Sign in to follow this  
harryt

Heat induction tool

Has anyone ever had any experience with these, they are relatively new and use a magnetic field to create the heat. They look good as no flames are produced making it safer, also heating a bolt red hot it seconds

They are pricey but look worth it if anyone has had any experience with these I would like to know your thoughts.

There are a few videos online if you want to take a look, just search "heat induction tool"

Harry

Just been looking at a few videos. The safety factor is an interesting point and applying direct heat to the bolt itself without damaging or distorting the surrounding areas appeals to me greatly. I am assuming that you could save a lot of time using this tool which would obviously speed the job up no end. 

However the price at the moment is the only negative point I got about this product. Hopefully over time the product will be become more widely available and thus cheaper? Have you got a trade card so you might be able to get it a tad cheaper? Be interesting to see others views on this. 

How many times a year do you get a nut or bolt seized that you can't get undone with a spray of rust buster and a wrench, as for nuts I just cut them in half with a disk cutter if they are really stubborn, I just could not warrant the cost for the amount of use it would get, I have never in. My life found a bolt or nut that ihavnt been un able to get out and as for engine studs you would need to heat the engine  head not the stud

I do also agree that the machine is pricey, however in the long run it is cheaper as you won't have to keep paying for gas, it may also stop the frustration and colourful language when getting a bolt off as it is more efficient. 

As Andrew said, hopefully it will get cheaper as it is a relatively new product in the market.

I have access to one of these and they are brilliant.  Apart from the cost there are some other restrictions in that you require a variety of induction loops depending on the diameter or surface being heated and access.   This of course increases the cost as if you have the tool it would be most frustrating if you did not have the correct adaptor to allow it to be used.

Currently not a DIY tool due to cost.

Neil

On 10/07/2017 at 3:01 PM, Ransomes256 said:

I have access to one of these and they are brilliant.  Apart from the cost there are some other restrictions in that you require a variety of induction loops depending on the diameter or surface being heated and access.   This of course increases the cost as if you have the tool it would be most frustrating if you did not have the correct adaptor to allow it to be used.

Currently not a DIY tool due to cost.

Neil

On 10/07/2017 at 8:01 AM, harryt said:

I do also agree that the machine is pricey, however in the long run it is cheaper as you won't have to keep paying for gas, it may also stop the frustration and colourful language when getting a bolt off as it is more efficient. 

As Andrew said, hopefully it will get cheaper as it is a relatively new product in the market.

Another factor to consider is insurance. Insurance companies are getting increasingly restrictive regarding " hot works", particularly where Oxy Acetelyne is concerned and are not too happy with it in domestic situations. Induction heaters get around most of those issues.