Sign in to follow this  
Cub Cadet

Home Built Wheel Horse 654/ 704

Its been a long time since I restored my last Wheel Horse so I thought it was time for another challenge. I have long wanted a Wheel Horse round hood tractor but as they are rare in the UK I thought I would build my own. Whilst browsing that well know auction site the other day I saw that someone was selling a Lawn Ranger hood and so I placed a bid and won it :D, since that and the fenders are about the only parts we can't make or easily source I was very happy. So here is the build thread, as I am at university this project is going to be a summer project and I am hoping some of you fellow members will be able to help me out with measurements and maybe some parts. :):thanks:

Here is a picture of what i'm hoping to build, i'm not sure whether it will be a 704 or a 654 yet, probably the one with the easiest engine to source.

Wheel-Horse-704-IMGWheel043.jpg

First of all, does anyone know what thickness/ gauge of metal was used for the hood stand/ sheet metal work?

Thanks Ewan

i was in the same situation as you Ewan , I wanted to have a round hood but they were rarer than hens teeth here in UK  so I desided to build my own using the frame from my old commando 8  shown below  , I had a hood stand ,fuel tank and other parts shipped over from US  but most of the parts you have will already work for what you are trying to do .

sadly I never got round to finishing the round hood and is now in bits in my work shop , Mabe one day I will get round to finishing it.

good luck with your project image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

16 minutes ago, neil said:

i was in the same situation as you Ewan , I wanted to have a round hood but they were rarer than hens teeth here in UK  so I desided to build my own using the frame from my old commando 8  shown below  , I had a hood stand ,fuel tank and other parts shipped over from US  but most of the parts you have will already work for what you are trying to do .

sadly I never got round to finishing the round hood and is now in bits in my work shop , Mabe one day I will get round to finishing it.

good luck with your project image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Thanks Neil!, That looks awesome! I like the use of the raider fender support thingy as a front bumper. Its been a while since I restored the C-121 that I bought from you and have been itching to get another Wheel Horse, I'm currently trying to source some fenders and then the next task will be to make a rolling chassis, need to narrow some wheels first -_-

Make your own rear fenders Ewan, i made some for a Trojan I restored ( thread on here somewhere) I'll dig the photos out for you and load them when my internet has been repaired, its easy and cheap.

you need a spare wheel well from a scrap car ( boot floor ) i used a vauxhall vectra , i can make you a cardboard template from the rowcrop that has the rear fender kit on, just mark them out and cut them to size

1 hour ago, neil said:

Keep an eye open on US EBay  fenders often pop up on there and most people are willing to ship parts , sadly the shipping costs can work out a bit juicy 

I will do just that, i've had a quick look and found some but sadly the guy wasn't keen on shipping but there is time yet :)

32 minutes ago, the showman said:

Make your own rear fenders Ewan, i made some for a Trojan I restored ( thread on here somewhere) I'll dig the photos out for you and load them when my internet has been repaired, its easy and cheap.

you need a spare wheel well from a scrap car ( boot floor ) i used a vauxhall vectra , i can make you a cardboard template from the rowcrop that has the rear fender kit on, just mark them out and cut them to size

That sounds like a very good idea! I'd like to see if I can source some genuine ones for the authenticity first but that is an excellent back up plan! Thanks :)

If you ask Harry nicely he maybe able to help.

He got a rolling chassis of a small round hood which he mumbled about sell the other day when I saw him

Dont think it got fenders but sure it had a hood:)

3 hours ago, Chris said:

If you ask Harry nicely he maybe able to help.

He got a rolling chassis of a small round hood which he mumbled about sell the other day when I saw him

Dont think it got fenders but sure it had a hood:)

Ooh i'll have to message him, but its so darn far away :blink: