Twinsport

Got myself a Tiny Tiger. Now need gaskets, seals etc.

Greetings from Denmark!

After messing around with engines and stuff most of my life, I decided that now was the time for a Tiny Tiger.

Although my main interest is vintage motorcycles (50 years old or more), I do a little in generators as well. My pride is this WW2 Zündapp KS 600 generator, but to be honest, it's not very handy:

Zundapp%20KS600%20aggregat%2001.jpg

So now it's joined by this one:

tiny%20tiger%201.jpg

tiny%20tiger%202.jpg

tiny%20tiger%203.jpg

tiny%20tiger%204.jpg

tiny%20tiger%208.jpg

tiny%20tiger%206.jpg

tiny%20tiger%207.jpg

Being a novice in these small jewels, I have a lot of questions, but few answers.

I will tear it down and clean it up. I will keep the original condition, but will replace gaskets, seals, diaphrams spark plug etc., so the main concern is getting parts.

I have figured out that replacement diaphrams are available, but have forgot who the supplier is. Then there is seals and gaskets. Are these available anywhere?

Can you say anything from the numbers? The engine number is 034616 and the serial number on the generator is 23409. Does these numbers say anything on the build-year?

The gas tank is cracked, possibly after a drop so I have to weld that. It might have happened early, as both the piston and the spark plug is shiny and without any carbon build-up. The cross hatch pattern is also clearly visible in the cylinder, so my hope is that the rebuild will be easy.

So guys - meet the new chap from Denmark :-)

/Steen

On 8/2/2016 at 6:57 PM, Twinsport said:

I will tear it down and clean it up. I will keep the original condition, but will replace gaskets, seals, diaphrams spark plug etc., so the main concern is getting parts.

I have figured out that replacement diaphrams are available, but have forgot who the supplier is. Then there is seals and gaskets. Are these available anywhere?

Can you say anything from the numbers? The engine number is 034616 and the serial number on the generator is 23409. Does these numbers say anything on the build-year?

The gas tank is cracked, possibly after a drop so I have to weld that. It might have happened early, as both the piston and the spark plug is shiny and without any carbon build-up. The cross hatch pattern is also clearly visible in the cylinder, so my hope is that the rebuild will be easy.

So guys - meet the new chap from Denmark :-)

/Steen

Welcome to the forum,

Webhead makes new Carb diaphragms and has been some spares, see this thread.

Wallfish also has spares for these engines.

I would say your Tiny Tiger dates from approx 1963/64 and probably hasn't been used, or not used much (clean starter rope, piston & plug), the seals may be OK if there are no signs of use.

I have a Tiny Tiger with engine serial number 035753 (generator 26376), the paperwork that came with it is dated Jan 1964. The serial numbers on the generators don't seem to make much sense though, as I have two later engines with lower serial numbers on the generators.

Tiger Manufacturing Company Inc Tiny Tiger Generator General Information Jan 1964.pdf

My Tiny Tiger was a pile of bits when I bought it, the crankshaft & piston was missing and the crankcase had suffered damage from a catastrophic failure, lots of bearing dents inside and several cracks.

Luckily I found a similar bare early engine (sn 12461) which donated a crankcase, crankshafts and early type piston to complete the rebuild. These are the only pictures I have from before rebuilding it.

y4.JPG

y7.JPG

And here it is after rebuild.

SAM_7455a.jpg

David

Wow David - that's a beauty!

I actually took of the cylinder yesterday only to discover that the engine is totally clean inside. No traces of carbon anywhere. Not even the slightest in the exhaust ports, so I am sure that the condition is decent. Maybe a full cleanup and a new diaphram is enough to get it running. Who knows? But boy - are those piston rings thin or what?

I noticed that your crankcase is only fastened by three screws. So is mine, but is that normal?

/Steen

Did you notice what the reed valve was made of when took the cylinder off? if it's plastic instead of metal, then it was made after December 1963. There were three different sizes of piston rings used in these engines, later ones are the thickest and very early ones are in between the thin & thick sizes.

If the air filter still has the original foam present, it should be replaced as it disintegrates with age and can cause damage if it gets sucked into the engine.

SAM_5781a.jpg

The majority of engines with the base tank only have three screws for used for attaching the crankcase. Early engines did have a stud & nut fitted below the carb, as shown in the picture (Its missing a screw though, some will arrive next week from Webhead).

SAM_10716a.jpg

David

I'm with Factory on this one. It seems like it has had very little use because of the very clean rope. Those pull ropes get dirty VERY quick so a clean one usually equals NOS or close to it. BUT--- it's always possible it was changed too.

I would go with new fuel lines, carb diaphragm and a good carb clean before pulling that one completely apart. Plus the very thin paper case seals are few and far between. OH, and clean the points too.

Thanks for the informations. It might be 1963, as the reed block is aluminium, not plastic.

