Sign in to follow this  
Potash123

Hayter 21 Front wheels cream crackered.

Plodding on with the restoration. front wheel bearings have disintegrated and the wheels are not much better. Do any more modern wheels fit, I am aware this is a heavy machine, however about 80% of the weight sits on the back wheels ( They are in good condition ). I was wondering if the Hayterette wheels may do the job. Thanks lads 

Think I have solved it. Took two wheels off an old Hayterette. The are slightly bigger diameter but the bearing shaft is the same size. They have caged roller bearings with cones and fit well. I don't suppose these new plastic wheels are as strong as the old steel ones, will have to see. 

For the record, the original Hayter 21 metal wheels with the three piece bearing, cone, ball race (note ball, not roller) and cup were 7" and those fitted to the Hayterette were 8". The later plastic wheels used on Hayterettes had the one piece press in "capsule" bearings but I believe the 21 and Osprey were phased out before the adoption of plastic wheels..

For anyone without access to a donor machine, Central Spares sell a reasonable quality 8" steel wheel with  capsule bearings to fit a 1/2shaft, their part number 11215. However you will need to find someone with a CS account.

19 hours ago, Wristpin said:

For the record, the original Hayter 21 metal wheels with the three piece bearing, cone, ball race (note ball, not roller) and cup were 7" and those fitted to the Hayterette were 8". The later plastic wheels used on Hayterettes had the one piece press in "capsule" bearings but I believe the 21 and Osprey were phased out before the adoption of plastic wheels..

For anyone without access to a donor machine, Central Spares sell a reasonable quality 8" steel wheel with  capsule bearings to fit a 1/2shaft, their part number 11215. However you will need to find someone with a CS account.

I've got a cs account  if any one needs some thing