Alan

BOLENS STASH UPDATE

Cant make it today Alan, trying to get my stuff ready for Wiston at the weekend.

Unless there's something you've found for me

Nothing found for you today Chris, but did find the cowling / fuel tank for the small engine unearthed last week.  This turned out to be a 65cc BSA industrial engine.

Also found a Villiers kick start engine in the loft, ex mower by the look of it, and a can of RED paint. :)

Not Bolens, but part of the stash.

Chris and I extracted this Atlas Shaper from the back of the barn today. :tthankyou: for the help Chris.

Easier than expected with a bit of thought and forward planning.

post-385-0-86074000-1436912298_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-73505800-1436912363_thumb.jpg

It gave Chris the opportunity to try out his re engined Raider 12 too, especially when removing  the

last two Westwoods from their burial ground.  They fought back, but the Raider won.

Who needs a Bolens when a Horse will do, :bow:  said Chris.

It gave Chris the opportunity to try out his re engined Raider 12 too, especially when removing  the

last two Westwoods from their burial ground.  They fought back, but the Raider won.

Who needs a Bolens when a Horse will do, :bow:  said Chris.

I better come and collect that red Bolens if you can manage with a less capable tractor :yankchain:

Nice extraction, those shapers are not light

Iain

I better come and collect that red Bolens if you can manage with a less capable tractor :yankchain:

Nice extraction, those shapers are not light

Iain

Red Bolens :scratchhead: What Red Bolens. ?

That's a nice little shaper. I've done no amount of work on it's bigger relatives over the years.

Looks like a handy mini digger in the back ground.

Yes, the digger is handy. Mainly used now for shifting things around. It will be one of the last items to go.

Yes, the digger is handy. Mainly used now for shifting things around. It will be one of the last items to go.

flippin eck, not much gets past Norm. Took me 10 mins to see what you were on about...

I may have a punt on the digger when the time comes Alan B)

I got a shovel and a mattock....

Me too, and a 8lb maul and a two wheeled wheel barrow that can easily hold 400lbs of dirt, keeps me in shape  for when I have to move my 315lb electric motor to another spot, I've been using it as a door stop until last week when I sold it. The guy that came to get it said he was disabled (didn't appear so, but okay) and happily asked me to lift it onto the tailgate of his truck, knowing how much it weighed.

It's not RED and it's not a SPRINTER, but still big enough for Iain and Malcolm to return to Norfolk with another load of goodie's.

post-385-0-01777200-1437600931_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-02850400-1437601005_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-54593700-1437601060_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-35631300-1437601126_thumb.jpg

Although he tried to resist ( but not very hard ) Iain hoped he wouldn't get into too much trouble with his boss when she saw his latest load.

He also spotted more useful junk, I mean more useful project material, which means another return trip when the boss cools off.

Malcolm had more self control and only went home with the Atlas Shaper, his reason for the visit.  Well, OK. A few more bits too.

Thanks to both, and Mr Showman too, for helping to dump lots more scrap into the skip. A big help to John and I.

Alan

It was another good adventure and great to see Alan and John again. I really enjoyed meeting Mr Showman and talking to him about his projects.

This was trip number five to see Alan and John and I have already starting thinking about the next time...

On the way home the boss phoned to ask what I had got for them. I told her that I had got a trailer each for the kids and a plant pot lifter for her. She was a little surprised to see that the plant pot lifter looked a bit like a small engine crane :D  

I was not permitted food or drink after 10pm last night due to some boring medical stuff today, so it was a bonus to get home a 9.45 so I could down a beer before the deadline. :)

Thanks guys

Iain

Today I finally collected the Bolens tiller and the FMC wheel weights from Alan in deepest Surrey a round trip of just over 400 miles. I met up with Chris, aka the Showman and John, the owner who was pleased that the tiller was off to a good home as he can't take it with him!

Unfortunately I could only spare an hour and a half exploring the site and having a guided tour with Alan before rushing back to Devon. I only wished I had deeper pockets and the space to take more stuff back. The red Bolens was a beauty and it was good to see it in action transporting the tiller to my car. I was rather taken by the Cub Cadet there as well as Alan's Roper. The Morris Marinas were great to see but I did not have time to see the Ital van.

The tiller and wheel weights are now under cover awaiting a through clean. My thanks to both Alan and Chris for thier warm welcome. It's pleasingto see Chris supporting and helping Alan (and John) out with the clearance of items and materials.

Today I finally collected the Bolens tiller and the FMC wheel weights from Alan in deepest Surrey a round trip of just over 400 miles. I met up with Chris, aka the Showman and John, the owner who was pleased that the tiller was off to a good home as he can't take it with him!

Unfortunately I could only spare an hour and a half exploring the site and having a guided tour with Alan before rushing back to Devon. I only wished I had deeper pockets and the space to take more stuff back. The red Bolens was a beauty and it was good to see it in action transporting the tiller to my car. I was rather taken by the Cub Cadet there as well as Alan's Roper. The Morris Marinas were great to see but I did not have time to see the Ital van.

The tiller and wheel weights are now under cover awaiting a through clean. My thanks to both Alan and Chris for thier warm welcome. It's pleasingto see Chris supporting and helping Alan (and John) out with the clearance of items and materials.

Good score Andrew, what model tiller is it. You will like using any Bolens tiller, no other works as well

Alain,

It is a 'round top' tiller with the extension bolted on. Here the photos of it. I have a lift handle from my other one I got earlier this year so I will use that as a template to fabricate one.

post-259-0-94607200-1438203850.jpg

post-259-0-53605900-1438203893.jpg

There is an inspection plate on that tiller, you might want to remove it and inspect not only the worm drive gear, but the geared bushing inside it that connects to the tiller shafts. The tiller shaft itself has a toothed part that works with the bronze bushing, it is this bronze bushing inside the bearing that often wears out. Good  score and good luck, will look forward to you getting it sorted out.