Triumph66

Bolens H16

Whilst idly browsing through Gumtree UK, I came across this H16 titled Garden Tractor. It's an hour away from me in Cornwall, just across the border. After a phone call I did quick trip to Cornwall to view the GT. The seller, an elderly but sprightly gentleman, recovering from a triple heart transplant, owned it for 25 years. He was the second owner. The previous owner traded it in for a newer machine in Exeter, Devon. He used it to mow his paddock which was grazed by donkeys. A deal was struck. His wife made me a cup of tea and made a lovely cheese sandwich with pickle. A lovely couple who lived there coming on 50 years. I asked him to write up some amusing antidotes about using the H16. It developed a starting fault some 10 years ago. He then bought a Toro which he said "isn't a patch on the old Bolens". He showed me a few other horticultural equipment that he given me first refusal. I also got the original receipt for the H16 when he bought it. He was pleased and thrilled that I am a Bolens enthusiast and that it would be looked after. I told him that I got 7 Bolens all together. That's when he invited me to have a cup of tea! I then told him that I knew several UK Bolens owners who got this particular model and that it was highly rated. That was when the sandwich was made! He told me that he was considering repowering it with a Honda engine but he couldn't bear the thought of 'ripping out the heart of the old girl'.

Can anyone tell me a but more about this H16 which is a 1656-01 # 0183284? (difficult to read the numbers). I believe it's a '73 model? It's all there and the surface is just surface rust but all original.the rear wheels are off his Toro whilst his Toro got the Bolens wheels as they are shored with Agri tyres. They will be swapped over when it's collected.

post-259-0-34450000-1457553322_thumb.jpe

post-259-0-90201900-1457553374_thumb.jpe

post-259-0-48549700-1457553445_thumb.jpe

post-259-0-42567100-1457553472_thumb.jpe

Great find Andrew.

I believe the first production run of the H16 was only 1973. Then for some reason Bolens made the H14 and not the H16 in 1974 and 1975 before the 2nd and 3rd production of the H16 in 1976, followed by the 4th in 1977. The early ones like yours were the best. 

I have four H16's and love them.

Iain

Thanks Iain. Hoping to collect it soon. I will be hiring a trailer to hook up to my Hilux. £17 to rent for the day!

Andrew, trailer is a really good idea for a H16 for a couple of reasons. They are incredibly heavy compared to other tubeframes and you can't disconnect the hydro drive like you can on a largeframe. You have to push them slowly otherwise you will wind up the transmission and it will either lock on you or make horrible noises.

Iain

Nice find its nice to see them still in there working clothes

Thanks.

When I pick it up I will be giving it a good clean and service (once the starting been sorted). Like all Bolens it's incredibly well made and the hydro is an additional bonus. :)

Andrew, if you need any advice on the H16 let me know, Mine is a 03 made in late 1976 or early 1977 whereas your 01 was made in 1973 (and possibly late in 1972) that makes it closer in kind to the 1556, than the later H16 -02 and -03's. Notable differences on the early versus late H16 is the hydro tank under the seat pan with the lid coming through the pan, the later H16 does not have a hydro tank at all. The metal versus plastic gas tank, difference in steering wheels . Difference in Hydro filters, one is an automotive screw on beside the rear tool box and the filter on the latter tractors is a small sausage style kit under the fender pan. Several more differences as well. Like I said this is more akin to the early hydro tractors than some later post 1975 and 1976 tractors. generally almost every brand made significant changes in 1974-1975, as they had four years or so prior and again about 4 years in the future. Four years was about the design life of many tractors, and while some still had many similarities and many could use the same implements there were significant mechanical and aesthetic refinements and changes.

Nice find Andrew, nice to get one with history, sounds like the previous owner was quite a character ! :thumbs::thumbs:

Paul,

The old chap is a lovely old gentlemen of the Old School; decent, honest and amusing. They live in a typical Cornish Valley with sub tropical plants surrounding them as it's so mild down there. They were only selling as they are selling up due to thier age and ill health. In his barn he got an old Fergie with a FEL and assorted old machinery in various states of dilapidation. I always like the social history of my machinery whether it's classic cars or old garden tractors. To me it's all part of the fun of buying vintage machinery. It was a lucky find as I was just idly browsing on Gumtree and I spotted this 'Ride On' in Cornwall. When I saw the price, that sold it for me.

