expeatfarmer

Heathersgill Vintage Ploughing Match 20th March

I think if you were ploughing for real as opposed to show/competition then you would go much faster and not worry too much about leaving perfect furrows. Throwing the furrow over and breaking it up by ploughing faster would certainly cut down on secondary cultivation. 

Hi All

It looks as if you all had a good time,nice to share ideas and come away happy if you  come in first or last you are all winners and friends to the end

Ps Norman

You will still need one or two more trips to Scotland to learn the craft

Wee tip when ploughing the finish

The last four furrows raise the depth inch each time then last furrow make little bit deeper this gives the plough some ground to hold onto and will not slip over as you describe otherwise well done to you all

Frae the Fife plooman

Glad you enjoyed it Tam. Must admit, being my idea I was a bit worried how it would go. I hope you can all come again and bring more with you.

I'm thinking of coming up to Scone Palace again, but for the weekend this time and with the Black Horse. Put the date in the up coming shows section. :thumbs:

The match had a good write up in the Cumberland News yesterday. Some photo's, but none horticultural. We got favourable comments though. Seems we created a lot of interest with spectators and ploughmen, showing what our little machines can do. Looks like a horticultural section will be a permanent fixture. 

Many thanks to you Scots lads for attending. Couldn't have done it without you.  :thumbs: