factory

Creme Lure Company & Nichols Ind. Inc. Super Portable Generator

Thought I should start a thread for the Creme Lure generator, as we don't seem to have one.

Here are a couple of pictures of the generator in my collection, it's a "super portable power pack" model S made by the Creme Lure Company of Tyler, Texas & Akron, Ohio.

Most of these generators haven't aged well due to the frame/covers and gas tank being made from plastic, the gas tanks are often warped & the covers can crack.

David

58e3f80621194_CremeLureCompanygenerator1.thumb.jpg.f6ff4ef1344d812ab624bab95a36d4d3.jpg58e3f8086068c_CremeLureCompanygenerator2.thumb.jpg.5b2211d682beac07e23a9925bab3cbf2.jpg58e3f83b22a24_CremeLureCompanygenerator3.jpg.0544b88c3219a01411177743295a4dfd.jpg

And some pictures of the horrors inside, this is a good reminder not to leave batteries in items that are not being used, the nine lives have clearly been used up with these vintage examples that were found in mine! I had to do some dismantling to remove them.

Also note that the generator coils can become loose, which will result in the them being damaged if the generator is run.

David

SAM_6426e.jpg.837e0101fdd8ed27e2a64a518f9791f3.jpg

SAM_6450e.thumb.jpg.93820c7989d499d0c38f1d8a81de95d7.jpg

SAM_6451e.jpg.8c2c7bfcda9c127b0fb05aff259f9c06.jpg

The Nichols generator was featured in the Jan 1963 edition of Popular Science magazine;

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=myADAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA157#v=onepage&q&f=false

Both the Nichols & Creme Lure generators had 110V AC outputs as standard, some also have 6V & 12V DC outputs as well. According to the article linked above, the batteries inside were used for starting.

David

David, is that your Nichols? Very nice! I have a Crème version that is about an 8 out of 10 compared to most that I have seen. I have never ran

mine and was wondering what the heck the batteries were for. Any idea?

16 hours ago, Webhead said:

David, is that your Nichols? Very nice! I have a Crème version that is about an 8 out of 10 compared to most that I have seen. I have never ran

mine and was wondering what the heck the batteries were for. Any idea?

I wish the Nichols was mine, it's the only one I've seen, the pictures were saved from an old ebay listing about 2 years ago. The Creme Lure in the first two posts is mine though, I have never run mine either and will probably not run it due to the design flaws of it being made from fragile plastic.

The only info for the use of the batteries is mentioned in the article linked in post 4, where it says "you start it on a built-in battery, then switch to magneto once it's running ".

I repair electrical & electronic items including motor control stuff for a living and I can't understand how it's even possible to start the engine with the AC alternator generator using 3 volts DC from the internal batteries.

There was a thread discussing this on the old forum where usedtoolman had tried using a battery and it didn't work for starting the engine (it's not clear whether it was tested with an external battery connected to the DC output or the 2 internal batteries), link from the internet archive below;

https://web.archive.org/web/20130814212024/http://ohlssonandrice.forumer.com/creme-lure-generator-question-t1187502.htm

David

On 4/8/2017 at 8:22 AM, Oldjimturbine said:

The one on eBay right now has a black case.  Did they have o&r cases in black?

23 hours ago, Webhead said:

Yes, I have a chainsaw with a black starter. and I have seen others. It could be a replacement, also.

I suspect the engine on the ebay one has been replaced at some point in the past, as the serial number on the generator is very close to the number on mine, but the engine is quite a bit newer. It also looks to have not been used very much.

My collection has a pump and a different generator, both with black starters.

Is it my imagination or did I see a blue version of the Creme Lure generator on the previous forum?

David

On 4/5/2017 at 1:41 AM, Webhead said:

I have never ran mine and was wondering what the heck the batteries were for. Any idea?

The Pittsburgh Press newspaper from the 30th December 1962 also seems to suggest the internal batteries were used in some way for starting;

"Device weighs only 14 pounds advertised as the world's smallest power plant is the 14-pound 110-120 volt unit introduced by the Creme Lure Co - Box 3379- Akron. The Power-Pack portable will operate four hours at full load on four pints of regular gasoline with outboard motor oil. Lights 250 watts (5-50 watt bulbs or equivalent) continuously. Besides providing light in out of the way places, it can be used for pistol drills, portable electric tools and electric razors. It's ideal for fishermen, hunters, campers, emergency light for homes, fallout shelters, civil defense, etc. The engine is an Ohlsson and Rice compact, two stroke cycle, 6300 RPM. Ignition regular flashlight batteries for easy start; magneto to run. Small built-in pilot light for refueling and starting in the dark."

David

:WMOM:

Very nice example and you have the bonus of the original cardboard box. !

Many that we see have the fuel tank bowed out from fuel being stored in them. Something with the cheap plastic? Hard to find a nice one but they do appear once in a while

:WMOM:

Welcome & thanks for posting the pictures, it looks in very nice condition and is the first one I've seen with the original box, are the instructions still with it? These do appear occasionally, but are much less common than the other O&R powered generators.

