zipfelmuetze

Versatiller

Hi,

my name is Stephan and I am new here. I live in Suffolk (originally from Germany) and recently I bought a Versatiller on ebay (some of you might have seen it). It is in good shape but needs some TLC before it can do it`s job in the garden. I`m about to heat up the shed and was wondering if someone could help me out with repair manuals or spare part lists before I take it apart? I was also wondering what kind of engine it is (can`t find any plates or stickers).

Cheers,

Stephan

post-691-0-71769200-1453376878_thumb.jpg

Thank You all for this warm welcome - it is much appreciated! I will post some good pictures of the engine during the weekend when I´m home again.

Cheers,

Steph

Welcome Stephan (Like your Username meaning :) ).

Nice Project there, a few parts to obtain I see.

I tend to also suspect it is a Techy Engine with an unusual Air Filter?.

Carbureter on them can be a challenge to set on some versions, but Engine Manual is available to download and some parts still available.

Look forward to seeing it running and working.

Hello Stephan and welcome to MOM

That's a Versatiller Mark 4 and the engine should be an Aspera/Tecumseh

I have a small manual for the machine and I might have some engine literature I will have a look

Looks like your machine is missing the cowling/guard in front of the engine, looks a tidy machine though :thumbs:

Welcome Stephan (Like your Username meaning :) ).

Nice Project there, a few parts to obtain I see.

I tend to also suspect it is a Techy Engine with an unusual Air Filter?.

Carbureter on them can be a challenge to set on some versions, but Engine Manual is available to download and some parts still available.

Look forward to seeing it running and working.

It wasn't so much the carb itself that was the issue but the lack of support in the way it was mounted leading to warped manifold flanges and air leaks etc. The Asperas of the day, had a reputation for poor starting but it was nearly always down to a combination of air leaks and lack of valve maintenance. Correctly maintained they were fine and the vertical shaft models had pressure lubrication while Briggs continued with splash for years.

As far as I can see, the unusual air cleaner  was the standard one for the day - an oval tin can with a sponge in it; a similar one, turned through ninety degrees was used on all the early two stroke Flymos.

Now Stephan will tell us that it's a Clinton!

Certainly no Clinton  ;) Besides, I live in Stowmarket where Atco originally came from - strictly Flymo-free zone here!

I couldn´t resist to pull the starter a couple of times - to no avail! Compression was almost non-existent so I assume some work is needed. @ pmackellow - any kind of literature is very welcome. It would certainly speed-up restoration. spring is coming for sure and I need to combine a large pile of compost with good, heavy East Anglian clay soil...

Cheers,

Steph

Certainly no Clinton  ;) Besides, I live in Stowmarket where Atco originally came from - strictly Flymo-free zone here!

I couldn´t resist to pull the starter a couple of times - to no avail! Compression was almost non-existent so I assume some work is needed. @ pmackellow - any kind of literature is very welcome. It would certainly speed-up restoration. spring is coming for sure and I need to combine a large pile of compost with good, heavy East Anglian clay soil...

Cheers,

Steph

Point of order! 

ATCO  (The Atlas Chain Company) did not originate in Stowmarket which was the home of the Suffolk Iron Foundry, but in Birmingham !

Edited by Wristpin

Point of order! 

ATCO  (The Atlas Chain Company) did not originate in Stowmarket which was the home of the Suffolk Iron Foundry, but in Birmingham !

Interesting! Didn´t know that. Never stop learning...

Cheers,

Steph

from experience no compression tend to caused by a  stuck exhaust valve on an aspera, every aspera i've worked on had this problem, (cept one) caused by a small piece of metal holding the valve open, which at the time i thought maybe a piece of exhaust baffle, (low quality component?) never been a fan of techy/aspera engine's there fine if well maintained but don't tolerate any abuse well, ;)

Certainly most Asperas of a certain age will repay a proper valve job - refaced valves and skimmed seats, BUT be careful to have the cam correctly positioned when checking / setting the valve clearances . The piston needs to be a quarter of an inch down the bore on the power stroke. Get it wrong and gap the valve when it is still on the decompressor and it will BITE!!

Here's the manual, not the right engine info but Anglo Traction will hopefully point you to an online download

Private Message me with a name & address and I will put a copy in the post for you, scanner u/s on my printer so

I will do you a paper copy :thumbs:

post-99-0-63069700-1453560480_thumb.jpg

post-99-0-31151700-1453560520_thumb.jpg

Matter of opinion, good engine if oil changes and general maintenance is kept up, but if it's not they tend to be unforgiving, I had two asperas thow conrods on Howard Rotavator because my partners never heard of checking the oil on a machine before use, the first one I let her off,after the second shes been demoted to a fork and spade

Here's the manual, not the right engine info but Anglo Traction will hopefully point you to an online download

Private Message me with a name & address and I will put a copy in the post for you, scanner u/s on my printer so

I will do you a paper copy :thumbs:

WOW ! That´s exactly what I was looking for  :)  :wub:

PM is on it´s way!

Cheers,

Steph

Matter of opinion, good engine if oil changes and general maintenance is kept up, but if it's not they tend to be unforgiving, I had two asperas thow conrods on Howard Rotavator because my partners never heard of checking the oil on a machine before use, the first one I let her off,after the second shes been demoted to a fork and spade

I wouldn´t be too surprised if there is only little oil left in the engine or even an oil/water mixture. Looks like it stood outside for long time and was just hastily painted at some point in the past. I will keep you all up-to-date with the progress, however, house renovation first (can of worms!)

Cheers,

Stephan