Sign in to follow this  
bankman

Aspera/Tecumseh query

Just getting back (slowly!) into the world of horticultural machinery after a break and I have a question already!  Last year I purchased a stationary engine locally for my collection and the old boy selling it threw a Gardenmaster 85 into my van for free.  I have just got around to looking at it, a bit of a mess but hopefully saveable.  I have stripped and freed of the gearbox assembly and fitted new seals etc and the frame is being stripped and repainted.  I have seen Paul's thread on these machines so know that 'Titch' can supply decals for it when the time comes.

What I am struggling with is the engine!  It is an Aspera/Tecumseh but I'm not sure which model, the plate is virtually unreadable apart from the numbers 014 followed by 065345.  I assume it is in the BH series, my problem is that the engine is missing the inlet manifold and carb etc and I'm not sure what it would look like.  There are several manifolds and carbs on ebay but I don't know which one I need.  The engine was solid but that was just tightness of the crank in the bronze bush in the timing cover, that freed off and the engine has been stripped now.  The governor bar through the crankcase was siezed and snapped trying to remove it but I can probably find one on a scrap engine, it is mainly the manifold and carb that I need.

Any advice welcomed!

Pete.

Some pics of the engine;

rKOEiDG.jpg

aMa8n8n.jpg

RsJrexp.jpg

Hi Pete.   Can't be sure of engine model but I saved the carb assembly from a similar scrapped engine.  Just taken photo's. A few here.  Maybe someone can determine if it would fit your engine. 

IMG_6687.JPG.3d4a0af22389358aaacc32e2a1e3bf85.JPGIMG_6689.JPG.4a5b98079152d13ec0189b65e7aec8b1.JPGIMG_6696.JPG.b43ab12cd3fbcfb7c344c9da26fa3304.JPG

Hi Alan, thank you for that but I think that the manifold stud orientation (big word for this time of night!) is wrong, your one seems to be at a lesser angle than mine or perhaps they do sit slightly downwards?  Carb etc might be the same though, maybe someone else can shed some light on the matter.  Let's see what develops!

Pete.

Its possible that your engine is an H30, not a BH but I will have a look at some books in the morning. Also wondering whether the blower housing / cowling that the starter mounts on is the correct one for the block - looks a bit of an uncomfortable fit. The images of the carbs are for vertical crank engines on rotary mower applications and not relevant to your problem.

Edit

I've not been able to match your numbers to any reference material that I have but here's a couple of scans of H30 models, one of the original Lauson version and one of the Italian made "clone". They both feature the stepped inlet manifold.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k783cnjt6i95mx2/Lauson H30%2C Aspera H300001.pdf?dl=0

Hi Wristpin, I believe that the machine was purchased new by the chap I obtained it from so I don't think it has been altered in any way.  I assumed that the engine and carb setup would be the same as the one on Paul Mackellows Gardenmaster 85 but it may well have had the manifold protruding at right angles instead, that may account for it having been sheared off?  I also notice that there is no mounting holes in the frame for the hand throttle control so perhaps it had a clamp on one, all that is missing anyway!  OR, perhaps it had a fixed throttle, I'm not familiar with these machines?

Pete.

OK, today I completely dismantled the engine and decided just which parts I require for the rebuild. Well made little units, nice and simple! I can post some pics if anyone is interested, though seeing all the restorations on here I guess most will have seen inside one as they seem to be a common engine.  Rings and seals should suffice, the valves lapped in OK and don't leak petrol so all is fine there, just the clearances to be sorted once the camshaft is in place. The governor rod was siezed in the crankcase and sheared off so I may have to make one of those.  Wristpin you could well be correct regarding it being a H30, stamped under the paint in a corner of the crankcase near the engine mounting lugs is the number 30 and the threads are all UNC which to me would indicate a USA manufactured unit?  Lauson perhaps? So, I still need to sort a carb and manifold for it, could be 'fun' finding them.

I also realise that I posted this thread in the wrong section, maybe it can be moved to the 'Rotovator' section?

Sounds like progress. UNC into alloy castings is normal even for the Italian manufactured ones but the pattern of the recoil unit suggests a fairly early unit , so it could be of US mfg.

