Sign in to follow this  
mickrochip

wheelhorse c141 drive belt

hello there , 

can any one please tell me the correct lenght of a transmission drive belt for my c141, I got one about 82"long and it is just too big,

also can anyone let me hahe a picture of how to correctly route this belt

thanks for now

Ok, then your belt part number is 7473 and it should be 81.95 inches, so your 82" is the correct size-ish. As for a Pic, all I have is this one which is also a 7473 Belt on the same layout as yours-

DSC00263.JPG.e4575b9c0dc44f30fb3afc54889cb33e.JPG

Regards

No problem. If you are getting a genuine toro part 7473, then all will be fine.

If you get an Aftermarket alternative check that the section of the Belt is as near to these dimensions as possible-

BELTS.JPG.883d371574327ac0d50174aa3e280a83.JPG

The reason is that the Disengagement Tabs on the Belt Cover must be properly adjusted and the Belt must be just proud of the Engine Pulley for it to work properly.

Sorry Allen, I just realised you're going to get a shorter Belt. The Only things I can think of that requires you to get a shorter Belt are-

wrong diameter of the 3 Pulleys fitted......Clutch mechanism not taking up the Tension and the position of the Engine on the Frame.

I believe you've had the Tractor for several years, so you probably know it better than me.

thank you for your reply , 

as far as i know the tractor is original , this is the first time i have had anything to do with the tractor ,in the few years that i have had it,

the old belt just broke in bits whilst mowing the side of the road at home,. by the way what way do you measure a belt, I  will try and post a few pictures when my son takes them an downloads them to my computer

thanks for now

20 hours ago, mickrochip said:

thank you for your reply , 

as far as i know the tractor is original , this is the first time i have had anything to do with the tractor ,in the few years that i have had it,

the old belt just broke in bits whilst mowing the side of the road at home,. by the way what way do you measure a belt, I  will try and post a few pictures when my son takes them an downloads them to my computer                              thanks for now

I've always seen quotes for measuring Belts around the outside, which concurs with my tests on new belts.

If you have a piece of Rope with a thickness of about 5/8 or 16mm you can fit around the Pulleys keeping it taught and check the length that way.

Measuring an old Belt is of no real use, as it has most likely stretched and worn out.

Also check the Clutch Spring is good and strong, so it pulls the Clutching Idler Pulley up tight onto the belt.

Do you have a local supplier for your parts, or go somewhere like Gosford Equipment Ltd?. 

thank you for all your information, 

to day i got a belt., no. on belt  B  17 x  2050 li , will this belt fit my machine, 

thanks 

just to up date on belt situation the belt mentioned in above post is also too long,when  converted to imp. it works out about 80 3/4" LONG. but this belt is still long , when clutch is released fully it will not put pressure on belt to drive machine, so will be going for a shorter belt again

A bit late now but have just unearthed an old Dayco belt catalogue which cross references that 7473 number to their ref L582, ie an L5 section, 82" long. L5= 5/8", 16mm

In belt measuring language Li =inner length, La= outer length , Lw/Ld = working length and Le = effective length and somewhere along the line some manufacturers refer to a "mean pitch length" ! 

1 hour ago, mickrochip said:

just to up date on belt situation the belt mentioned in above post is also too long,when  converted to imp. it works out about 80 3/4" LONG. but this belt is still long , when clutch is released fully it will not put pressure on belt to drive machine, so will be going for a shorter belt again

Hi Allen, I'm still concerned that you may be going down the wrong path by obtaining a shorter Belt. I have suspicions that there is an issue with your Clutching Linkage and/or the strength of the Extension Spring fitted. It sounds like the Spring fitted on yours is too weak to perform it's task properly. 

I have to use great effort and both hands to fit the Springs on mine.

It is difficult to help when I/we can't see the machine, but I have an image of one fitted to my '74' C-120  (same set up as yours) and under tension-

DSC00766.JPG.30d1c98617366827040bc572cbc9ee6a.JPG

I can't endorse the fitting of a shorter belt, when you may find it won't help and then have to obtain other parts and another correct size belt to get your Tractor working properly as it should again. Just in case you need them,  the Part number for the Extension Spring was 1014, but now Toro 83-2730. And I can give you the approximate dimensions-

1014 Spring, Extension, 4.500" between hooks, 0.070" wire,  0.520" coil OD, 0.380 coil ID, 3.570" coil length, 52 + 2 1/2 coils = 53.

Don't know the Draw rate in Pounds I'm afraid. I fitted a stronger one, same length , wire 0.125", 0.750" Coil OD .