Charlie Smith

Anyone ever home built a stack exhaust for a garden tractor?

Hello all,

Have any of you ever built a stack exhaust for a garden tractor of some kind? If so do you have a thread on it somewhere? Or does anyone have any links to somone building one,

I'd like to see how to go around it, I know in my head, just want to get a few ideas :)

Charlie, the original exhaust on the 121 was a pious one. Very holy. I cut the manifold end off it and turned it up instead of down. I had some pipe that just fitted over it. Drilled lots of holes in it, cut some slots in one end and that is held with an exhaust clamp.  

The stainless pipe and flap I liberated from under a bench in expeatfarmers workshop. I turned two spacers to slide over the inner pipe and inside the stainless outer. These were welded to the inner pipe. One at one end. The other about an inch and a half from the other end.

Loft insulation was packed between the two pipes as I inserted the inner pipe into the outer one. I then drilled and tapped two holes opposite each other, through the stainless pipe and into the lower spacer. Two 6mm stainless hex head screws keep everything together.

I did fit a mute in the outlet end of the inner pipe, a plug with a smaller hole than the pipe bore, to quieten it a bit more. But it didn't reckon much to the idea and spat it out.

Slightly late to the stack party, the one I made for the 6x6 used bit's of Ford exhausts and a Harris racing end can from a..   Er.... Big engined bike but I can't remember which..

Thank you for that offer Nigel, but I've changed my mind, im going to keep the standard exhaust on it,

You mean to say, I've done all that typing for nowt? :rolleyes:

Not at all Norm. I read all that and took it in, I even started checking about for materials, but adapting my plough has to be done first ready for a few shows, I may come back to this idea soon :)

On mine i first used a bit of vacuüm cleaner pipe, the shiny kind. Cut off the bendy bit of the original wh muffler(it was badly infected with tinworm) turner that bendybit till it was facing up, cut some slits in the pipe and put it on with a hose clamp.

Second one i tot some pipe with threads and a 45 and 90 degree bendybit with a 40€ stack muffler