Hi guys, came across this Westwood last winter and thought I would post if you may be interested. The previous owner had this Westwood for many years and looked after it, that is until she was replaced by a newer and bigger mower, I had mixed feelings about whether I should go for it and I asked if I could have it. He wanted it gone or one day for scrap so he gave me the mower! I saw the mower parked up under a bush when gardening for clients and as I am interested I asked about the mower, the mower is a W8 1979. (Built one year after my 78W8) When brought it back home, noticed all the buttons and levers were and still are all seized!! The mower had stood outside for a good 20 years under the bush so no surprise. Previous owner used mower for rolling field and also using harrow. It's good to have a pull start mower as my other gazelle is only ignition start. There are some weird adaptions made to this mower i.e. the ignition switch, highly doubt this was factory, but I believe this model of Gazelle is the basic model as for some reason the headlights are bolted in with a metal sheet. Previous owner painted green, have no idea why. Next year I am planning to either try to get this old girl running alongside my W8 gazelle, or I may break up. Seems a shame to do so. Already used spare front tire for my diesel Westwood as seen in the first pic. Haha. Is this the beginning? Hopefully not. Still have to order pulleys and new lights for my 78W8 may be for Christmas, haha. Found pulleys but they are in America! So am trying to find a UK supplier. Will be posting video of my 78W8 running once I have pulleys and also the first start of this new 1979 W8! Also was able to print off Westwood Manuel so if anyone needs pictures from Manuel, I can post them. Thanks for reading.

IMG_20171014_165229.jpg

IMG_20171014_165242.jpg

IMG_20171014_165410.jpg

IMG_20171014_165419.jpg

IMG_20171014_165311.jpg

IMG_20171014_165520.jpg

IMG_20171014_165428.jpg

Edited by WestwoodW8Gazelle

Nice, glad he gave you the mower :) With some TLC the Westwood could be very nice, if you need to weld the seatbox/bulkhead where it's rotted by the rear fenders, when we did my '84 Westwood it was fairly easy to repair, though unfortunately have no pics of that. I don't know if it is a basic model, or if lights were an optional extra, either ways I hope it goes well if you decide to restore. 

Thanks! Not feeling too confident to restore. Haha. But will definitely get the mower mechanically sound with new parts if needed. I always thought that the lights were the deluxe model? Maybe, who knows. Won't be until the next season until I get this girl running as well as my other W8 which still needs pulleys. Through winter I probably will be getting other gazelle ready for next summer mechanically. I try to look after the mower as its almost an interest. Haha. But my mate offered to cut the grass to see how the old Gazelle preformed cutting long grass, which was fine as its ok on the highest adjustment especially when its not a routine. So when I was in house watching I noticed he forgot to adjust the deck height, and the deck was on the lowest adjustment, and the poor engine was smoking and slowing down so I ran outside to stop him!! Last time anyone cuts with that mower. Haha. Not to worry tho as engine runs smoothly and is looked after. Couldn't believe it!

3 hours ago, WestwoodW8Gazelle said:

Thanks! Not feeling too confident to restore. Haha. But will definitely get the mower mechanically sound with new parts if needed. I always thought that the lights were the deluxe model? Maybe, who knows. Won't be until the next season until I get this girl running as well as my other W8 which still needs pulleys. Through winter I probably will be getting other gazelle ready for next summer mechanically. I try to look after the mower as its almost an interest. Haha. But my mate offered to cut the grass to see how the old Gazelle preformed cutting long grass, which was fine as its ok on the highest adjustment especially when its not a routine. So when I was in house watching I noticed he forgot to adjust the deck height, and the deck was on the lowest adjustment, and the poor engine was smoking and slowing down so I ran outside to stop him!! Last time anyone cuts with that mower. Haha. Not to worry tho as engine runs smoothly and is looked after. Couldn't believe it!

Oh dear yes he should have had it on high setting! Still, they're very tough old tractors so she should be fine! Westwoods are so over-engineered and that's one of the reasons I like them so much :)

Exactly, I noticed that the lights were wired up to the engine so that when the engine is running it not only charges the battery but also the lights run off the engine, not the battery! For a 70s machine that's pretty clever. Even I was surprised. Haha. I also came across an early Westwood, same model as yours on YouTube, but unfortunately has been adapted with bigger engine etc.

