BikebuilerNewBee

Hi , In search of vintage orline chicken

Hi , just joined the forum .

Got this NOS engine , was planning to "make" a orline chicken power engine but i think i will drop the idea as the engine is a "vietnam" type and not the 181 .

Does anyone have any vintage orline kits to sell . BTW below are the pictures of my orline engine.

thanks

IMG_5834.jpg

IMG_5835.jpg

IMG_5836.jpg

IMG_5837.jpg

9 hours ago, Stormin said:

I can't help with your request for a kit, but I am curious as why it's called a chicken power engine?

It's little more than clever marketing, the kit was originally sold by Orline using the less memorable name of "Bike Motor Kit" in the mid sixties, picture of the box side shown below (not mine).

59b0281cf330a_OrlineBikeMotorKit.jpg.686e5f528a5e52951d31cab1bcde35e7.jpg

A very similar looking kit was also available near the start of the production of the O&R engine in 1961.

59b02d5a173e8_MotorbikeConversionKit.jpg.6317cc8dbbd61ab476395bbe269f46fb.jpg

Here is an advert from 1974 for the "Chicken Power" branded auxiliary engine kit, where they explain that it's gives the estimated power of about 650 chickens for your bike.

59b02f473acf5_ChickenPowerBikeEngineKitAd1974.jpg.3668a082014ed2722162196c639f80da.jpg

And here is the box side of the later "Chicken Power" branded auxiliary engine kit (also not mine).

59b030a796b0a_ChickenPowerAuxiliaryEngineKit.jpg.c7be826c5cb53079a6d4aa685d48c6e8.jpg

And lastly here is an original TV commercial for the "Chicken Power" kit from the mid seventies on youtube;

David

16 hours ago, BikebuilerNewBee said:

Hi , just joined the forum .

Got this NOS engine , was planning to "make" a orline chicken power engine but i think i will drop the idea as the engine is a "vietnam" type and not the 181 .

Does anyone have any vintage orline kits to sell . BTW below are the pictures of my orline engine.

thanks

:WMOM:

The engine you have is a Type 133 engine made for the military, many of these keep turning up for sale, usually still in the original box never used, unfortunately I haven't found any reliable source of information for what the military used them for, that include the sites that mention Vietnam and the wrong info given on some sites mentioning WW2 (these engines didn't exist then).

The Type 133 engine has a tapered power output shaft, which is the wrong type for the bike kit gearbox which uses a clutch that fits the "D" shaped power output shaft.

You are most likely to find these kits on eBay if you keep looking on there, in fact there are three available at the moment, some of which have been on eBay for a long time.

Orline kit, missing tank, throttle cable & proper exhaust (it may be hard to find these parts), has best offer available;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112536567748

Orline kit, missing tank and does not spark, a bit expensive but has best offer available;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222581900155

Chicken Power branded kit with a bike you may not want, you could ask if they will sell the kit without the bike, also has best offer;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322656615139

David

Here's the story with this one: I bought it about 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure that the engine is unused, but I believe that I put a new diaphragm and crank seals in it

when I bought it, because I did that with all of my O&R's. I know for sure that the fuel tank and exhaust have never been used. The throttle cable is a nice aftermarket

version. It comes with an original manual and a tattered box, not shown. There are no guarantees that it is turn key, because I have never met an O&R that was! If you 

are interested, please pm me and I will give you the price and shipping cost.

DSCN4124.JPG

Here is a video of another one that my son was riding about 5 years ago:

On 9/6/2017 at 7:55 PM, BikebuilerNewBee said:

Thanks a ton for all your help and inputs , i think i might not get my hands on this kit as there are very few sellers  but i will keep trying .

I don't know if your still looking or bought the kit offered by Webhead, but there is a more reasonably priced kit on eBay at the moment;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohlsson-Rice-Bicycle-Engine-/172904003458?rmvSB=true

David