C-101plowerpower

Briggs model N with Bendix-Westinghouse compressor

That is awesome Koen, and I'm jealous!  :lol:  Parts for the Model N are still fairly easy to find if you need them. There is one thing you will need to take care of before running it for extended periods of time. Its missing the shield that wraps around the cylinder to circulate air all the way around for cooling. I like the early models like that one, as they use an oil pump instead of a dipper on the rod. I have a very similar engine to that one, except yours is a couple years older. Here is a pic of mine. Look forward to updates!  :thumbs:

Matt

The last couple pics are of an original one, and it belongs to a friend of mine (Den).

post-112-0-34662800-1436726424_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-71872400-1436726427_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-40892500-1436726430_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-94060100-1436726432_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-21847400-1436726586.jpg

post-112-0-41040400-1436726587.jpg

Thanks Matt, found out that putting briggs part numbers through eBay gives you all ya need :) one thing i'm almost certain of is that i'll be searching for a new crank. I dont think the keyway should be gone, or rather filled up with werd by the looks of it

Thanks Matt, found out that putting briggs part numbers through eBay gives you all ya need :) one thing i'm almost certain of is that i'll be searching for a new crank. I dont think the keyway should be gone, or rather filled up with werd by the looks of it

The cranks on these kick start engines don't have a keyway Koen. They just have a hole drilled in them for the pulley set screw. Here is a picture of mine.

Matt

post-112-0-32615900-1436727660_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-36466000-1436727760_thumb.jpg

You are a bit nutty Koen.  :P  Engine sounds solid, but, its flooding, and it sounded like it tried to over speed at the end. Have you tried twisting the fuel screw on the bottom of the carburetor in some? Also may want to check the governor. I really like it.  ;)

Matt

You are a bit nutty Koen.  :P  Engine sounds solid, but, its flooding, and it sounded like it tried to over speed at the end. Have you tried twisting the fuel screw on the bottom of the carburetor in some? Also may want to check the governor. I really like it.  ;)

Matt

i figured out why its flooding, float needle doesn't seal. if i open the fuel shut off just a tad it runs pretty nice  :) the governor isn't connected atm, and don't know how it's supposed to connect to the carb

i figured out why its flooding, float needle doesn't seal. if i open the fuel shut off just a tad it runs pretty nice  :) the governor isn't connected atm, and don't know how it's supposed to connect to the carb

I'm headed to work right now, but when I get home I'll get you some detailed pics of the governor assembly. A bad needle is fairly common on these little flowjet carbs.

M

I'm headed to work right now, but when I get home I'll get you some detailed pics of the governor assembly. A bad needle is fairly common on these little flowjet carbs.

M

anyway i can reseat the needle or perhaps find a rebuild kit somewhere?

If your unable to get the needle and seat sealing properly, the Briggs part # for the carburetor kit is 291691, and they are still available from Briggs, and aftermarket. Most of the modern kits don't have all of the proper parts for these old carburetors. However, the needle and seats they supply usually work ok, although they require bending a tab down on the float, because the needle in the kits is usually taller than oe. The main body gasket in the modern kits work well, although the venturi gasket supplied in them is not the correct one for our carburetors, but most the time, you don't have to replace that gasket. 

If you want a kit with all the correct parts, you have to buy one of the vintage Briggs kits like this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage-Briggs-Stratton-Carburetor-Kit-Part-Number-291691-/151732059572?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2353ef7db4

Here are a few pics of the governor on a model N. 

Matt

post-112-0-24651400-1436815121_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-92719000-1436815127_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-67201500-1436815134_thumb.jpg

whohooow found more info on the compressor, the name of the compressor was COMPRESSOR, AIR, PORTABLE TYPE, 4 CUBIC FEET,

GASOLINE ENGINE-DRIVEN-No. 66-C-1380

as stated in this manual http://carl.army.mil/wwIItms/TM9_834_1944.pdf 

the compressor is mentioned from page 51. 

i was told all this on the Keep Them Rolling forum(dutch WW2 stuff forum)

pictures of the machine in action can be found here

http://forum.ktr.nl/index.php/topic,4060.0.html