Wallfish

Ohlsson & Rice (O&R) engine powered tools

Another hobby of mine is collecting these cool little O&R gas powered tools and engines. Most were manufactured here in the USA but there are plenty of others that were made in the UK and other countries.

Here's a Bridges Mini-Mota Drill that I had shipped in from the UK. You move the chuck to different spots on the gearbox to change the rpm. Not sure why anything would need to be drilled at 6300 rpm, but it's there if you want to.

post-9-0-99624700-1390759344_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-50868000-1390759391_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-24634600-1390759416_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wallfish

This is my collection of O&R powered Comet brand tools. Chainsaw, Circular saw, Water Pump and Drill. the second picture is the manufacturer's sales picture 

post-9-0-47045800-1390759857_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-49534400-1390764165_thumb.jpg

Edited by nylyon

That's a beauty...

is that original condition, or been restored John? 

Original but cleaned up. I prefer to keep them original if possible but I do have some that need to be restored. Here is that Comet chainsaw all done with a rebuilt engine.

post-9-0-34620200-1390760230_thumb.jpg

Also from the UK is this Kemm rough grass trimmer. This one will need a restore and I'll try to get to it in the spring. Looks like I'll need decals made for this one.

post-9-0-65102600-1390760895_thumb.jpg

Some more videos.

A Dyna-Mite generator, another Drillgine, the LiT General auger and a Tiny Tiger generator

th_Dyna-Mitevideo.jpg

th_S3607982.jpg

th_LiTGeneral_zps14a112f3.jpg

th_S3607934.jpg

Edited by Wallfish

Maybe one of you UK guys can help me locate one of these UK tools? Or any unique O&R powered tools.

It's a "Turbair Tot"  All I have is pictures but would love to own one these someday.

post-9-0-94091500-1390766828_thumb.jpg

Hello Wallfish, these sets were distributed in the UK by Tarpen Engineering

I have a large and ever growing collection of Tarpen tools and was lucky enough to purchase one of these sets in 2013

Photo shows my set at our local meet and greet at Xmas 2013.

Another photo from a show in June 2013 showing my Turbair set flanked by a pair of Landmaster rotavators

post-99-0-33679200-1390770598_thumb.jpg

post-99-0-90300600-1390770785_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info. Don't know much about them or the company name so that may help me find one.

Do you know if Tarpen made any other power tools using the O&R engines?

Those old rotavators are interesting machines!

It's probably a good thing that I don't have the room to collect larger things like that. I could go poor collecting old machines.

Oh Boy, a whole new set of hard to find stuff to look for.

That's one fun thing about O&R collecting, there are always new and unknown applications popping up all the time.

Thanks again!

ahhh , this is what its all about , interesting, well made, different tools , just what this site was set up for

Thanx for the pics John

Second that - thanks for showing us your collection which is impressive John.

Andy

Original but cleaned up. I prefer to keep them original if possible but I do have some that need to be restored. Here is that Comet chainsaw all done with a rebuilt engine.

Look's Very tidy and well cared for John. What sort of age are we talking here, as I can't see a Chain Brake and is the Chain Oil feed manual or Auto pumped?.  Only ask, as I hope to bring a '71-ish Poulan Model 25 back to life and that is devoid of a Brake or Auto pump. Thanks

We have had some difficulty determining the exact years of production for most of the O&R stuff but they were all made from late 50's into the mid 70s. We are able to estimate dates by different upgrades to the engines over the years and service documents. This Comet chainsaw was an early production so it's from the early to mid 60s. No brake and has a manual oiler. It has a small pump at the base of the handle in the back and uses a small copper tube to feed the oil up to the chain. That black button on the back of the handle is the oil pump, it slides down, using your thumb.

Here's a link to my O&R forum which has lots of pics and information for different tools and things if you're interested

http://ohlssonandrice.forumer.com/index.php

Here's another rare and strange O&R powered tool. Petro Products drill from the early 60s. Kind of reminds me of Flash Gordon.

My grandson saw it, got all excited and asked "Can I shoot it?". He thought it was a cool looking gun. 

post-9-0-26944500-1398385341_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-67944000-1398385354_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-71543000-1398385366_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-23709800-1398385385_thumb.jpg