S1g

What happens when boy racers are given their dads car keys....

Well the police have finally taken a statement. It turns out the looney behind the wheel was only 17. The police say they haven't got enough evidence to do him for dangerous driving but they have got enough for careless driving which will still result in a ban as he had obviously been driving for less than two years and this means disqualification at 6 points instead of 12.  I have no sympathy for him at all.

4 hours ago, S1g said:

Well the police have finally taken a statement. It turns out the looney behind the wheel was only 17. The police say they haven't got enough evidence to do him for dangerous driving but they have got enough for careless driving which will still result in a ban as he had obviously been driving for less than two years and this means disqualification at 6 points instead of 12.  I have no sympathy for him at all.

You should be able to recover civil damages as well as property damages in court. 

Well, after a bit of discussion with the insurance company i think I've come out of this ok. We've agreed at just shy of £1800 plus I get to keep the remains. A big up to the assessor who spoke up for me in relation to the vans pre accident condition.  Just got to find one in as good a condition as this one was, but on the plus side I've literally got a van load of spares for it.

57 minutes ago, nigel said:

Glad it's turned out ok for you gareth

Thanks, I'd rather of not had the hassle but if you work it out the vans only lost about £300 a year scince I bought it so not so bad. The only downside is late replacement seem to of increased slightly in price, I'm guessing because Vauxhall no longer make them new.

For anyone who's interested ,today I managed to purchase an almost identical van on a 61 plate. The one big plus is this one has aircon, which my smashed one was sadly missing. Just got to collect it next weekend and then fit the rear seats over Christmas. This newer one is even tidier so will hopefully be around for a long time to come. Just got to watch out for low flying Passats! Lol

41 minutes ago, HeadExam said:

Maybe the surface-to-air missile launcher option?

Sounds a good idea! Maybe a few Bond type gadgets will keep them away in the future. Lol

6 hours ago, S1g said:

Sounds a good idea! Maybe a few Bond type gadgets will keep them away in the future. Lol

I think it would be nice to mount some small fake missile launchers or a GE gun-pack on the roof.

Well, not happy to say the least. Just come take out new insurance and have been told that because I've been involved in an accident- even though the other party admitted full liability, that my premium has basically doubled!!! I've tried all the online site and the local brokers and they are all coming back the same!!! Apparently because I was driving home and hit buy a young twat I'm more of a risk to cover!!! Life's a real bitch at times!

1 hour ago, S1g said:

Well, not happy to say the least. Just come take out new insurance and have been told that because I've been involved in an accident- even though the other party admitted full liability, that my premium has basically doubled!!! I've tried all the online site and the local brokers and they are all coming back the same!!! Apparently because I was driving home and hit buy a young twat I'm more of a risk to cover!!! Life's a real bitch at times!

If you haven't already signed away your rights, sue in court, even if you have, I do not believe you can sign your rights away on this type of loss. I knew this was going to happen. Insurance companies actually work together to mitigate the liability between both parties, so neither insurance company ever loses, its criminal. 

That's not on, Gareth. Our Mazda got hit twice by other drivers. Both times their insurance paid out for repairs. Though the Mazda wasn't written off, most likely because it was then not two years old, the damage was substantial. We didn't even lose no claims bonus.

That was about 5-6 years ago. So maybe the insurance companies have changed the way they do things. Bar stewards.

1 hour ago, hpearce said:

Have you tried Admiral? In my experience they are more realistic than other insurers.

I've tried basically everyone. Some are even declining to cover me. At the end of the day it's a 1.7 diesel, the same as I've been driving for the last 5 years without incident. I'm 36, I've Got 5 years no claims on this, 3 other policies with 5- 10 years no claims, plus I'm insured on 4 other vechicles. I live in a low rated crime zone.The last time I had an accident was in 1999. I don't know what the hell is going on. I've also got the settlement letter from their insurance accepting full liability and the report from the police stating they are pursing the 3 red party for  a careless driving conviction!

The other thing is even though I've had rear seats in the written off one for five years, and bar one insurer I've never till now even had an eyebrow raised, suddenly it's become a big no-no to insure them! If anyone else is hit by a 3rd party make sure their insurance gives you at least a couple of grand to cover the insurance hikes!

4 hours ago, Stormin said:

That's not on, Gareth. Our Mazda got hit twice by other drivers. Both times their insurance paid out for repairs. Though the Mazda wasn't written off, most likely because it was then not two years old, the damage was substantial. We didn't even lose no claims bonus.

That was about 5-6 years ago. So maybe the insurance companies have changed the way they do things. Bar stewards.

I can think of a few more choice words!

7 hours ago, S1g said:

I've tried basically everyone. Some are even declining to cover me. At the end of the day it's a 1.7 diesel, the same as I've been driving for the last 5 years without incident. I'm 36, I've Got 5 years no claims on this, 3 other policies with 5- 10 years no claims, plus I'm insured on 4 other vechicles. I live in a low rated crime zone.The last time I had an accident was in 1999. I don't know what the hell is going on. I've also got the settlement letter from their insurance accepting full liability and the report from the police stating they are pursing the 3 red party for  a careless driving conviction!

The other thing is even though I've had rear seats in the written off one for five years, and bar one insurer I've never till now even had an eyebrow raised, suddenly it's become a big no-no to insure them! If anyone else is hit by a 3rd party make sure their insurance gives you at least a couple of grand to cover the insurance hikes!

Again, I would think of retaining an attorney to make you whole again, you are still being denied being whole again, that is the insurance companies job. if they fail that they can see the inside of a court room and that is the only thing they understand. They are really hoping that you will not retain a solicitor or take the time to bother with it. I would sue for the cost of higher insurance and the denial of service.

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:13 AM, S1g said:

Once you have some insurance in place it would be worth giving the Financial Ombudsman a call. They are assisting me with an insurance problem atm and I found them to be really approachable and helpful. You should not be more of a risk to insure and if they agree they will be able to resolve the situation quicker and more effectively than you can and it does not cost anything for them to support you. Just a thought.

Iain

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:56 PM, slf-uk said:

Once you have some insurance in place it would be worth giving the Financial Ombudsman a call. They are assisting me with an insurance problem atm and I found them to be really approachable and helpful. You should not be more of a risk to insure and if they agree they will be able to resolve the situation quicker and more effectively than you can and it does not cost anything for them to support you. Just a thought.

Iain

Just to add to this, I can't say enough good things about the Financial Ombudsman. They contacted to me today to say that they have spoken to my insurance company and I should expect a call from them. The call came in 30 minutes later and they offered me everything I was asking for and a 25% refund on my policy as a goodwill measure. Everything that was on offer was conditional on me telling the Ombudsman to close the case. They really do have amassing power over insurance companies.

If you are considering going this route and would like some tips on the quickest way to progress it, PM me with some contact details.

Iain

2 hours ago, slf-uk said:

Just to add to this, I can't say enough good things about the Financial Ombudsman. They contacted to me today to say that they have spoken to my insurance company and I should expect a call from them. The call came in 30 minutes later and they offered me everything I was asking for and a 25% refund on my policy as a goodwill measure. Everything that was on offer was conditional on me telling the Ombudsman to close the case. They really do have amassing power over insurance companies.

If you are considering going this route and would like some tips on the quickest way to progress it, PM me with some contact details.

Iain

Iain, so very happy things worked out for you in a positive way! I wish we had that type of mediator here in the States.

17 hours ago, slf-uk said:

Iain

Thankyou for your kind offer of help, after reading your post the other day I have already put things in hand with them. Will have to see how it goes as all insurance company's are loading the premium.