Webhead

O&R Literature

According to a post on this site;

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/32713-a-pony-express-bicycle-engine

Advanced Engine Products went out of business shorty after changing the name of the bicycle engine from Chicken Power to Pony Express. Note the change of address in Webhead's Pony Express brochure from Los Angeles, California to Eden Prairie, Minnesota.

There was a TV ad for the Chicken Power bicycle engine, it can be found on youtube here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNtHBEdZDYs

Here is an ad for the Pony Express bicycle engine from Popular Mechanics magazine May 1978 that was scanned by google.

Popular Mechanics May 1978 Pony Express.jpg

David

Thanks for sharing.

Never knew those different trimmers existed. My manual doesn't have any of those in it.

Seems as though the Yard-Arm might be the "Holy Grail" of O&R collecting. So far only seen in printed manuals and brochures as far as I know.

On 11/30/2016 at 1:37 PM, Wallfish said:

Thanks for sharing.

Never knew those different trimmers existed. My manual doesn't have any of those in it.

Seems as though the Yard-Arm might be the "Holy Grail" of O&R collecting. So far only seen in printed manuals and brochures as far as I know.

I guess the repair shop that originally had that manual, must have been one that actually paid the yearly upkeep charge.

Here are some pictures of the O&R tools in a garden equipment catalogue from 1967.

David

SAM_18395a.jpgSAM_18396a.jpgSAM_18397a.jpg

21 hours ago, pmackellow said:

A good friend lent me this literature for copying today...

The 13B252 engine/carb diagram & 13A starter instructions have already been uploaded as PDF's in the engine diagram & manuals thread I started here:

The 13B252 engine is the type fitted to the Webb Little Wonder hedge-trimmer I have, I suspect my short Little Wonder hedge-trimmer would be the same type, but someone pinched the cylinder plate with the serial/type details. The starter repair instructions appear to have been supplied with a starter cord repair kit for some tools over here.

I have some other engine diagram scans still to upload there.

David

I've been doing a bit of research and have found an early article on O&R engines including some of the first tools available, some of which probably didn't sell very well.

The full article in Popular Science magazine June 1961 edition is available on google books, it starts on pages 64 to 67 & the rest is on pages 208 & 209; https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ASYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA64onepage&q&f=false#v=onepage&q&f=false

Here are some of the tools I've never seen before, including a gold separator, a different bike engine kit, a light aircraft tractor, a different design of compressor, a small mower and the smoke jumper (not sure it would have been very effective with that tiny water tank). I'm going to need a bigger shed if I find any of them. :D

58d6fb0288b4c_PopularScienceJun1961OhlssonRiceEngines.thumb.jpg.8799d04623f0608f6e320b36dddd9e6c.jpg

There are a few more O&R articles in both Popular Science and Popular Mechanics magazines available on google books if you look through the 1960's & 1970's issues linked below.

Popular Science;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbo=p&tbm=bks&q=ohlsson+rice&tbs=,bkt:m,bkms:1168684103302644796

Popular Mechanics;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbo=p&tbm=bks&q=ohlsson+rice&tbs=,bkt:m,bkms:1168684103302643961

The May 1972 edition of Popular Mechanics has an article on a minibike with an O&R engine that was converted run on steam power, has anyone come across a steam powered O&R before? Looks quite dangerous. :jaw:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=StQDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA21#v=onepage&q&f=false

David

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 0:34 PM, pmackellow said:

Here's some more relevant literature...

PC190031.JPG

PC190032.JPG

PC190033.JPG

PC190034.JPG

A little story about the Little Wonder hedge trimmers. First, I believe that they have been around since the early 1900's. Second, from the guy that I bought

mine off of- he said that "his family owned a landscaping business in the 70's, when they purchased a new O&R powered hedge trimmer, they quadrupled

the amount of work that they could do in a days work" Third, the Little Wonder hedge trimmers made today are of the highest quality in the market.

3 hours ago, pmackellow said:

Some more O&R and Turbair literature turned up today... :D

So that explains what the Turbair 21 is, if the seller had bothered to take a picture of the inside I would have probably bid too! Thanks for sharing it, I have quite a bit of Turbair stuff to scan & add to the forum when I have time.

5942dc872e6ec_Turbair21.jpg.1ce1bbb73ccd0da78ab318fbf5595e2c.jpg5942dc87d460e_Turbair21b.jpg.cd248e22de788e58ee0088abde5028b2.jpg

It appears to have an earlier O&R engine so that may date it to before the other Turbair crop sprayers, it also looks a bit like the mystery Italian crop sprayer in the unknown thread but it's not exactly the same. I'm slightly puzzled as to why the pictures I posted of it have shrunk though, they weren't very big to start with. :scratchhead:

David

Have you got access to a scanner, or could I borrow the Turbair 21 Leaflet for scanning?

I've been scanning stuff at 600dpi (saved as png files from the scanner), editing with IrfanView, adding them to a MS Word document and printing using Foxit Reader to create a pdf, it takes a while but produces a good quality pdf file for adding to the forum.

Got this brochure scanned today, it's the earliest information I have for the O&R engines, I believe it dates from around 1960/1961 but the brochure is undated. Warning it may contain the odd marketing fib.

SAM_18476e.jpg.de23150a2581a3c76b3bee0cfd9f3479.jpg

Here is a pdf of the Ohlsson & Rice Ultra Compact Engine brochure;

Ohlsson & Rice Ultra Compact Engine.pdf

David

On 11/27/2016 at 6:29 PM, Webhead said:

DSCN1718.JPG

I’m just now seeing this thread and a David’s comment about the Pony Express address as Eden Prairie, MN.  That’s where I use to live and I actually worked off  of Mitchell Road, small world...

I can't imagine the Eden Prairie address was more than an office and/or warehouse, as the factory was still in LA till the end when AEP finally closed in 1978.

David