expeatfarmer

Ransomes Sand Skimming Tractor

Do you know of any other sand skimmers that have survived intact into preservation? I've heard of dumpers that have come from water treatment works but I wonder what happened to the skimmers.

I bought 310 from an elderly gentleman in Dorset, he told me he bought it from the auction at the STEAM Fair about 25 years ago and at the time there was a fuuly rebuilt shiny machine alongside which he thinks was sold to someone from Hull I have never heard of one since. I also have sand skimmer 311 but that has been cut down to just the body tracks and transmission.Considering that probably about twenty machines were built I would be surprised if there was not one lurking somewhere. Both mine are ex Bristol waterboard.

While looking through old photos for some of my machines to post on the forum I came across a small collection of Ransomes photos. They were included along with some literature I had bought a good few years ago on that auction site.

One that stands out shows the back end of a sand skimmer. In one of the other photos taken at a vintage rally there is a sign that says Kent & Sussex which would suggest that it was down the south somewhere. I wonder if that skimmer is still lying outside?

post-293-0-85564300-1454629104_thumb.jpg

How long ago do you think it was Rob. looks like an abandoned nursery there is a derelict polytunnel in the background.Looks as if most of it is still there wow that would be a find. I will take the picture to Malvern and post it it with a do you know where this is.

Hi, I reckon it was probably sometime around 2009, maybe 2010. I can't seem to search that far back through my purchases on ebay, that way I might have been able to narrow it down to a few sellers.

There is only that one photo of the sand skimmer, the rest are of various Ransomes at different shows. In one photo the exhibit number has 'Festival of Transport' along the top and a sign in the background reads 'Kent and Sussex Fuel Services'. A couple of other photos look very like Dorset Steam Fair.

I'll scan a few of them later and post them on a new thread.

Rob

There is only that one photo of the sand skimmer, the rest are of various Ransomes at different shows. In one photo the exhibit number has 'Festival of Transport' along the top and a sign in the background reads 'Kent and Sussex Fuel Services'.

The way I read this is that there is only one pic of the skimmer. The other pictures are of common Ransomes at the festival of transport, nothing to do with the skimmer therefor the Kent and Sussex fuel services won't lead us to the skimmer?

Its not the polytunnel that I think I reconise its the houses behind I copied the photo and blew it up if its the houses that I think then opposite is a river and over the other side of that river is a derelict small holding which is only 3 miles from Kent and Sussex fuels

Back home a bit later than I expected. Have scanned some of the other photos of Ransome MGs and added them in a new post in the ride on section.

Rocboni is correct in that there is only that one photo of the skimmer, the rest are of general MGs being exhibited at events. Sorry if my wording caused any misunderstanding earlier.

Rob