woz

yard pro

hi, iv bought a yard pro 1860..it has a kohler 18hp twin.could you please tell me.is it a v or oposed? how good are these engines...are these gearboxs any good..its a 6 speed roper??? ......how common are they?? is it worth restoring or just modify it..seems to have acres of cheap plastic.....does anyone have any parts??

Edited by woz
i cant upload any pics for some reason

come on guys.i cant beleve with all the combined knowledge on this forum nobodys knows anything about these mowers!!!

iv had it a few days now.....i hate the bonnet.......the steering is awful and my narrow boat is more responsive........

the chassis looks decent enough.........the gearbox seems ok and the engine runs well...

has anyone any expierience with these gearboxes??  

what are these kohler horribly opposed engines like??

i cant post pics for some reason???

I know that the Kohler twin engines in the Bolens Large Frames (1886 models) have a tendency to overheat but whether that is the design of the engine or the lack of air glow within the engine bay I am not too certain. One thing for sure if the engine is shot it will be very expensive to repair.

11 minutes ago, Triumph66 said:

I know that the Kohler twin engines in the Bolens Large Frames (1886 models) have a tendency to overheat but whether that is the design of the engine or the lack of air glow within the engine bay I am not too certain. One thing for sure if the engine is shot it will be very expensive to repair.

the engine seems lovely, the previous owner had just spent £110 on a new coil for it......seems to have good oil pressure, ticks over very low and doesnt smoke..so i guess time will tell....i cant live with the bonnet and steering so its definately going to get modified...i will keep in mind the air flow..i wouldnt of given it a second thought if you hadnt of mentioned it so thanks for that tip!!!!

This one Norm. ?  With the Showman wondering what it would look like painted RED. Or is there another Alan with a roper. ?

IMG_3682.JPGIMG_3683.JPG

1978 GT16  6 speed.  16 hp Briggs horizontal opposed twin.  Not had enough use out of it since restoring, so can't really comment on how reliable the engine and transmission is, although all appears OK so far.  Just need to fit the correct drive belt instead of the temporary one.

Restoration log under 

1978 SEARS /ROPER GT16

in Step by Step restoration

On 06/05/2016 at 0:04 AM, woz said:

hi, iv bought a yard pro 1860..it has a kohler 18hp twin.could you please tell me.is it a v or oposed? how good are these engines...are these gearboxs any good..its a 6 speed roper??? ......how common are they?? is it worth restoring or just modify it..seems to have acres of cheap plastic.....does anyone have any parts??

Sounds like oposed . If you have spark plugs each side.

Kohlers are good as long as you look after them!! Clean oil & keep on the max.

Make sure carb settings are correct & it does not over rev or they can throw con rods!!

On 13 May 2016 at 8:47 PM, Chris said:

Could be yours.

Your the only one whos said they like them!!

is it for sale, I learnt to drive in one, had it as a farm car when i was growing up.  So ugly its beautiful 

Edited by dubscum