Sign in to follow this  
WestwoodGazelle

Westwood Grille Fabrication (Fibreglass)

Hi all, 

Before I start I would like to say I am more or less a fibreglass novice, I have done some basic car body repair jobs before but nothing fancy, and this is just for fun. I do not claim to be a master fibreglass worker/molder or even a good one :lol: 

However I wanted to see if I could build a Westwood grille (the type that was used from the Gazelle to the early T and D series tractors). These grilles look pretty cool in my opinion and I wanted to see if I could recreate one out of fibreglass. So I needed a mold, and given I have lots of amateur experience with concrete I decided there's no kill like overkill and I would use that for the mold (cast?). 

So to start off I needed to use a spare grille I have as a base, and I covered it in tin foil with pritt-stick. I am happy to say this resulted in no damage to the grille after I removed it. 

DSC00077.JPG.562f291032a1d45d07a3d95bf50b037a.JPG

Then it was time to build up the concrete mold, using a mixture of 4 parts sharp sand, and 1 part cement powder, and using screws and nails and scrap metal to increase the strength. 

DSC00119.JPG.c108c494e56a9466573b5eefb4b743b3.JPG

The mold is now finished, and I will post a picture of it below. 

And here is the finished mold, I will begin the fibreglassing process soon. 

DSC00296.JPG.c296895fcc4c32c1dd67f19b2fa2f60b.JPG

Before I begin the fibreglass build I wondered if anyone had any suggestions on how to stop it sticking the the mold. I have fibreglass releasing wax, does anyone know if this should be adequate? 

Where I started work there was a fibreglass department. The moulds were made of wood  and smeared with silicone grease I think. It was a while ago.

Another way would be to make a mould using the original as a mould for the mould. If you follow me.

From memories of canoe building there is a mould release agent which you can spray or paint into the mould before you apply the gel coat , the gel coat is very smooth and should not stick, allow to dry before stippling in the fibre and resin.

Hi all, been a long time since I updated this, I wouldn't say I lost interest, more like I have been distracted by lots of other projects :lol: Anyway, I have made a small start on the grille, so far so good. I am working in small sections at a time so I can be as perfectionist as possible. Once the mould is done I will sand it down and use a thin skim of body filler over any rough patches, then paint. For originality I was thinking of painting it a creamy white colour, but part of me wants to do something a little custom like silver :lol:

27950694_10213714180476038_127527839_o27990713_10213714178355985_1639505951_o