Stormin

Teagle hedge trimmer.

Last week I called in at Expeatfarmers. While there I had a look at a hedge trimmer he had. Bit of a monster with a small two stroke engine. Decided it was a little big for me and what use would it be? Don't say trimming hedges. :P

This morning, up his way again, called in, a deal was struck and the hedge trimmer found it's way into the back of the Disco. Just!

Back home and had a go to get it running. Without success. Good spark but no petrol getting through. Petrol tap filter bunged up with what I assume to be, emulsified fuel. Several dunkings in boiling water and it looks nice and clean.

The fuel tank had had a bang on top of the cap, pushing the tank top in a bit. This was blown out carefully with compressed air. The tank also had slight weep at an end seam. This I've re-soldered. Hopefully successfully.

Tomorrow if time permits, I'll reassemble and try it. And find out how you stop it. Can't see a cut out.

After a bit of research, I've found it is a Teagle Jet Cut Hedge Trimmer. Produced by W.T.Teagle of Truro. I've dated it as mid '50's. The first ones were produced in 1953. The cutter bar being chain driven through he tubular frame. Later ones were shaft drive. The engine is a Teagle designed one of 50cc. Only numbers I can find are engine number. G21110 and PE4 on the crankcase side cover.

I will contact Teagles sometime in the future and hopefully they will be able to give an accurate date of manufacture.

I apologize for no photo's. I will post some as soon as I get my computer back.

John had 2 or 3.  The last one to go was shaft driven.  Never did get a good look at the other/s as they were almost buried in a lean to.  Went one day when I wasn't there.  John also had a Teagle finger mower which was sold before the big clear out started.

You are right Norm about Teagle being Cornish. I know a Tommy Teagle at Lanhydrock in Bodmin. Good machines but a tad heavy for continuous use.

Look forward to seeing some photos of the beast.

Morning Norman, to stop the engine you close the choke flap completely shutting off all air. When you start it make sure you have it well gripped in a vice or workmate as it will want to jump about and might snip some bits off you !!!!

Got everything back together today. Eventually burst into life, after a bit of juggling with throttle and choke settings. The engine runs well and fairly quiet for a two stroke. It doesn't rev hard, which is just as well. You'd never hold it.

It did keep throwing the drive belt off. This was down to the pulleys being out of line. I found the brackets attaching frame to motor/drive unit slightly bent. Holding the engine down with one hand and levering gently on a length of wood, inserted between the frame tubes, things lined up and the belt stayed put.

One thing I didn't bargain for, was the throttle cable parting company with the carb' slide. I must ave pressed the throttle lever a little to hard and the nipple on the slide end came off. Now the nipple is just a small, read minute, lump of solder. Had a happy time re-doing that. Got there in the end and I will be more gentle with the throttle lever in future. 

Had a test trial on an over grown hedge down the lane. This showed up three things. One is the blades could do with a sharpen. The second is it's a heavy beast. I wouldn't want to have to use it for a long time. The third is make sure it has enough petrol in the tank.

I'll get the blades sharpened, give it a clean up and leave as is I think. It will get occasional use no doubt. But I think it will mainly be an exhibit at shows etc. 

Nice little motors Norm.  I should have grabbed those at John's before someone nicked them.  Not sure what they were attached too.  Could only see the motors peering out from the bushes.

We've been after one of these for a while (Martin's love of two-stroke anything...). Saw a couple at the vintage auction which went for £40 each, which seems like a lot compared to what they go for on fleabay. Saw one in a  junk shop last week too, which wasn't for sale as it was stored in a shed that was about to fall down after a fire!

Teagle still make farm machinery.