom

Great progress Tom. Lots of smiles from the first drive I expect.

The spindles were seized on mine and it took me a while to get them out. I had to use lots of heat.

Iain

Great progress Tom. Lots of smiles from the first drive I expect.

The spindles were seized on mine and it took me a while to get them out. I had to use lots of heat.

Iain

I couldn't stop grinning! They were real tight getting out but they are like new now, it's amazing the difference it has made.

Tom, you are wasting no time on recommissioning your CC. Well done. I hope to be at Rural Past Times myself.

It'd be great to finally meet you, are you planning on taking anything?

That's great progress Tom, it would be great to see it at Rural Pastimes :thumbs:

Thanks Ian, that's the plan anyway :D

It's the axle pin that's seized on Ewan's. It will lift a wheel rather than tilt the axle! :o

Luckily mine wasn't too bad, I pumped some grease into it and it's a lot better now, what is Ewan's steering like?

Tom

Did you find the steering box very hard to rebuild? I keep contemplating doing mine because it's done then and I can leave it alone!

What are your opinions of the Cub then? ;)

Tom

The Cub made it to Rural past times and all went well. I was very pleased as I was a bit worried it wasn't going to be ready. The engine runs sweet as a nut and the transmission drives well however I did notice that the axles were leaking which is a common problem on these as the axle seals going and also the bronze bushes wear. £15 got me both seals and bushes from a local bearing supplier which was much cheaper than genuine.

Axle carriers off:

EB8F538F-65D5-408E-A7B5-AD533DD3BE4C.jpg

Lots of old oil and dirt:

533C591D-36A2-41CA-A888-34AA02F9E635.jpg

9B6067ED-0726-43C0-B53E-90E4FD29D6F8.jpg

All cleaned up and ready to go back together:

D2B3D609-8256-4806-AE98-14E390A48D96.jpg

All finished:

18F7ACB7-5AC2-4CDE-9091-26FBCCC137A2.jpg

Tested it and no leaks and the axles are perfect now with no play, it is a lot better. The only thing left to do now is change the drive belt as it is quite perished and has a few cracks. I have to admit this Cub is by far my favourite tractor :ph34r:

Tom