Images may give a clue as to exactly what you have so the more the better.  Move the thread if you wish but don’t split it . Split threads about the same machine are a pain - imo!!

Meanwhile, assuming it to be an H30 I’ll sort out some clearance and torque figures. 

Mmm, not sure how to move this to the Rotavator section?  I assumed that only moderators could do that.  I will sort some pics out tomorrow anyway, I have ordered some seals and rings so while they are in transit progress on the frame can continue!

Pete.

Thank's for those Wristpin.  Right, a few pics!  I think that this engine is probably an early version, the valves are retained by pins, it is breaker and coil ignition (coil has a decent HT reading!) and the number 30 is stamped on the crankcase. The breather is also different to the later ones. The Aspera name does figure strongly on the fuel tank, but so does the other two?   Also there are no mounting holes in the frame where the throttle control is usually fitted, all the pics I have seen on here regarding these machines has the fitment there.

Maybe these will help identify who manufactured it and where!  At present the metal work on the tool head, tines etc,  is in the electrolysis tank de-rusting!

QGiBmjQ.jpg

naTxJCs.jpg

V99o7PB.jpg

UqpXy7a.jpg

9hIYUsU.jpg

zXFuTiM.jpg

TTvL1UJ.jpg

yucK1PV.jpg

zPVBnSr.jpg

Edited by bankman

Hello Pete, Just read this thread and a nice little challenge to sort that motor. I'm tending to agree with Wristpin on the H30  I.D. ,  only I have one thing puzzling me at the mo'.

The Valve Retaining Pin System is on the earlier models, but from what I find in my checks is that it was used on Models that had the Exhaust outlet at the other side (90 degrees) from the  Carb Inlet (e.g. Models with suffixes of G.H AND J).

They redesigned the smaller 'H' series Crank/Cylinder Castings so that both Ports were on the same side face and appear to have changed the Valve Retaining System at the same time and changes using the Suffixes to K,L,M and N !. I can't find an overlap Model, but then I'm relying on Illustrated Parts Diagrams to show me the changes. Not easy without a full Model number.

The Carb originally fitted was most likely a Series 1 version and as already established, downward cranked Inlet Manifold for lower positioning.

There should be a longish flat bracket on the Carb to carry all the linkage between Governor - Carb and Throttle Lever/Cable to Carb.

If you need a Full Service Manual for the Techy 'L' Head engines and links to possible Model Parts Manuals, let us know. I can PM you some Links.

Regards.

My workshop manual only shows side by side ports but does show both methods of valve retention, referring to the pin system as “early”.

Not sure whether this helps or hinders!

Edit 8/11/17

Just realised that in the Dropbox scans that I posted earlier , the Lauson H30 has the "90 degree ports" and the Aspera one the parallel ports.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k783cnjt6i95mx2/Lauson H30%2C Aspera H300001.pdf?dl=0 

Thank's both for your input.  H30 seems likely.  Rings are on order, 2 5/16th" bore, and oil seals are sorted, just the manifold/carb to find.  There are a few of the downward angled, like a S bend,  manifolds on ebay (USA) and there appears to be plenty of cheap carbs around but which one is correct?  Anyway progress will slow now as I have Newark show this weekend and then a weeks holiday.  Maybe a scrap machine might surface from somewhere, although I'm guessing that the later carb/manifold setup should still fit?

Pete. 

16 hours ago, Wristpin said:

My workshop manual only shows side by side ports but does show both methods of valve retention, referring to the pin system as “early”.

Not sure whether this helps or hinders!

Yep!, my Manual is the later revision (which I will upload to the Reference Files for Download section on here), but covers the early ones also and only refers to the same re Pins.

Just looked at your Link to H30 IPL Scans in your earlier post and they show the 2 styles of Cylinder casting and surprisingly no Valve Pins considering they are examples from 1961 and 1967. Wonder if both H30 versions were produced alongside each other for different applications?. I know they were fitted to some Mini Bikes in the U.S.

I was hoping to tie the Engine down to a close Model and Spec number(s) for Pete, but I failed.

