Darmic1

Farmers Boy Minor

Hi Darren,your parts are going in the post today-I just hadn't had time to strip them till this morning sorry. Make sure you wash the filter when it arrives in petrol or similar as it may be a bit dirty. I know titch does the new I'd plates for the engine.

It's starting to look really good, I usually paint mine in John dere green as I bought a very large tin of it way back.

Cheers Gareth! This green is what was beneath the brushed on dark green. No progress today after this mornings excitement. Im back to work tomorrow, so wont be much progress for the next week!

Thanks! I really did think the engine was beyond saving when opened up. However Gareth persuaded me to give it a go..... Its suprising how bad these little engines can be and yet still be bought back from the brink. 'They sure dont make 'em like they used too!'

Just hope the rest of the machine can be rescued!

Hi Phil, Could you get a close up of the handlebars please? As I say, mine are missing and I'm gonna make some new ones......... Ordered 3m of 1" diameter tubing today, just need to find a way of bending it!

Thanks Ian, Am going to try to get it done in time to bring to Isfield......... Have 18 days and counting!

Not had much time this week.  But have managed to move things along a bit. The fuel tank has been stripped, repaired and primed. The gearbox is now stripped down, cleaned, de-burred the gears and the outer case is now in primer ready for its top coat. The rest of metal work is at the blasters. Have even managed to order the steel tube and a decent tube bender to reproduce the 'missing' handle bars, couldn't believe what a local company were asking just to supply and bend a bit of tubing!    

post-106-0-68989400-1443735854_thumb.jpgpost-106-0-52849600-1443735865_thumb.jpgpost-106-0-56934200-1443735882_thumb.jpg

The Insomnia is back!

So I thought i'd show you what I have done with the 1st of my days off. I haven't been happy with the flat colour supplied by the paint shop, so took some bits from the 2nd machine along and trawled through their colour chips until we found what we think is the perfect colour match to the original metallic finish. Its odd how when these machines were made they were able to mix a metallic paint which had a gloss finish to it, yet today it has to be a 2 stage, base colour and clear coat process! 

The bits were given several light coats of the base and left for around 2 hours to dry. I then activated the 2K clear and sprayed light coats over the base colour.

post-106-0-30870800-1445398572_thumb.jpg.

I then stripped the engine back to a point where I could respray it to the correct colour. Before painting and to ensure a good adhesion I lightly 'scotch bright' the surface and then began the process again. Here's the engine now in the correct colour. 

post-106-0-33787600-1445398952_thumb.jpg

Fuel tank was next.......I do like the finish with these ProXL products!

post-106-0-40140100-1445399098_thumb.jpg

Refitted the cowling once dry and the various bits removed for painting back on the Villiers.

post-106-0-96574600-1445399280_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys, and thanks Paul! Paul? Do you happen to have one of those locking clutch levers that we spoke about at Isfield? One that you would be willing to part with???