Nice :) Though yes, I agree originality is king, that's why I didn't paint mine and used Owatrol oil instead (not that I have a real issue with painting as sometimes there's no other choice). Interesting that the guy says the steering is broken, the early ones have a chain and gear steering mechanism as opposed to the later rack and pinion, I find the chain one to be less sloppy. 

I have never heard of a chain and gear steering. But yes I hope to get some Owatrol, to try to preserve the paint and metal work. Haha. I couldn't resist but to polish the bonnet when I first got the mower three years back, but will use oil this time.

I will have to get you a picture of the chain and gear steering, it's pretty cool :) Haha! Owatrol is great because I hate the idea of things just slowly decaying, and whilst I like normal oil, it will always leave stuff a little sticky, so I find Owatrol perfect because it prevents rust but also dries. 

Hi all, I’m back! I have my Westwood all up and running with new pulleys and drive belt. I would like to say thank you to HeadExam and everyone who helped me to try and find the right pulleys for my old Gazelle. I have recently started her up and put the cutter deck on to cut some grass as well as a nice ride around the garden. I’m glad she’s back up and running better than ever as there is no more loud noise from the old belt and pulleys. I have also made a video as requested from MyOldMachine user, WestwoodGazelle of the Gazelle starting up and running as well as general information about the mower.

I have replaced the pulleys, drive belt, and the lights on the Gazelle after being out of action for a year, and currently changing the oil after a nice long run yesterday (video that has been posted below). Since I have owned the Gazelle I have replaced the air filter (Ernest Doe staff member laughed at the old air filter as it appeared to be an old sponge someone had cut to use, currently has proper Briggs air filter for correct engine), battery (had an old car battery fitted prior to purchasing and now currently correct battery stated in mower manual), replaced points and condenser (when first purchased had trouble starting engine and then after fifteen minutes of use engine would cut out, now starts fairly on the key with no cut out), added new seat (old seat was taped up and sticky/had perished, so painted metal seat to stop rust and put new seat on), repainted cutter deck/eradicated all rust (probably ruined the deck but have protected it from rust), numerous amounts of oil changes (first oil I bought the mower with was black and sludgy), and finally have purchased new pulleys and drive belt with new lights. So it should run ok, if not I don’t know what to do next haha. Hope you enjoy the videos (forgot to show video of lights working so have included another video) Much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Pictures below showcase the work I had carried out a week ago as well as a video of the Gazelle running.

_20180915_122108.JPG

20180909_130920.jpg

_20180915_122050.JPG

20180909_141615.jpg

3 minutes ago, HeadExam said:

Well it looks like you have it sorted nicely

Hi, cheers. Yeah it's now running great thanks to your help with getting the right pulleys. The 280-024 pulleys were the right fit with no altercation needed. It's looks in this video that I'm revving the engine but it's not as bad in real life as it sounds on the audio. Lol. 

53 minutes ago, WestwoodW8Gazelle said:

Hi, cheers. Yeah it's now running great thanks to your help with getting the right pulleys. The 280-024 pulleys were the right fit with no altercation needed. It's looks in this video that I'm revving the engine but it's not as bad in real life as it sounds on the audio. Lol. 

The engine may sort out on its own with a little more use and clean petrol, may want to use a fuel system cleaner a well.

3 hours ago, HeadExam said:

The engine may sort out on its own with a little more use and clean petrol, may want to use a fuel system cleaner a well.

Yeah I noticed when revving the engine, it fluctuates sometimes before it gets into the higher revs. I was thinking about using some carb cleaner as well if that will help.

8 hours ago, WestwoodW8Gazelle said:

Yeah I noticed when revving the engine, it fluctuates sometimes before it gets into the higher revs. I was thinking about using some carb cleaner as well if that will help.

