Sign in to follow this  
the showman

Bolens 600 rear hitch

Now ive got the Bolens running i want to put it to work so the first job is to make a rear hitch.

hunting round in the shed for suitable material i came across a camshaft locking kit for an Audi A 6 so being that I won't be doing anymore of those i cut it up.

Heres today's progress and photos 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

55 minutes ago, the showman said:

Thanks Iain, I downloaded a plan from Gt talk but went my own way with the metal I had in stock

I think your version is much better than the original. I use mine a lot and it is far too wide at the hitch end and it gets in the way. It looks like you have done a fantastic job of overcoming that problem.

Iain

Finished job looks great :thumbs:

On 17/04/2017 at 7:57 PM, the showman said:

Bolens got a diff lock :lol:

May have some bad news for you on this one. The Bolens 600 is one of the only Bolens without diff lock unless someone has changed the rear axle in the past. If they have, you will have this round control knob in the centre of the left hand hub:

58f75eb618322_difflock.jpg.e30b94f68e5786e5500c7f430e46a359.jpg

Bolens claim that precision transmission and automotive-type differential (Bolens terms not mine) give you a traction advantage over other brands even without diff lock. I have no idea if that is true or not as I have not done a direct comparison.

Please don't shot the messenger :hide:

Iain

Thanks Iain, whats the pin for on the o/s rear hub for ? I hav'nt had a chance to drive it yet but seem to drive round the garden centre ok without it engaged.

it says that it enables you to push the tractor when disengadged and works like a handbrake when engaged ?

19 hours ago, the showman said:

Thanks Iain, whats the pin for on the o/s rear hub for ? I hav'nt had a chance to drive it yet but seem to drive round the garden centre ok without it engaged.

it says that it enables you to push the tractor when disengadged and works like a handbrake when engaged ?

Chris, the short version is that Bolens rock but they don't roll :)

The longer version, Bolens rear ends have a worm gear shaft and worm wheel which is the reason the tractor will not roll unless the transaxle input shaft is turning. That plate on the back of the axle is to allow the removal of the worm gear shaft, often people mistake it for a PTO output. Apparently the worm drive is what makes them great tractors for pushing and pulling heavy loads.

When you pull the pin on the o/s rear hub the tractor can be pushed, with the pin in it should not be possible to push the tractor unless the transaxle is badly worn. It should not be possible to drive the tractor with the pin out as the drive hub will turn but the hub (which has the wheel attached) will not.

As you can drive it with the pin out this means one of two things. Firstly it is possible due to lack of use the drive hub has rusted onto the hub and as soon as you load the tractor it will free off, then you will have to use the pin as normal. The second reason (and most likely) is that the play in the axle has been incorrectly adjusted. The hub on this model has a single narrow bronze bush inside (6 speed transaxles have two bronze bushes) and it does not take long before the single bush develops a crown and the O/S wheel develops lateral movement. It does not take much wear on the bush for the moment to appear and it looks worse than it is. The way to resolve this problem is to replace the bush but many people over adjust the axle end play instead, which is clearly a very bad idea and the first outcome is that you can drive the tractor with the pin out, the second is that you shorten the life of the diff. Here is the instructions for adjusting the axle end play.

Bolens Rear-Axle End-Play Adjustment.pdf

If you adjust the rear axle and find the bush is badly worn I think I may have a spare new one which I can hunt out. Alternatively, you can wait until I retire as one of my many retirement projects is to develop a solution to overcome this problem.

Probably a very bad explanation so let me know where it does not make sense.

Iain

Chris, an extract from GTT from Brian's article on Tube Frame Bolens.

The Bolens Husky 600 did not come with a locking differential. A good way to tell if you have a true original transmission in your 1962 Bolens 600 is look at the hitch on the back. It will be a cast iron hitch molded right into the transmission. 62' was the only year they did this.  

ccs-8-132894118526.jpg

Another important thing to know is that in order to be able to push the tractor in "free wheel", you must pull out the cotter pin and slide out the free wheeling pin. You can see the pin in the area circled in the picture above.

Got a bit more done today.

As i use the auto caulto plough with good results I decided to make the hitch adaptable to take most of my attachments.

i got a length of channel bent up and drilled some holes, its held on with 2 nuts.

ive also welded the tube on to make more like a clevis.

heres some photos 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg