Triumph66

Bolens 850

I bought another Bolens, this time a 850 with a deck from Hampshire. Date yet to be verified but it from the mid to late 60s. I was particularly attracted to the go faster blue stripe on the bonnet. Also it's nice to have a different front decal of the Husky Man and not the Husky Dog on the front. The engine require some pistons and hopefully it will be up and running again. Thanks to Chris for collecting it and storing it.

post-259-0-23866900-1449951560.jpeg

post-259-0-49828900-1449951580.jpeg

post-259-0-78021900-1449951597.jpeg

Well after my sat nav took me to the wrong side of Hampshire I got it back safe for Andrew :D

The con rod is smashed to pieces so requires some TLC

There is alot more blue on top of the bonnet than was shown in the pics

Another good white tractor saved by Andrew

Oh & by the way I had to save my own example of an 850 also as did not want to feel left out :) . Get it in the new year B)

The blue on the 850 will compliment my Ford 100!

It's a strange area that neck of the wood Chris. Back in the late '90s I worked and lived very near to the seller of the tractor at a National Trust property called West Green House and Gardens. Apparently, when the area was being updated by Ordnance Survey, the little triangle of Phoenix Green, just outside Hartley Witney was missing from the map. It was known locally as the Hampshire Triangle on a par to the Bermuda Triangle. I am just so pleased that my latest Bolens was retrieved successfully and that it is not disappeared like so many others ........ I am sorry if I didn't mention it Chris!

I hear that Iain collected your 850 yesterday as well.

The Bolens 850 was made the same four years as the Bolens 1050, 1966 to 1969. The Husky Man was featured during these years and up until around 1971-72 when the Husky Dog came around, the Husky Dog may have also ushered in the Black and White tractors. The 850 and 1050 started out White in 1966 but as each year progressed they got a little less White, no one knows why and most people did not notice, but if they were sitting side by side at a dealership you could tell which ones were the newer model year. The model designation was the 191-01 in 1966 and in 1967 changes made to the tractor made it a 191-02, no other model changes in 1968 or 1969 other than the hood and fender color so the tractor ended the run in 1969 as a 191-02. The engine was a 8.25 horsepower Wisconsin S-8D and came standard with electric start, but lights were an option. The drive train was a 3 speed and featured that a Hi-Low option with a locking differential on the outside left axle. It is important to note that most all first year tractors, big and small alike (and automobiles) started production at least three months and sometimes as many as six months prior to the model year. Meaning that a the low serial number 1966 model 191-01 Bolens 850 was likely made in the summer or fall of 1965. 

This is my 850 which I also brought last week from fellow forum member Tom. At least its the correct colour but needs TLC.

The dyno start is missing but as Andrews engine is broken I will just use his :D  :P

post-162-0-12136000-1450208507.jpg

Here's my 1254 with some Agri Tyres. The rear tyres will be put on my original wheels and 8 have also ordered some tri ribs for the front. The front decal shown the Bolens Husky Dog. Also got a dyno start on it as well.......

post-259-0-77475500-1450210972_thumb.jpe

It might be worth seeing if the blue paint will T cut off Andrew rather than a full repaint..

Thanks Ian; that's what I am hoping to do. The seller also suggested that as well.

Cheers

When I popped into seeing Chris this afternoon. I set eyes on my latest Bolens, the 850, for the first time. I can't wait to get it back to my place some time to give it a damn good clean with a pressure washer and to carry out a light recommissioning of the old girl. Hopefully Chris will get the old engine fired up. Again, I am struck by how well made these Tube Frames are .:)

I had the chance to have a very quick look at Andrew's 850 yesterday when I was dropping a tractor off for Chris.

Just happened to be another 850 :D  B)

If we took Andrew's, Chris's and my 850, pulled them apart and made one from the best parts, it could save us all a lot of time :-)

Iain

If we took Andrew's, Chris's and my 850, pulled them apart and made one from the best parts, it could save us all a lot of time :-)

Iain

That's right; I just need a few parts to make mine the best!