Try heavy amounts of Seafoam petrol treatment, it the best

7 hours ago, HeadExam said:

Try heavy amounts of Seafoam petrol treatment, it the best

I have seem Seafoam petrol treatment advertised online in the UK but non of the adverts mention how much you put in a gallon of petrol. In the UK it is about £15 a pint so without knowing the mix it is hard to determine the value.

How do you think this compares with B&S fuel fit?

Iain

3 hours ago, slf-uk said:

I have seem Seafoam petrol treatment advertised online in the UK but non of the adverts mention how much you put in a gallon of petrol. In the UK it is about £15 a pint so without knowing the mix it is hard to determine the value.

How do you think this compares with B&S fuel fit?

Iain

For general maintenance 1 ounce per gallon is fine, but to clean a heavily varnished or dirty carb I would either buy some of the spray and spray directly into the carb. The engine will try to die so, 2-3 second squirts is all you will get while the engine recovers, 7-10 squirts of Seafoam will remove much varnish and deposits. Another method is to add 3-6 ounces to half a tank and run it empty with this mix. B&S fuel fit is a petrol stabilizer more like Stabil, Seafoam is a cleaner/stabilizer. I only use pure gas, no ethanol and a fuel stabilizer is not necessary for that product. ethanol lace petrol will congeal to a caramel like substance in carburetors after time  and clog passageways, Seafoam will remove that, most fuel stabilizers will not. I believe you blokes are able to get pure gas over there, is that so?

45 minutes ago, HeadExam said:

For general maintenance 1 ounce per gallon is fine, but to clean a heavily varnished or dirty carb I would either buy some of the spray and spray directly into the carb. The engine will try to die so, 2-3 second squirts is all you will get while the engine recovers, 7-10 squirts of Seafoam will remove much varnish and deposits. Another method is to add 3-6 ounces to half a tank and run it empty with this mix. B&S fuel fit is a petrol stabilizer more like Stabil, Seafoam is a cleaner/stabilizer. I only use pure gas, no ethanol and a fuel stabilizer is not necessary for that product. ethanol lace petrol will congeal to a caramel like substance in carburetors after time  and clog passageways, Seafoam will remove that, most fuel stabilizers will not. I believe you blokes are able to get pure gas over there, is that so?

Unfortunately not, I believe our gas contains 5% ethanol and today's petrol  is pretty horrible stuff. I have just had to rebuild the carb on my G10 as it had gummed up the carb after sitting for just 3 months.

2 hours ago, slf-uk said:

Unfortunately not, I believe our gas contains 5% ethanol and today's petrol  is pretty horrible stuff. I have just had to rebuild the carb on my G10 as it had gummed up the carb after sitting for just 3 months.

Most of our petrol is 10% ethanol with some vehicles designed to run 85% percent (E-85) ethanol, but using it will void manufacturers engine warranty even though the manufacturer built the engine to run on E-85, Apparently the tanks that hold E-85 must be constantly be stirred to keep petrol an ethanol from separating, when ethanol separates from petrol many users will be getting pure ethanol or alcohol (not sure if it's fit for human consumption) and most tanks do not have this feature yet. We have 10 filling stations within 20 miles (one as close as 7 miles) that serve locally drilled and produced pure petrol at 25% percent more per gallon than the 10% ethanol petrol. However studies show that pure petrol gets close to 20-25 percent better fuel mileage without the fuel system issues caused by ethanol

Great video, it is really nice to see the mower in action. She's looking very good indeed for her age, very tidy underneath, and I understand you wanting to keep those stickers on as part of the mower's history. :) Sometimes I wonder about completely restoring/repainting mine, but then there is something quite special about an old machine that is preserved in a "used but not abused" state. Having said that, it's amazing what a difference a new seat can make to a machine. 

18 hours ago, WestwoodGazelle said:

Great video, it is really nice to see the mower in action. She's looking very good indeed for her age, very tidy underneath, and I understand you wanting to keep those stickers on as part of the mower's history. :) Sometimes I wonder about completely restoring/repainting mine, but then there is something quite special about an old machine that is preserved in a "used but not abused" state. Having said that, it's amazing what a difference a new seat can make to a machine. 

Hi, thankyou, would love to see some pics and videos of your Westwood, great to have you back on here.