expeatfarmer

Period Tow car

Talking gas flow; while the manifolds are off its worth checking that the passages exactly match the gaskets and head ports  - same with the inlets. Back in the day the alignments on some engines was so bad that grinding a bit off here and there was the cheapest extra couple of horses to be found.

Turns out that "replacement manifold is much worse than I thought, I started to drill along the crack line and more and more of it just fell away in some places it must have been less tha half mil. thick change of plan now fortunately the original manifold is cracked in other places but the back is sound so I have cut the back out and will do likewise to the " new " one and braze it together.

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

Tried brazing and to start with it went well but then loads of contamination came out of the cast and I had to give up. As the manifold would be scrap i thought I would try mig welding it instead, to my surprise it worked well and manifold is now repaired and sealed ready for fitting. Normally cast iron cracks when you weld it but I think a combination of very thin cast, short bursts of welding and lots of patience finally paid off. I will hold back until I actually refit it in the morning and see what happens when it is hot but fingers crossed.

IMG_1792.jpg

Good job Jonathan. Your right about cast cracking when welded. From what little I know, pre-heating can prevent it.

I may have a run up tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to hearing the V8 burble. I'll phone first.

2 hours ago, Anglo Traction said:

Very nice work on the Manifold sir!. I heard that preheating an Iron casting helps, and the use of Wire with a high Nickel content work very well. Seems you don't need it!  :thumbs:.

Both of the above plus controlled cooling - in its simplest form, burying it in dry sand. Also, as has been alluded to, short quick spaced tacks extended and joined in turn contains local heating, expansion and contraction.