Stormin

E- tank.

I know this subject is posted elsewhere, but as I decided to make a bigger one, I thought I'd do an update. Actually, certain persons told me too.

So first a plastic drum was procured from up at a mates farm.

2016-05-25 09.53.59.jpg

Next, the top was cut off.

2016-05-25 09.54.21.jpg

I had these hooks that are for hanging florescent lights from. After cleaning the paint off the hook and the back, they were fitted to the drum. Two eye bolts were also fitted opposite to each other. These for wire or some sort of support to hang the work piece from.

2016-05-25 13.23.47.jpg

Copper wire was secured behind the hooks and out through a hole drilled in the side. Also a wire and crocodile clip secured to one of the eye bolts. The later will attach to the work piece.

2016-05-25 13.49.29.jpg

Sacrificial anodes were made using some box section with copper wire attached, so they could be hung from the hooks.

2016-05-25 14.38.15.jpg

I had an 18v battery charger for a cordless drill lying about, so this has been modified to provide the electric current. The blue wire, negative, is attached to the copper wire running round the inside of the tank. The brown wire, positive, is attached to the eye bolt with the wire and clip on.

2016-05-25 13.30.09.jpg

All that's left now is to fill it with water and add washing soda and it should work. :fingerscrossed:

The top will be fitted upside down to act as a cover. Why upside down? The barrel after being cut and having bits bolted to the sides, is distorted. Upside down it fits grand as owt.

Yes! Any charger will do. I've been using a car battery charger. 24 volts would be even better. It's not a fast process, but does allow you to do other things. And being an electrician, I'm sure you can come up with something maybe more suitable. ;)

A car battery charger will be able to supply a lot more current than a charger for a cordless. As far as I understand the more surface area the more current required? 24v at 10amps would be ideal for a tank that size.

I would probably go far a mains variac and a rectifier but not cheap.

2 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Gets rust and muck off. Not a quick process. But allows you to go off and do other things.

is it a few days to wait or hours? any before and after pics of stuff thats been through the process??

Time depends on how bad things are. Definitely days. Sorry I have no photo's. Got a chassis half submerged in my smaller one. Been in two days. May have a look in another couple of days.

1 hour ago, woz said:

is it a few days to wait or hours? any before and after pics of stuff thats been through the process??

depends how much amps you blast through, you could use a car battery charger and wait around longer. or use a dc stick welder and blast lots of amps through and wait and hour or two

22 minutes ago, the showman said:

Looks a bit of a workup to me, i'm lucky to have a local shot blasting shop near me with reasonable prices, i'll stick with that

i was wondering what it would be like for wheel horse tin work?? iv got access to a shot blaster but it really isnt a job i like and i guess it will bend the panels

9 minutes ago, woz said:

i was wondering what it would be like for wheel horse tin work?? iv got access to a shot blaster but it really isnt a job i like and i guess it will bend the panels

My bloke is very good, never had a problem with it

I have an old stick welder connected to mine after a few hours the electrolyte gets hot which makes it all work faster great for stripping off ancient paint as well as rust but eats the sacrificial anodes.