Aquabug

Aquabug surprise!

Well, my new outboard for my canoe and kayak had a few surprises. It had an O&E motor not a Tanaka and I thought for $34 why not? It runs with a little tinkering, but fuel flies everywhere! LOL I found you all tonight so I thought I'd join the group and keep this ole girl running. Any advice welcome. It sure was exciting to hear it finally spring back to life, blue smoke everywhere...reminded me of my childhood. My dad's a tinker, I'm the son of a tinker. Soon to be tinker. 

d

aquabug.JPG

Aquabug O&R.jpg

Edited by Aquabug
add url

:WMOM:

Glad you found us.

You're further along than most because they usually need a new carb diaphragm to get them running.

Where is the fuel coming from that's flies everywhere? Smoke yes, fuel no.

You may be able to cut down on some of the smoke if you are mixing it 24:1 like the label states to do. That was for mixing 30W oil back in the old days but modern 2 stroke oil is a much better lubricant nowadays. Use a good quality AIR cooled engine 2 stroke oil and mix 32:1.

Welcome to the forum, your Aquabug looks in nice condition, I have a pair of them rebranded by Perry in the UK, both the plastic covers are in poor condition.

There are quite a few joins in the fuel line, the clear tubing can become brittle and crack, also one of mine has a hole in the plastic fuel tank.

David

58d448727759b_PerryAquabugSAM_5766.thumb.jpg.dc57afab46c415af76c456575145b6b1.jpg

David, I may have a spare cover.

You have to be careful with the tank cap. If the the fuel and air inside are warm, then the vent is closed and the temp gets cold enough, it will collapse the the tank enough to split it. Guess how I know about that?

Good advice on the plastic fuel tanks.

This is the the other one I have, is the cover beyond repair?

58d57d6ab8395_PerryAquabugcover.jpg.814b876c24cf45fde9cedfd751ac881c.jpg

Here is a picture of the Perry Aquabug label on the better one of the two, I seem to have lost the "supplied by Perry's yacht centre" sticker (maybe it fell off before I got it).

They were imported by R Perry & Company Limited of Monks Ferry Works, 90 Church Street in Birkenhead, I've looked it up on Streetview but it looks like they are long gone.

58d57dd7c8291_PerryAquabugSAM_5765.thumb.jpg.241f91570a727e3a4ecbcd4bb5555430.jpg

58d581715431e_PerrysYachtCentre.jpg.5f91caed0b98f4ddd4d8a065c635e253.jpg

David

On 3/23/2017 at 5:20 PM, Wallfish said:

David, I may have a spare cover.

You have to be careful with the tank cap. If the the fuel and air inside are warm, then the vent is closed and the temp gets cold enough, it will collapse the the tank enough to split it. Guess how I know about that?

I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.

On 3/23/2017 at 11:21 AM, Wallfish said:

:WMOM:

Glad you found us.

You're further along than most because they usually need a new carb diaphragm to get them running.

Where is the fuel coming from that's flies everywhere? Smoke yes, fuel no.

You may be able to cut down on some of the smoke if you are mixing it 24:1 like the label states to do. That was for mixing 30W oil back in the old days but modern 2 stroke oil is a much better lubricant nowadays. Use a good quality AIR cooled engine 2 stroke oil and mix 32:1.

Actually, the diaphragm is bad. The fuel is coming out the vent hole on the dry side of the diaphragm. I've got parts coming from webhead. Yahoo! I'll miss the excitement of running a spark prone engine with raw fuel everywhere. Really keeps the senses up. LOL

Talking of surprises, I found this special triple engined Aquabug when doing some research this week, it's rated at 4HP, has anyone got one?

David

58df741410b81_TriplePowered.thumb.jpg.873a5f6a6452095ec4740729d54ab85c.jpg

You got me, it was indeed an April Fools.

I do wonder if engines could be linked together though.

The picture is actually a diagram showing the Aquabug being raised or lowered for shallow water operation, from my Perry Aquabug owner's manual. The book does lie about the power of the O&R, it claims it's 1.2HP, not sure I believe that the carb was electronically setup at the factory either.

The full manual will be added when I've scanned it all and created a pdf.

David

58e29f8c9dd0a_PerryAquabugOwnersManual.thumb.jpg.7faba9cb5f2c5ab56167873205c3105c.jpg

factory, thanks

On 4/3/2017 at 0:39 PM, factory said:

You got me, it was indeed an April Fools.

I do wonder if engines could be linked together though.

The picture is actually a diagram showing the Aquabug being raised or lowered for shallow water operation, from my Perry Aquabug owner's manual. The book does lie about the power of the O&R, it claims it's 1.2HP, not sure I believe that the carb was electronically setup at the factory either.

The full manual will be added when I've scanned it all and created a pdf.

David

58e29f8c9dd0a_PerryAquabugOwnersManual.thumb.jpg.7faba9cb5f2c5ab56167873205c3105c.jpg

Thanks Factory, that would be awesome to have a owner's manual available. 