Looking forward to pick it up soon.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew, if you need any advice on the H16 let me know, Mine is a 03 made in late 1976 or early 1977 whereas your 01 was made in 1973 (and possibly late in 1972) that makes it closer in kind to the 1556, than the later H16 -02 and -03's. Notable differences on the early versus late H16 is the hydro tank under the seat pan with the lid coming through the pan, the later H16 does not have a hydro tank at all. The metal versus plastic gas tank, difference in steering wheels . Difference in Hydro filters, one is an automotive screw on beside the rear tool box and the filter on the latter tractors is a small sausage style kit under the fender pan. Several more differences as well. Like I said this is more akin to the early hydro tractors than some later post 1975 and 1976 tractors. generally almost every brand made significant changes in 1974-1975, as they had four years or so prior and again about 4 years in the future. Four years was about the design life of many tractors, and while some still had many similarities and many could use the same implements there were significant mechanical and aesthetic refinements and changes.

Thanks Alain. Looking forward to getting it back here so I can check these things out. The oils on the dip stick looks clean. It will be great to go through it methodically. When I saw it I realised it was the same era as my front plow with the Bolens Husky Dog logo; a winning combination with the hydro on the tractor and hydro lift too. I know Iain rates it as one of his favourites; he got 4!

Andrew, I think you may be getting excited about picking it up :)

A H16 with wheel weights and a front plow is a perfect combination, hence my forum picture. With wheel weights fitted they will pull a house down.

They are great :wub:

Iain

Andrew, I think you may be getting excited about picking it up :)

A H16 with wheel weights and a front plow is a perfect combination, hence my forum picture. With wheel weights fitted they will pull a house down.

They are great :wub:

Iain

I have a set of Bolens/ FMC Wheelweights to complete that perfect combination. :) All we need is snow!

Paul,

The old chap is a lovely old gentlemen of the Old School; decent, honest and amusing. They live in a typical Cornish Valley with sub tropical plants surrounding them as it's so mild down there. They were only selling as they are selling up due to thier age and ill health. In his barn he got an old Fergie with a FEL and assorted old machinery in various states of dilapidation. I always like the social history of my machinery whether it's classic cars or old garden tractors. To me it's all part of the fun of buying vintage machinery. It was a lucky find as I was just idly browsing on Gumtree and I spotted this 'Ride On' in Cornwall. When I saw the price, that sold it for me.

Looking forward to pick it up soon.

Cheers

Andrew

I do the same Andrew, i like to spend time with the original owners or long time owners and ask them about the tractor, but also about other bits of history of what life was like for them. To have someone listen to them is a very joyous thing to many older folks and since i enjoy it as well, it is a grand time, I still converse with some of the people I bought my machines from.

I have a set of Bolens/ FMC Wheelweights to complete that perfect combination. :) All we need is snow!

Not much chance of snow in your part of the world but that is not a problem as they will push hard packed dirt just as well, who needs a dozer :) . Equally good at towing cars, 4x4's, etc.

My lad calls one of my H16's "The rescue tractor" as it is the first machine I turn to if I need to move any broken equipment.

Andrew, once you get it home you will be living the dream :D

I do the same Andrew, i like to spend time with the original owners or long time owners and ask them about the tractor, but also about other bits of history of what life was like for them. To have someone listen to them is a very joyous thing to many older folks and since i enjoy it as well, it is a grand time, I still converse with some of the people I bought my machines from.

I had a tour of thier garden too after my tea and cheese sandwich! As a Profesional gardener and former National Trust Head Gardener/Gardens Manager I was tested on my plants identification and knowledge. They want to lift some of the plants and take them to their new garden. Beautiful garden with some very tender loving plants; a plantman's garden.

Well I picked up the mighty Bolens H16 in Cornwall earlier this morning. :)

I attach some some photos of it being loaded up on to the van. To ease loading Terry's son (Mark?) and I took off the mower deck which weighs a tonne ! Terry knocked up a wooden pole which had two holes to fit over some bolts of his ride on to push the Bolens up the ramp. What I can't understand is that when I took the photos I am sure the tractor was white and not red..... Obviously someone have photoshopped my photos between me leaving Cornwall this morning to download them.

My thanks to both Terry and his son helping me load it up.

i am going to have to ask Iain for some detailed photos of his deck set up on his H16

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Andrew,

H16 looks great and very happy to help with any deck issues.

I have to pick you up on a significant issue and this is not the first time!!! In your pictures you have given the impression that a WH is pushing the Bolens. Clearly this could not be true and the Bolens must be towing the WH. If on the other hand you have a secret desire for red tractors I am sure Chris and I will happily arrange a road trip to remove the white ones to keep them safe from your photoshopping

Iain

Iain, it was an amusing 5 minutes. Terry insisted that photos were taken otherwise I would be up the Swanee by havng to push a non working hydro up those ramps on my own. However, Terry did say he preferred the H16 over his Toro....... :)

As you know it's a serious bit of kit the H16 and I can't wait to spend a bit of time to go over it.