madmatt01

Horwool engine woes! Kohler k301

So today I have started to rebuild the horwool. 

Got the engine in place and rigged up the wiring. 

We got it to fire a few times but now nothing :( 

Can anone give me any pointers to look at.. 

Kohler k301s. It doesn't appear to have points. It has an external coil and breaker I think. 

Have checked it with multi meter... everything seems to be responding except the spark plug 😐

Il include some photos... 

Colour scheme the wifes choice. .. 

20170417_194355.jpg

20170417_194401.jpg

20170417_185622.jpg

20170417_123501.jpg

Yes.... dad machined a template at work and we re drilled to fit 6 stud. 

Sits well. 

Just hope I can sort engine. We have re wired as per online diagram with no luck. This solid state ignition is ment to be ultra relIable.... Guess il have to open my wallet 

There will be one wire going from the ignition unit to the ignition switch . Disconnecting this (at the engine end) isolates the ignition system (sparks) from any interference from a faulty ignition switch or any safety switches. So with that disconnected crank it up and check for a spark from the HT lead (plug lead). If sparking is restored it is then a matter of working through the system. Start with the kill wire itself . Reconnect it at the engine end and disconnect it at the switch end. Still ok then the kill wire is not shorting out . Then check the switch terminal  - with the switch in the run position that terminal should be open circuit. In the stop position it should show continuity to ground.

If all that checks out the problem lies elsewhere such as whatever safety switch system is fitted eg operator on the seat, brake applied, cutter clutch disengaged.

On this machine there isn't any safety wires. It is simply wired up as followed.. 

I'm worried the problem lies with the trigger module or ignition coil as can't find these parts anywhere 

20170417_223554.jpg

I'm worried the problem lies with the trigger module or ignition coil as can't find these parts anywhere 

Not sure that I understand what you are saying as both the coil and trigger are shown in your original images. What is not clear to me from the schematic wiring diagram is whether battery current is needed for the ignition system or whether it is self energising and the battery is only needed for the starter motor. The danger is that if the ignition system is independent from the battery but due to a wiring error has received "a dose of volts" it may have died.

Could really do with a better wiring diagram. I may have one and will have a look later.

When I bought the tractor it has the trigger wired to +. 

I think I may have burnt either the trigger module or the ignition coil. 

It provides its own energy behind the flywheel.  Battery is just to turn over 

Matt 

Nearly there... carb leaking fuel back out the inlet. Was set up for gravity fed tank but iv fitted pump.  

Over fueling I pressume now. 

Swap carbs over now 

Old man having a test run....

20170422_120940.jpg

Carb changed... running lovely. 

Finished off the last few odds and sods.  

It's not 100% how I want it but close enough. 

Now ready for a quick clean and il be sorted