I saw the triple stack picture and thought it was perfect for fools day.

No fools now, here is my scan (second attempt) of the Perry Aquabug Owner's manual, the quality isn't great as the original was only a small book (pages 4" by 5.1") but it's better than nothing.

Perry Aquabug Owner's Manual.pdf

David

Nice looking motors. The decals are pretty good shape and could be copied to make vinyl replacement decals. The manual is a nice plus also. I have my motor for sale but no price on it as I have not figured what it may be worth yet. I looked at the lower unit and it appears the oilite bronze shaft bushing may be frozen on the shaft. If it can be released and lubed it may be okay. It is a simple part for a good machinist to make a new one. It turns over fine otherwise. An exploded view would answer the question if it is a frozen bronze bearing It could be released  if so.

Thanks

Bob

I take it you have already separated the engine from the propeller & shaft section to confirm the lower section is seized? I actually store mine separated to prevent further damage to the fragile plastic engine covers.

Sadly the manual doesn't have a exploded view of the propeller section or a parts list.

2068152064_PerryAquabugOwnersManualPage11ab.jpg.1edf583dc5be9caeb16e3adf8e40a0b0.jpg

One of mine has the opposite problem to yours, the engine doesn't turn the propeller (which is free to turn on it's own) , I hope it's just the shear pin that needs replacing, the pair I bought also came with some bits that may have come out of a third Aquabug.

Maybe I should have a look inside the gear-case when I investigate the problem & add some pictures.

David

I had to take it apart to find out why the motor would not turn over. I found the motor is fine with good compression. The shaft was froze in the propeller gearbox. It all came apart very easily. It had plenty of grease in there. I looked at the Oilite bronze bushing and where it meet the angle gear it appears to be a seam. The gear is what appears to be metal also. All I did was clean it up some and greased it. It is all free in the housing. But the bronze has evidently slipped in the housing. The bronze can be removed and a new bearing machined slightly oversize with some reaming the housing and make the bronze bushing a tap in bearing fit. It will be fine then. A new gasket also will need to be made. I used this motor for a few years to run ashore in harbors I sailed to. It always ran well. I also use my Tiny Power generator on my boat at times.

I found some pictures of an incomplete one, showing the inside of the gearbox.

p9a.jpg.a5d3feab3f39447b15347e9705097cba.jpgp11a.jpg.0ba710564a984583e34436b46ae44d4c.jpgp10a.jpg.7a1ea9b2346d4858e853fe75e974f862.jpg

I think it confirms where this bevel gear & broken gasket in my spare parts came from.

SAM_4738a.jpg.1bda6c74c1530b11b685e9e49f6098eb.jpg

David

That is the bushing inside the housing . I can see the bronze tint and shoulder.. I am not sure if that bevel gear is pinned or pressed on though. So that bearing has to be freed on my shaft or cut off and the housing checked as it may have spun and enlarged the seat. The bearing would need to be made oversize for a bearing fit.. Not a hard job for a good machinist. Thanks

Bob

This isn't mine, but here is what a new (almost) one of these Aquabug outboards would have looked like.

a4a.jpg.33d69f3f437e9ee2a5aec70fb543c84e.jpg

a1a.jpg.bc6e28e2c712225a1186caa3c022c371.jpga2a.jpg.498fcdc6040120f9e3848f6a4041821b.jpg

a9a.jpg.2715fe55b1f168b45f83d55a54e5b8a1.jpga8a.jpg.49f148fc3697eda9c7944e2afbeedb52.jpg

a7a.jpg.d29bd302ad083cd5b4d49cd13a71ca70.jpg

Note it has a brass gauze instead of the normal air filter assembly.

David

Now that is a great example. It looks like it never was used. The decals would be nice to copy into a computer for restoration. They could be laser printed on vinyl stick on stock to replace worn out logo and instructions. All my motors are still in my possession waiting for an interested person to pick them up some day.When I go they will all most likely get junked.

There are at least three versions, each with their own decal/sticker, the Aquabug (& the UK version Perry) and the Mini Motor version, sadly none of my saved pictures are very clear for making a copy of the instructions decal.

r2a.jpg.99cae611224189fcbd03f5d6c5413ec4.jpgv6a.jpg.737efb30a5d6f15c1ddc5b1fa868a651.jpgr6a.jpg.fbdc6d5b7945188d05ab735b9c86a153.jpg

Here are pictures of the two best surviving decals on the pair of Perry Aquabug outboards from my collection, if anyone wants a better picture of these I can take some more.

SAM_5765b.jpg.fb5a068a018dd00445851c65f2d5220f.jpg

SAM_5761a.jpg.54fb49a4ddb8024d81710b3229020087.jpg

7 hours ago, neons said:

All my motors are still in my possession waiting for an interested person to pick them up some day.When I go they will all most likely get junked.

I hope it works out with CNew & your O&R collection doesn't get junked.

David