Oldjimturbine

Octura white heat V boat

Think you can run those with an air cooled engine too. I have an air cooled gas engine with the White Heat exhaust stack. Came with the Octura engine mount too so it seems to be all original. I'm just missing the boat!

Do you have a boat or the plans to build one?

Here's a thread for the White Heat

The original article for building the White Heat V hydroplane by Tom Perzentka (of Octura Models) in Popular Mechanics from June 1962 used a standard unmodified air cooled engine with the original magneto ignition. The full article including scaled down plans for building the White Heat V hydroplane is available for free on google books here; https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=mtwDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA124#v=onepage&q&f=false

It's on pages 124 to 130, pages 186 to 188 and page 190. The plans were originally also available in full size, Octura Models also sold the engine, mount and a kit of parts.

The engine used (pictured below) is also one of the first 6000 produced by Ohlsson & Rice.

David

58fb61b6caae3_PopularMechanicsJun1962WhiteHeatVHydroplaneengine.jpg.476df40b77ea356e01839ffbd208e230.jpg

Thank you all for the great info.  I am hoping one day to get the boat with engine, but right now I want to just get the octura water cooled engine, or just the octura cylinder head for it.   I want to learn about engines, and looking to get another cylinder head made from that one, and hopefully use it to get a better understanding of this engine.

One more question regarding the cylinder head. I will read the articles everyone sent me, and thank you for that.  Will the water cooled head, fit on a 14mm engine?  Is the only difference in the cylinder heads the diameter of the thread itself to fit the newer spark plug, or are the pistons larger also?

The water-cooled cylinder with 10mm spark plug can be found on both the early ¾HP engines as well as the later 0.85HP & 1HP engines, the water-cooled cylinders don't usually turn up without an engine though. It was available from O&R in 1962 (part no. A-40-3) as well as Octura Models but doesn't appear on any other parts lists I have seen.

Here are the specifications for the ¾HP, 0.85HP & 1HP engines, note the compression ratio & stroke is different depending on the engine rating, the first is from 1961 and the second is from 1966.

590230d0d07bd_OhlssonRiceCompactEnginesSpecifications1961a.jpg.17707828ee80615199e14539fef1c183.jpg

590230d2c69fb_OhlssonRiceCompactEnginesSpecifications1966a.jpg.5cda9a949c8499e68fbe8ec69ef22f55.jpg

I have also seen 14mm cylinders that are water-cooled, but they look like a modified version of the standard cylinder, these do appear in the UK occasionally (both 10mm & 14mm cylinders), but I have always wondered if they were modified by model makers/engineers as the water pipes are never in the same place and the starter/blower housing is often cut down. I even saw one with a hole in the starter/blower housing for a water pipe. I have not found any articles/information about this though, probably not helped as some magazines such as "Model Engineer" don't have a on-line archive.

Here is a picture of one of these modified engines (not mine).

5902351a34ce3_water-cooledcylinder.jpg.a0ee612a4be188c7888e0150c1270a28.jpg

David