Aquabug

Aquabug surprise!

Was it the one from Massachusetts that had the red starter cover, white handle and blue shaft? If so, I was trying to win that one as well but the seller wouldn’t get back to me on my question about shipping with the Buy it Now option. I attempted the Buy it Now a few times and it wasn’t working correctly. Looks like you were able to get it to work.  I was quite frustrated and bummed but at least now I know it’s going to a good home, congrats!:)

To anyone interested in my huge lot of parts. The material is still available to anyone that would care to buy it. Make an offer and you can haul it all away. You can pack it up and ship it to where you want to.Otherwise it can lay there till I am gone and off to the dumpster.

6 hours ago, CNew said:

Was it the one from Massachusetts that had the red starter cover, white handle and blue shaft?

No it wasn't that one, it was the first one I've seen in the UK for about five years.

It has a blue starter housing with black handle, shaft, gearbox & propeller (also most of the engine is painted as per the Aquabug manual).

David

Interesting, I haven’t seen one with a blue starter housing before. I think I’ve seen ones with yellow or white.  Can’t wait to see photos once it arrives!

59 minutes ago, CNew said:

Interesting, I haven’t seen one with a blue starter housing before.

There is a blue starter amongst neons parts, I imagine it was originally on the Aquabug he also has. I've also seen one other Aquabug outboard with a blue starter.

David

9 hours ago, neons said:

To anyone interested in my huge lot of parts. The material is still available to anyone that would care to buy it. Make an offer and you can haul it all away. You can pack it up and ship it to where you want to.Otherwise it can lay there till I am gone and off to the dumpster.

Sending a PM

On 5/31/2019 at 9:05 PM, CNew said:

Interesting, I haven’t seen one with a blue starter housing before. I think I’ve seen ones with yellow or white.  Can’t wait to see photos once it arrives!

On holiday at the moment hopefully it will have arrived by the time we get home

IMO they actually look better without the plastic cover.

I attached a drillgine gas tank to one of mine and it gets a lot of attention at the shows. A vertical style normal O&R round tank with a bracket would look good too

On 6/10/2019 at 6:36 PM, pmackellow said:

Its arrived... :D

It looks nice in blue, did you find a carb for it?

I have a cylinder plate stamped with the correct engine type for this, if you need it.

Looks like you need to replace the starter missing rivet too.

Earlier outboards (pictured below, not mine) had the standard round tank with a different bracket to rotate the tank 90 degrees, so that the filler cap was at the top.

I've also noticed the plastic cover for the carb filter gauze matches the colour of the starter housing. According to the 13A246 parts list these were not fitted with a kill switch either.

a2a.jpg.ef76d75b63afa2b49ffe07d11deb0ed4.jpg

David

David, I think I can raid a carb from the spares engine (if not have you got a spare please?)

50 minutes ago, factory said:

It looks nice in blue, did you find a carb for it?

I have a cylinder plate stamped with the correct engine type for this, if you need it.

Looks like you need to replace the starter missing rivet too.

Earlier outboards (pictured below, not mine) had the standard round tank with a different bracket to rotate the tank 90 degrees, so that the filler cap was at the top.

I've also noticed the plastic cover for the carb filter gauze matches the colour of the starter housing. According to the 13A246 parts list these were not fitted with a kill switch either.

a2a.jpg.ef76d75b63afa2b49ffe07d11deb0ed4.jpg

David

I will need to source a tank also

Yes please to the spec plate

For reference here are some pictures of the cover that retains the gauze for the carb opening on one of my Aquabug's, looks like a new piece of gauze can be fitted.

SAM_3936a.jpg.d7296b023b11d190e878d712b1af613b.jpg

SAM_3934a.jpg.4f6134ca03d304b815c7f593b3756bbd.jpg

SAM_3935a.jpg.caa6cbaadc2768d6d6dd3a7b28a421bc.jpg

Paul, I've sent a PM about the spares from the donor engine.

David

Man, that’s cool!  Looks great hanging there.  I like how you’ve managed to get paperwork and advertisements for each tool as part of the overall display, really nice touch!

I've recently been working on replacing the missing & damaged plastic spacers originally used for the Aquabug covers. I did initially test some plastic spacers I had in my spares, but they were a bit too large in diameter to fit properly and also didn't react too well with fuel.

Anyway I quickly gave up with those and started looking for something better, eventually I found some brass tubing from Albion Alloys at a model engineering supplier.

https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/info-BT5.html

Here are the finished spacers after cutting to size, together with the fixings (I've since had to order some longer screws), the second picture shows where they are used.

SAM_4151a.jpg.028c341dad20e5ce97032f4eb5fc7029.jpg SAM_4149a.jpg.38783e5763d9cb01d06e620b1aea037b.jpg

David

Here is another part I have made for the Aquabug, the carbs don't have the usual air filter, instead they have a gauze filter held with a plastic retainer.

SAM_4152a.jpg.a4fbff20e7404ad6967cbb8d83f17d3c.jpg SAM_4153a.jpg.8a53bef40e3d324eda8af293bb77df8a.jpg

Neither of my two Aquabug's had the gauze so I cut a piece to size, I made a retainer from a shortened plastic end cap with a hole cut in the end.

SAM_4334a.jpg.a6303a7f31db3a343efa53c58465f28b.jpg SAM_4335a.jpg.6fe4cabfbe755ecfb135f81fb1683e1b.jpg

David

I have one of these Aqua Bug outboards 1.2 hp. It screams when I spray starting fluid into carb, other than that it won`t go. I`m assuming its not getting fuel. My thought is the diaphragm is

junk. it is also missing the the carb air intake filter piece. Anyone have info on replacement parts?

:WMOM:

Welcome to the forum, is your Aquabug labelled 1.2HP? The O&R compact was only rated for 1HP max (the Perry Aquabug manual gives 1.2HP, clearly a marketing lie).

If you haven't already seen it have a look at the carb rebuild thread, the carb diaphragms can go hard & brittle from gas/fuel & age, other problems could be the carb being gummed up with oil/fuel mix residue or blocked/cracked fuel lines.

The replacement filter parts were made from; a plastic pipe/tube end cover/cap, the sort that are sold in various sizes & colours on ebay etc, I had a 16mm diameter one in my parts box which was shortened and a hole punched for the filter gauze, which was cut to size from small piece of brass gauze.

The original carb filter parts would have been supplied by the K & P Manufacturing Co. who made the Aquabug & Mini Motor outboards.

David