19 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Many that we see have the fuel tank bowed out from fuel being stored in them. Something with the cheap plastic?

The problem isn't necessarily the plastic being cheap, more to do with early plastics ageing badly and/or reacting with chemicals, fuel/gas/oil & even UV light from the sun. Causing cracking, discolouration/fading of the casing and the tank to become deformed.

You may find other problems I had such as, the glue no longer holding the generator coils in place and decades old batteries leaking (if still fitted).

Edit: Actually I need to investigate further to see how the coils are kept in place, I only originally opened it up to extract the dead batteries.

David

Edited by factory
Extra Info

It does indeed sound like it may have never been used, is there is anything in the instructions specifically for the generator? I've never seen anything myself.

The magazine & newspaper articles mentioned in previous posts (#4 & #11) are the only information I have found so far for this generator.

David

1 hour ago, Razburn said:

Yes the instructions and the warranty cards. 

Those instructions would be a great addition to a new Manual thread we were thinking of creating.

Any chance you could send me some good clear pics of what you have? uremailing@yahoo.com

On 4/5/2017 at 1:32 PM, factory said:

I wish the Nichols was mine, it's the only one I've seen, the pictures were saved from an old ebay listing about 2 years ago.

I have the Nichols generator. Guess I never posted any pics for it.

18 hours ago, Razburn said:

Here’s one shot of the paperwork.

Thank you for posting that, if you are able to picture or scan some of it we would be very interested in adding it to the manuals thread.

If the O&R instructions sheet is dated 5-1-62 then I already have a high-res scan to go on the thread, but I don't have a decent copy of the parts diagram dated 9-1-62.

Never seen the Creme Lure instructions or advert sheet before, is that the original dealer's card to the left of the advert?

David

Don't know why I didn't post the other two internal pictures I took when extracting the batteries a few years ago.

SAM_6457a.jpg.f669c463168d7c8d241fc649bfed7990.jpg

I think this shows why I didn't bother putting new batteries in to try it. Needs the rust cleaning from the terminals with the Dremel, which will be tricky as they are heat-staked into the plastic casing. The rust will add a significant resistance at the low voltage from the batteries (3V).

SAM_6456a.jpg.804d9c055725fc5887f7b600647ca89a.jpg

21 hours ago, Wallfish said:

I have the Nichols generator. Guess I never posted any pics for it.

John, is yours the one from post #3? If it is I will see if I can find a lens for the lamp-holder, must have something amongst all the stuff I got from work or the spares for my vintage electronics.

David

Nope!

Mine is also a Creme Lure but for some reason thought it was a Nichols. It does have the DC connections and good plastic without warping in it.

Maybe there's also a Nichols out there? :dunno:

Never spent any time on this since it was bought except pulling out the old batteries. My O&R stuff has been neglected for far too long. :hide:

Here's some pics of it

1824890410_cremeluregenlabel.JPG.4f0145fd7cc6d7dc1cc878e656bd0dd4.JPG

1130135959_cremegenside.JPG.93d1cd863f88951195df35d9f68de72e.JPG

918908970_cremecarbside.JPG.b926a3d2f177add9168d53c8bb553b2b.JPG

8872807_cremegenmotorside.JPG.6ff6687dbc330a557dfa66d1844e79a0.JPG

6 and 12v connections

1386368322_creme6vand12v.JPG.b2c5ccecb0b60e2ead4478c9e9a5a49b.JPG

Has this little red plastic knob on the carb needle adjustment screw

661008389_cremewithcarbknob.JPG.cb8746240cdad007ada83cc17770a5d7.JPG

Not sure what or why this hole was made in the handle. The top was ground to be flat for which I would assume would be for a nut to rest flat. ??

516738907_cremeholeinhandle.JPG.69a8b4a9ce87928473a3522005fc1254.JPG

The models mentioned in this thread so far;

Creme Lure Model S (AC outlet only)

Creme Lure Model C (AC outlet + Charging at 6V/12V)

Nichols Model D (AC outlet + Charging at 6V/12V), this one made twice the price of the Creme Lure versions.

Mine also has the red cap for the carb needle, the hole added to the handle looks like a previous owners modification :scratchhead:.

r5a.jpg.0562ea29519855d2220ca8db4aec9787.jpg

Another picture I archived to my computer, showing the coils through the damaged casing, not sure whether it was a delivery victim or the plastic become brittle with age. :(

w10a.jpg.6e2aca7cdaea97551033d7239f4db4b3.jpg

David

Yes, the card is from the business who sold it. There is also no oil residual in the reservoir so it appears to have never been run. 

See below. I think this is the OM you asked for. I can only supply photos. I only have a scanner that you feed and the paper are way to old to run through it. 

A3CB3376-4211-4C0D-A086-C7F607D88271.jpeg

8193E3E5-5BED-4770-BFEB-6E5E70AAD246.jpeg

76BF43B0-2AAF-4B02-8549-73D5D83383EF.jpeg

930890BB-CC49-4A74-896E-4C9A7AA2AA90.jpeg