Anyhow - I took it appart for a bit of cleaning, and while it is not NOS, it have not seen much use. There is no carbon anywhere:

tiny%20tiger%209.jpg

tiny%20tiger%2010.jpg

tiny%20tiger%2011.jpg

I ended up taking it totally apart and gave it a good rinse. This is the state now:

tiny%20tiger%2012.jpg

tiny%20tiger%2013.jpg

The air filter was falling apart, so the foam is now removed and one of the insulating washes on the 12V outlet was cracked, so while waiting for one of my friends to find hos box of these washers, this is as far as I got.

/Steen

18 hours ago, Twinsport said:

Thanks for the informations. It might be 1963, as the reed block is aluminium, not plastic.

Anyhow - I took it appart for a bit of cleaning, and while it is not NOS, it have not seen much use. There is no carbon anywhere:

The reed block is always aluminium, I meant the reed itself, the older ones are steel and the newer ones clear plastic.

SAM_10787a.jpg

Its looking much better now its cleaned up.

The instructions that came with my Tiger Tor (230V version) says that they were tested twice, the first to make sure the engine ran properly and a second complete test with the generator. However they didn't set the carb needle valve, this was left for the first user to adjust.

David

Ahh! Got it! My reed petals are steel (possibly stainless), so likely still not a late unit.

Got round to finishing the assembly of the generator itself last night, So now only the tank needs welding. I'm curiuos to find out if I can weld this alloy? Did anybody here try welding anything on these engines?

/Steen

2 hours ago, Twinsport said:

Ahh! Got it! My reed petals are steel (possibly stainless), so likely still not a late unit.

Got round to finishing the assembly of the generator itself last night, So now only the tank needs welding. I'm curiuos to find out if I can weld this alloy? Did anybody here try welding anything on these engines?

/Steen

Hi Steen,

"Google"  "Techno-Weld", it's a low temperature zinc alloy rod which comes as a kit with instructions.

Heat source can be a small gas torch, due to low temperatures required. 

regards Doug.

Hello again,

Got the tank welded the other day. I have tried welding some pretty horrible alloys during the years, but this one takes the price!

The cracks in the tank was worse than expected, so it ended up in four pieces. The entire mounting lug broke of in three pieces, so it wasn't to easy to piece it together. While it may not be pretty, it's now in one piece again. I coated the inside of the welding using epoxy, so now I'm just waiting a week or so to let it cure.

It's now looking like this:

tiny%20tiger%2014.jpg

tiny%20tiger%2015.jpg

tiny%20tiger%2016.jpg

tiny%20tiger%2017.jpg

I think it looks quite decent now, but if any of you guys have a spare tank lying around, just let me know. I would like to get rid of that welding if I can.

/Steen

You have done a very good job at saving the base tank. They are very hard to find, it's even harder to find an ebay seller willing to send one outside the US.

The only one I managed to buy came with the engine in post #6, although the seller didn't think it fitted the O&R so listed both items separately.

David

That thing is beautiful now, Very nice job! Since you did such a nice job and clearly want a nice machine, I'd be willing to trade tanks so you have a good one if you pay for shipping both tanks. Not sure if that is worth it or not depending on shipping cost but you can research that and let me know. Shipping would be to and from Leicester MA 01524 USA.

If ANY of you guys ever find something over here that a seller will not ship, Just let me know and I will ship it for them. They can ship it to me and I'll send it to you for whatever the actual postage is. Doesn't need to be just O&R stuff either.

Some of you guys have helped me with this so I'm more than willing to return the favor!

6 hours ago, Wallfish said:

... I'd be willing to trade tanks so you have a good one if you pay for shipping both tanks. Not sure if that is worth it or not depending on shipping cost but you can research that and let me know...

That is very generous of you! I would like to take you up on that, but before we go ahead, I need to check my own tank first. We know the visual state of it, but I have to make sure that it holds fuel and I also have to take more photo's of the tank up close, so you know exactly what you get. It will take me another week or so, but I will get back to you asap :-)

/Steen

Edited by Twinsport
Spelling mistake

It's alive!

I couldn't wait any longer. Gave it a dose of Alkylate fuel with 5% Castrol TTS (for the good smell).

It fired right up after priming, but needed a few seconds to clear itself and stop running rich. I also tested the output which works perfectly, although not as powerful as indicated on the generator. It might deliver 300W at 110V, but at 12V it doesn't get near the indicated 12A. At 10A the output goes below 12V and if you load it even more the output just breaks down.

Never mind that. I am smiling now, but my ears are hurting. Are these things loud or what!

/Steen

Definitely louder than any other engine I've heard at any of the local vintage engine shows.

I've always wondered how much difference this exhaust makes to the noise.

y3e.jpg

You've also reminded to get this vintage sound level meter fixed, I bought it more than a year ago and still haven't got round to it!

d2e.jpg

David