sparrow

Ransomes mg2 problems

Hi all, I have just bought a ransomes mg2 which is in overall good condition. I don't know much about these crawlers, so I'm after some help. It has no compression. When you turn the starting handle, it rotates freely and the clutch spins, but the crankshaft does not move, so the piston, and valves don't go up and down. I didnt want to take the engine apart completely, unless I have to. The main gearbox seems to work ok, because you can select forward and reverse, and move the crawler by turning the starting handle. Any ideas on what the problem might be? 

Thanks

Edited by sparrow

To turn the engine over you need to engage the clutch by pulling out one of the spring loaded plungers on the back of the clutch. I recommend that you get a manual for the MG2, they have much info about the engine and transmission, copies are readily available on that well known auction site. I find that my MG2 will not fire if the throttle is open beyond a fraction when starting.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Both the clutch and the flywheel spin when you turn the starting handle, but nothing happens inside of the engine. Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by sparrow

I am at the Dene Rally ( SO24 0HA ) with my MG2 this weekend. If it is not too far from you in Wiltshire I would be happy to show you how to start an MG2 (which probably means that I have put the mockers on it starting:rolleyes:). The Dene Rally is a good event with tractors, steam, vintage cars and motorbikes and much more.

Thanks, sounds like a good rally, I will try and come along, if I dont have to work!! I found out the problem was the key way for the flywheel had sheared off, so I fitted a new one, and the engine turns over now, but wont run, so I think it needs re-timing. How do you go about timing it?

Thanks

To set the ignition timing, set the piston at top dead centre firing stroke, using paint or Tippex make a mark on the flywheel and crankase to mark TDC, remove the front timing chain case, slacken the nut on the lower timing sprocket and release the sprocket off the taper to turn freely but do not remove . with a socket or spanner on the nut of the top sprocket on the magneto rotate the sprocket ,chain and magneto until you hear the magneto click( magneto spring should wind up and then release with a strong click) turn the magneto backwards approx 1/4 turn and then tighten lower sprocket back on taper. With the plug removed, rotate the engine with the handle and check that the magneto fires ( clicks ) at the point when the timing marks align. Repeat the process until click and marks are perfectly aligned. The engine should now be timed to fire on starting at top dead centre. As soon as the engine starts the timing will self advance to approx 20 degrees.  Hope that helps.