4 hours ago, bankman said:

Thank's both for your input.  H30 seems likely.  Rings are on order, 2 5/16th" bore, and oil seals are sorted, just the manifold/carb to find.  There are a few of the downward angled, like a S bend,  manifolds on ebay (USA) and there appears to be plenty of cheap carbs around but which one is correct?  Anyway progress will slow now as I have Newark show this weekend and then a weeks holiday.  Maybe a scrap machine might surface from somewhere, although I'm guessing that the later carb/manifold setup should still fit? Pete. 

Looks and sounds like you are in no need of assistance in your quest for parts and numbers. Look forward to seeing your progress on it. 

Regards 

Making steady progress, too cold and damp yesterday for outside work though.  The tool head gearbox has been dismantled and cleaned, oxy/propane heat was needed to remove the driving dogs from the side shafts though.  The crownwheel bearings (plain bronze bushes) were also partially siezed to the shafts basically due to old age and poverty!  A well made little unit though. The worm bearings are fine, new oil seals are on order, gaskets have been made and the various castings are currently primed and in the 'paint shop' (kitchen!) hardening off.  

9FYud34.jpg

LXz8ttb.jpg

n992txo.jpg

Pete.

Edited by bankman

Proceeding steadily with this project.  I ordered a headgasket for a Tecumseh H30 and what came proves to me that it isn't one of those engines so Aspera seems most likely, however with a little bit of trimming and punching an extra hole it should still be useable.  New piston rings arrived and were fitted, the bore was honed and piston installed.  Timing set, valve clearances adjusted to spec and a new governor bar made as the old one came out in 'three halves' as shown!  Engine block/crankcase now in primer and I'm now away for a weeks holiday in Lancashire while it hardens off haha.

i1m3OSN.jpg

yHo08Tt.jpg

gqA3kAr.jpg

YQThKiU.jpg

EkrfjfG.jpg

W51zhza.jpg

Pete.

Re the head gasket. Been there and had the identification issue in the past.

This may be of use

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgrbup9j4y4ii6f/P1010221 (Medium).JPG?dl=0

EDIT::  Doesn't look as though it will as yours is not on there  - chart too modern , I think.

I've had a quick look through my box of left over gaskets and part used sets  - no joy there, but will have a more in depth look later.   Are the fins on the cylinder head straight or curved ?  

Just had another rummage and this looks a possibility. Got several!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipwc0d40we4iuse/Tecumseh head gasket possibly0001.pdf?dl=0

P1010221 (Medium).JPG

Straight fins on the cylinder head Wristpin.  That new gasket will be fine, it touches in all the right places and just needs another hole making!  When I return home next weekend I will line up the fuel tank temporarily as the fuel line is still fitted (it hasn't been cut) and it will tell me where abouts the original carb and inlet manifold were positioned, I can then try and search for the correct set up.  I think that it will be similar to the one on Paul Mackellow's Gardenmaster 85 as his engine looks to be the same as my one with a similar spec plate, no hurry though as still plenty of work needs doing on the framework.

Pete.

Well work has progressed very steadily of this project.  Checking the rest of the machine over I found the frame was twisted (not a big issue really) but the wheels were both rotten where the machine had presumably been left on wet ground for a long period and the axle was also badly corroded.  Given the missing engine parts as well I was fortunate enough to come across another machine fairly local and cheap enough to take a punt on.  This machine is in much better condition frame-wise, it has the hand control and cable, a decent set of the double blades and also a totally worn out engine!  Valves flopping in their guides like the proverbial p**** in a bucket, almost a 1/4" of endfloat on the crank, big end rattling around but it does have the manifold and carb/aircleaner and a better fuel tank so the plan is to make one good machine from the pair.  I also bought a rotary mower attatchment as well, that needs a full restoration of course! The other frame looks to be a good candidate to form the basis of a trolley for moving my argon cylinder around, nothing wasted here!

The tool head from the original machine is all finished now, just some washers required for the filler and drain plugs;

YLd3qaW.jpg

The later machine, now  in pieces;

8LKjfSA.jpg

SiUufxr.jpg

Pete.

Edited by bankman