FFMan

O&R questions

I just acquired and O & R engine like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-O-amp-R-OHLSSON-amp-RICE-034-COMPACT-034-3-4Hp-SPK-IGN-HYDROPLANE-ENGINE-/112585481541?

But mine has lost the decal stating what power it is - can i tell some other way ?

Mine also has a centrifugal clutch and V-belt pulley on it.

Anyhow, when I got it it had no spark, so i cleaned the points and connections and now get a good spark. I got a new plug a Champion UY6 and mixed the fuel as directed on the decal with a mineral 2-stroke oil which results in something like 9:1 mix if I've done my math right - very oily compared to the 25 or even 50 to one of later engines. I read somewhere on here afterwards 32:1 was OK with a modern mineral oil.

Carb diaphragm seemed intact, i heard they used to be available on ebay but i can't find them. does anyone know where you can get them ?

It ran for 5 seconds or so then stopped, probably oiled up on the 9:1 mix ? I ran out of time to do anything more but will get back to it tomorrow, give it a clean and remix the fuel.

comments/advice appreciated

32:1 modern 2 stroke oil is absolutely fine. 9:1 will kill the mosquitos. You've already figured out the cause of no spark. 95% of them that do not have spark are caused by dirty points. All engines that will

be ran, should have the diaphragms replaced. I sell them for $10, shipped in the US, $11 anywhere else in the world. When they are gone, I will not be making any more, and I don't sell them on ebay

because they take what little profit is made on them and it just became a PITA, along with selling all of my parts for these engines.

On 10/5/2017 at 8:28 AM, FFMan said:

I just acquired and O & R engine

But mine has lost the decal stating what power it is - can i tell some other way ?

Mine also has a centrifugal clutch and V-belt pulley on it.

:WMOM:

If you post some pictures of your engine & details like the serial number/type stamped either side of the crankcase, we can probably work out what the power should be (it will be most likely 3/4HP or 0.85HP as it has the 10mm UY6 spark-plug).

Also don't forget to clean out the old filter foam from the air filter if you haven't already.

David

9 hours ago, FFMan said:

i'm based in the uk - i can't send cash but happy to send a cheque.

No problem. you can Paypal me $11 and I will send you one. PM me for my email address. ^^^Factory (David) is our cross the pond guru^^^