expeatfarmer

Ransomes Sand Skimming Tractor

post-292-0-87988900-1455306060_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-89460500-1455306081_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-31365600-1455306104_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-55284500-1455306125_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-32988000-1455306148_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-57425200-1455306176_thumb.jpg

Started work on sand skimming tractor again, Norman and I towed it down to the workshop on Wednesday and winched it on to the lift, just fits with a scrape on either side, lift is brilliant I can set it so that I can crawl inside to get to the back of the gearbox. I have fitted a replacement 3 speed gearbox and renovated the power take off, both of which had been removed and modified when Ford engine fitted. Been struggling today with gear change cable it was free running when off the machine but when in situ is too tight for gearchange lever to move have run 1/2 pint of plus gas through it and spent half an hour pulling it back and forth from the gearbox end but still not good enough hoping I can find a new one. The engine is ready to lift in but first I have to weld in a new support plate as again this was cut away to fit the Ford unit.

Pity you didn't find it sooner Jonathan...

The cable will be be solid is it, I wonder if it's like what outboard motors use to steer? You could maybe cut one down.

https://www.mailspeedmarine.com/33c-inboard-outboard-cables.html?499=13853&gclid=CJvUk_iN88oCFXcW0wodaLoMJA

Remember the little square raised blocks for the engine mounting, when replacing the floor.

With a bit of encouragement from Norman and Rhys we managed to dismantle the stiff cable cleaned it up on the wire wheel loads of copper slip and it was good as new, removed the gear change slide from the gearbox and made sure that was free now all working as it should. Rhys re assembled the brakes so all we need now is the engine mounting plate and engine in.

Repaired and strengthened the engine bay floor today using heavy angle iron and 3mm plate. I cut the plate to the ford gearbox cut out using a plasma cutter, welded in the plate and then ground the welds flush. Just given it a rough coat of primer to stop it rusting. Drill the engine bolt holes in the morning and then fit the engine. Waiting for my professional seat fitter to arrive and fit the new skimmer seat. Had a test sit yesterday definitely not a job you could do with a kilt on !!!

post-292-0-48673900-1455472898_thumb.jpg Would have been nice to restore the body side plates but at this stage I dont know if Ransomes cut them away when fitting the auger orv if it was done later so no point until I have some more bits.

post-292-0-24548600-1455567400_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-57242500-1455567417_thumb.jpg

Engine mounted today, timed up magneto and fitted carb, two of the manifold blots needed to be tapped oversize. I was going to retain the marine throttle lever meantime but the amount of travel is far too much for the 356 carb so looked out a long cable that will fit an original Ransomes throttle lever. Norman has fitted up the seat frame adjusters using the spare frame and slides from the Turf Trak, needs a bit more fiddling though as I dont want to change too much from original.

Up and running today, fired first pull but as with 137 would not run until I turned it over with my petrol drill starter and then it ran well, not able to get a good slow tick over and still wont re start on the handle. I am going to fit another condenser in the morning as when I tested the spark with a tell tale it was firing well on no compression but no spark on compression. The condenser fitted was a NOS one but I now have some brand new ones so hope that makes the difference. This engine is in superb condition and has more compression than any of my others. Once I had it running I put it into gear only to find that the gear lever is marked up back to front reverse is forwards which caused me to just about demolish a trestle I had at the back of the machine fortunately I managed to stop it before too much damage was done. I guess that when the Ford engine and gearbox were fitted the engine turned over the opposite way to the Ransomes. I have now blanked out the markings and made up some new markers. I am going to fit an electrical stop switch at the driving point as I think that if anything goes wrong when you are sat up there on Norman's beautifully fitted seat you would be in trouble even though it only does 1 mile an hour flat out in third it would not stop even if it hit a wall it would climb up it or demolish it.

One part I am missing which would be good to have before Malvern is an oil filler cap, in the engine close up you can see the four slot location, I have scoured the usual sources but not been able to find one, if anyone has a spare that may be suitable please give me a call.

post-292-0-45650900-1455742127_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-87445200-1455742145_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-92874100-1455742166_thumb.jpg

One part I am missing which would be good to have before Malvern is an oil filler cap, in the engine close up you can see the four slot location, I have scoured the usual sources but not been able to find one, if anyone has a spare that may be suitable please give me a call.

What diameter are we looking for?

Skimmer now finished as much as it is going to be before Malvern. Changed the condenser yesterday fired up first pull on the

handle from cold. Took it for a spin around the garden Stormin will post the photos. Considering the extra track length it steers

really well even on concrete. Flat out in first gear is so slow at 25ft per minute top gear is 1 mph but it would climb the side of

a house or push it over. Glad I fitted an electrical stop you feel very vulnerable sitting up on top but not as scary as the Whitlock.

The ITW is hard to start when cold, I am sure it is a case of finding the optimum settings for choke heat and throttle. MG40N

starts first go from cold with no heat, Whitlock needed a few turns and heat but has not been run for about 4 months. Digger

fired first turn of the starter and started after a couple of goes. Old thumper 137 starts like a dream the blast off the exhaust is

amazing you can feel it at the far end of the garage. MG5 let me down, no spark so guess the mag is damp or the points stuck

just about to have a fiddle.   

Having a bit of trouble uploading photo's. Hopefully some more here.

post-111-0-19641800-1455899923_thumb.jpg

post-111-0-32639800-1455900295_thumb.jpg

post-111-0-45895500-1455900303_thumb.jpg

post-111-0-26172100-1455900311_thumb.jpg

Jonathans temporary Ransomes tent after we got the digger out.

post-111-0-97066500-1455900286_thumb.jpg

I'm saying nothing about me trying to demolish his top garage with the skimmer. :rolleyes:

It looks somewhat perilous being perched on that seat, at least the driver could probably see over the top of the pit! Imagine it with all the skimmer blades and sand conveyor belts running.