factory

Creme Lure Company & Nichols Ind. Inc. Super Portable Generator

7 hours ago, Razburn said:

Yes, the card is from the business who sold it. There is also no oil residual in the reservoir so it appears to have never been run. 

See below. I think this is the OM you asked for. I can only supply photos. I only have a scanner that you feed and the paper are way to old to run through it. 

Thank you for adding the pictures. As the resolution of pictures is limited to save forum space we would be grateful if you could email them in higher resolution either to me or Wallfish and we should be able to create a higher resolution PDF for the manuals thread. Also we should be able to help better now we have more information.

As the engine looks clean & the tank is also clean, it is possible it was never used, or it maybe only tested once & was then drained of fuel & properly cleaned for storage.

It looks like yours (& mine) are the Creme Lure 'Sportman' Model S with a 300W 110-120V AC output. Wallfish has the Nichols equivalent (Model D) of the Model C, which adds the charging outputs at 6V & 12V DC.

One of the questions from the earlier posts was the function of the start/run switch, this is described as providing a hot spark (it's hard to see how it's wired from the picture) and also disconnects the generator output for easier starting of the engine (with no load).

The parts list also confirms the knurled plastic adjuster cap for the needle valve.

David

On 3/8/2019 at 1:46 PM, Razburn said:

I think this is the OM you asked for. I can only supply photos.

Thanks for emailing the pictures, I have created a PDF of the Creme Lure documents today, I will upload the 1962 O&R documents later (I have a couple of other documents to add to that one first).

Advert sheet;

1389398023_CremeLure2.jpg.62401404b01ca4ece7dd274c1f3ac60a.jpg

PDF, Creme Lure Co. Super Power-Pack.pdf

Operating manual & warranty card;

1083214391_CremeLure1.jpg.77181e6b00b9aabd627af2dbfbdbe3ed.jpg

PDF, Creme Lure Super Portable Power-Pack Operating Manual.pdf

The business card;

432908860_HurstSupplyCoHoustonTexasCard.jpg.05bd0587683636a77d33271b91cfdb80.jpg

David

As far as Razburn"s item being NOS, it's my opinion it is used although seems to be very little and or well kept. The starter rope only gets dirty from pulling the starter rope many times. The dust created from the spring friction inside the stater housing grinds off some dust and it sticks to the rope in the spool. A clean rope is certainly not always an absolute to an engine being NOS because that can always be changed but a dirty rope is a clear indication the starter has been pulled many times. Of coarse there are always exceptions to any rule! It's possible it doesn't take that many pulls to make it dirty as I never counted how many pulls would actually do this or how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop. Just an observation and the exhaust manifold also has some rust spots. Again, not a clear indication of used but seeing a perfect clean rope and a clean perfect exhaust manifold does indicate NOS. (But possible both can be changed!)

Here's one on epay right now and stole the pic.

That is an old style rope and perfectly clean. Possibly never pulled over

916916080_NOSrope.jpg.b1e761b69ac842d347b927641441c705.jpg

On 3/11/2019 at 4:05 PM, Wallfish said:

Here's one on epay right now and stole the pic.

That is an old style rope and perfectly clean. Possibly never pulled over 

That engine with the external stop switch & magneto cover looks like it fell off a Comet circular saw. And your right with enough new parts & a thorough cleaning any engine can be made to look new.

David

look what I found a super portable generator ( Creme lure company) Looks like Tyler Texas- Akron Ohio !!! power pack model  ( s )

looks to have a light on it to see when it's putting out voltage ? never seen one like this are they hard to kind ?

Have no Idea of how old but looks cool. looks to be all there needs a good cleaning .

The only problem is the man that Owens it will not sell it . tried for years I just thought everyone would like to see one.

IMG_2967[1].JPG

IMG_2966[1].JPG

IMG_2965[1].JPG

Wow, now that is an awesome find!  Keep trying, maybe he will give in some day.  They would be cool to add to the collection.

There are quite a few pics of those here on the forum. They are definitely more rare than Tiny Tiny tigers. Some are branded with different names and the one I have also has 12v DC connections.

We don't see many of these, either they didn't sell very well or they didn't survive well due to the use of plastic for both the tank & generator casing.

Hopefully the owner removed the two batteries a long time ago as they can make a mess of the inside when they leak.

The light only works from the two batteries, advertised as being useful if starting or refuelling in the dark, I suspect most people would have carried a separate flash-light/torch with them so probably not that useful as an extra feature.

Also when switched to start, the batteries are connected in series with the primary of the magneto coil, to apparently boost the voltage for easier starting.

See this thread for both the Creme & Nichols version and a boxed one with instructions, etc;

David

If you would like. Did not try a search . I thought i had look threw them but I must have missed it .still don't know my way around .but were working on it!!!

I've merged the two threads & updated the title to include super portable, the forum search is very useful to help find stuff now we have lots of threads.

David

Someone else that found the original plastic gas tank was a design flaw and made a replacement (so not "all original").

The batteries have corroded one of the contact springs too, so the battery case is not clean.

Also I don't have eight hands, but have no trouble getting the starter springs back in. :yankchain:

David

7 minutes ago, factory said:

Also I don't have eight hands, but have no trouble getting the starter springs back in.

Never had a big problem myself I only have three hands two normal one and a big belly to help hold something down.