rog8811

Old machine I am digging out tomorrow

An update on this one, the car is sold and has another amazing twist, I have copied and pasted this from the Wolseley forum....

.......Thank you Roger.
Well, I would say that you would be hard pushed to dream up this story.

After reading with interest the story of the freed 6/90 from it's 40 year old tomb, I had a feeling that there was more to this than met MY eye.
Firstly I recognised the building in the background from where the car was being rescued from, next I noticed the recovery was a local company to me and to 
really wet my whistle, I noticed one of the recovery guys as a mate. 
A careful re-track of Roger's posts revealed this tomb opening was taking place in my home town of Dorking, no wonder I knew that odd shaped building but 
a property I'd only viewed from the roadside.
A quick google earth search confirmed that we were looking at the rear of this building and also showed lock-up garages behind it, something I didn't know.

Moving back 40 years....gonna reveal my age here!....I used to work with a guy, which I'm simply going to refer to as Peter. I was a keen 17 year old, just passed my driving test
and had the most unreliable Renault R10 as a first car. 
Peter was the driver of a Tanker for our local council and I was his Tanker mate. Rules disallowed drivers to lone operate, so as I was an important part of
his day Peter would pick me up on the mornings my dam French machine wouldn't start, (which was more often than not)

Peter's chosen mode of transport was a large grey Wolseley 6/90.
We worked well together and he'd often let me drive the tanker around the quite country lanes. I recall a time that we both went in the council yard one Saturday to drop the 
gearbox on his big old Wolseley and changed the clutch.I passed my HGV driving test and me and Peter split crews. Thanks Pete for all that extra driver training.

Back to the entombed Wolseley.....Now I've worked out that this car is in Dorking, I've now also recalled that Peter lived next door to the building/shop in Roger's photo's
and recalled that Peter had a BIG Wolseley 40 years back.
Roger had revealed that he was dealing with the tomb opening for his uncle, and now I'm thinking....could this be Peter's old car? ...was this where Peter stored it? surely not, 
not after all this time!
All it left me was to PM Roger and hope he would call me.

The same day I received a telephone call and within minutes Roger revealed that it WAS Peter's car and YES, it was the same car that he had all them years ago.
I explained the above situation and I believe he was as shocked as me.

Within an hour and a half I was on his driveway with my 6/110 and uncovering a very large Wolseley 6/90 in grey, the very same vehicle that Peter used to drag me to work on many a cold
morning back in the mid 70s .........UNBELEIVABLE!!!

I made an offer to buy it there and then and had it confirmed today by Roger, that Peter was SO SO happy that the car was going to me and sent a message that the deal
was good, only if I took him out in his old car when I'd returned it to the road.....

PETER, it will be an honour to return the favours you did me all them years ago...a wild, party going, discovered girly's, candle burner from both ends, long haired (the fashion) 17 year old. It's a CHALLENGE mate.

That's a really great story. I'm sure the old girl will soon be back to her former glory. And I hope Peter will get his ride in her. :thumbs:

Roger, you'll have to ask the new owner, if he would be so kind as to put on a progress report on here, please.