Hi all, and of course Westwood fans that may be interested... I have bought a 1978 W8 Westwood gazelle 'pale face', starts on the key. 8 horsepower, column gear change. I have recently replaced points and condenser which seemed to of solved the problem, as before when the mower ran for a few minutes the engine used to cut out. I have also replaced air filter for the first time in 39 long years! 😂 I have also given the engine numerous amounts of oil changes as when I bought the mower last year there was lots of residue like sludge left in the oil. After all the work, engine starts and runs lovely. ☺ About a month ago... I was cutting grass and tried using the clutch and the clutch wouldn't stop the machine!!! So had to shut off the machine before I nearly collided. 😂😨  Only to find the drive belt had slipped off the pulley. This has made me by a new drive belt with two new pulleys. The pulleys arrived but wasn't convinced they were the right size, so I sent them back. Kept the drive belt. Unfortunately I am having troubles with finding the right size pulleys for the mower. If anyone has a pair of unused original metal Westwood Gazelle pulleys for sale, or know where to find some. Please tell me. Thanks. Here's some pics of my Westwood last year. 

IMG_20170409_143923.jpg

IMG_20170409_143934.jpg

IMG_20170409_143949.jpg

If you can get me the sizes  of the pulleys (bore, height, width of V, diameter, pictures would be best with measurements)  I can cross reference them to part numbers you can use locally. The part numbers used by Westwood unfortunately aren't the same as used by the pulley distributor/manufacturers .

Yes, Westwoods were made in the 70s . Not sure how far back for the tractor shaped ones but they were definitely around pre 80s. I had a Lawnbug early 70s or even late 60s!!!!

We used to see the trans drive belt dropped off the big pulley on the top of the trans and used to fit a peg keeper down from above just to stop it falling clear of the pulley when de-clutched.

Did you post this query somewhere else a while back? In answer to whoever did I posted the part numbers for two pulley mod kits for the "zig zag pulleys that did the de-clutching. I'll dig them out again and add them to this post.

EDIT

3230 and 5823   Both on our stock file as "idler pulley mod kits" .Obviously meant something back in the day but may have no relevance to your question!

Edited by Wristpin
additional info

On 08/09/2017 at 5:37 AM, HeadExam said:

If you can get me the sizes  of the pulleys (bore, height, width of V, diameter, pictures would be best with measurements)  I can cross reference them to part numbers you can use locally. The part numbers used by Westwood unfortunately aren't the same as used by the pulley distributor/manufacturers .

Hi, outside measurements of pulley is 2 1/2 inches from outside pulley. The diameter is 2 inches. Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated! 😀

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 6:38 PM, Chris said:

Were westwoods built in the 70s??

I would have guessed 1988

I've got a 1973 advert for the Lawnbug Chris so I would have thought Westwood tractors started in the early 70's ?

20 hours ago, WestwoodW8Gazelle said:

Hi, outside measurements of pulley is 2 1/2 inches from outside pulley. The diameter is 2 inches. Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated! 😀

Pulleys and idlers need the measurements of the diameter, the width, the bore, and the size and type of the channel. Also the style and size of the center bearing area, whether protruding or recessed, needs to be the same. A picture or diagram is the only real way to assure a proper fit. The original part number may also lead to a cross reference part number from others that have searched for replacements on the internet

4 hours ago, HeadExam said:

Pulleys and idlers need the measurements of the diameter, the width, the bore, and the size and type of the channel. Also the style and size of the center bearing area, whether protruding or recessed, needs to be the same. A picture or diagram is the only real way to assure a proper fit. The original part number may also lead to a cross reference part number from others that have searched for replacements on the internet

Hi here's some pictures of the pulley. I am not sure what you mean by the bore. Thanks for the reply. 😀 I hope these pictures are clear enough... Thanks.

1505066652016-1945051561.jpg

1505066736451-1245350405.jpg

1505066782145156712914.jpg

1505066922338-844634879.jpg

Edited by WestwoodW8Gazelle

Bore is the hole through the centre. Where about are you located? I broke a Gazelle a few years back. I kept some of the pulleys and I think I have one like that. I'll check tomorrow.

2 hours ago, WestwoodW8Gazelle said:

Hi here's some pictures of the pulley. I am not sure what you mean by the bore. Thanks for the reply. 😀 I hope these pictures are clear enough... Thanks.

1505066652016-1945051561.jpg

1505066736451-1245350405.jpg

1505066782145156712914.jpg

1505066922338-844634879.jpg

The only thing to watch out for on this fairly common idler (in size) is the the protruding bearing/center offset on one side, it needs to have the very same offset or a spacer must be used to create one. It appears to be a AYP idler pulley p/n AYP 4702H or AYP 66048 (same) Stens part number 280-024. which has a 3/8" bore (hole, 2-1/2" outside diameter, and 1" height (distance across the idler). i believe this part also has the same offset on one side, 10 bucks new around here

11 hours ago, HeadExam said:

The only thing to watch out for on this fairly common idler (in size) is the the protruding bearing/center offset on one side, it needs to have the very same offset or a spacer must be used to create one. It appears to be a AYP idler pulley p/n AYP 4702H or AYP 66048 (same) Stens part number 280-024. which has a 3/8" bore (hole, 2-1/2" outside diameter, and 1" height (distance across the idler). i believe this part also has the same offset on one side, 10 bucks new around here

Thank-you very much, excellent news about the pulleys. I have found the pulleys from new online using your part numbers. It's great, as now I can get the old girl back up and running! Haha. Thanks. 😃👍

13 hours ago, Stormin said:

Bore is the hole through the centre. Where about are you located? I broke a Gazelle a few years back. I kept some of the pulleys and I think I have one like that. I'll check tomorrow.

Thanks. Haha. Its good to know some extra knowledge. Using some part numbers kindly provided by Head exam I will try and look online as some pulleys came up new same as my pulley. Thanks for the offer, if I can't find the pulleys, I may offer you something for the breaker pulleys if they are still available. Thanks for the help. 😃👍

21 hours ago, pmackellow said:

I've got a 1973 advert for the Lawnbug Chris so I would have thought Westwood tractors started in the early 70's ?

Wow! Really? I haven't seen any adverts for Westwood early mowers. I have one for my Westwood W8 but only printed it off from Google. Haha. 😂 Would love to see a picture of the advert! Sounds interesting. Thanks. 😃

On 09/09/2017 at 11:11 PM, Wristpin said:

Thanks. I will check it out! 😃

17 minutes ago, pmackellow said:

Here's a photo of the 1973 advert

Reading through my literature I also found a brochure from 1970, so even earlier !

P9110044.JPG

P9110045.JPG

P9110046.JPG

Thanks! That's the first time I have seen an official old Westwood advertising!! Haha. Now I wish I kept my old lawnbug. I sold it for £10!! This was before I was into Westwood mowers and I saw nothing of it at the time unfortunately. 

There was a Lawnbug at John's place.  Sold it on eBay for £100 long before the big clear out started.  Not sure what model but remember it was green with a white engine.  Non runner and scruffy condition.

19 hours ago, pmackellow said:

Wow that's one early bug. Looks really cool. Just like stepping back in time!! Haha. Sorry if my comments are a little weird. (I still don't know how to comment without 'quoting' all of the post I am replying to. 😂