Sign in to follow this  
howardman

Reversing a Lucas SR1 magneto

I picked up Lucas Sr1  magneto for my jap engine howard gem  but need to reverse the rotation (clockwise to anticlockwise) has anyone ever tried this before ? 

I have done it several times with wipac magnetos, you need to move the striker pin for the impulse and change the location of the centrifugal latch take some photos of the mechanism before hand so you can be sure of where the bits go, You should find that alternate mount points are built in to the mag already.

Cant  see any other way of mounting the points, but at least it has an excellent spark since i changed the condenser. It has no impulse but still gives a good spark when turn over by hand. I have a new found respect for the lucas sr1. 

3 hours ago, howardman said:

Cant  see any other way of mounting the points, but at least it has an excellent spark since i changed the condenser. It has no impulse but still gives a good spark when turn over by hand. I have a new found respect for the lucas sr1. 

The following is quoted from a manual on overhauling and testing magnetos.

" Before working on a magneto connect a spark plug to the HT lead with the body of the plug connected to the magneto body. If this is not done and the magneto turned beyond its "spark point" the high voltage generated will find the easiest path to earth. At best this could cause tracking across the bakalite cover, creating a permanent problem, at worst it could destroy a perfectly good - and expensive to replace - coil."

It goes on to warn of the risk of destroying a digital multi-meter if the rotor is turned with the meter connected.

You have been warned

Thanks wristspin but i had it mounted in a vise and had   attached a new lead ... that i touched off the side of the vise ...to discharge the current. 

Managed to reverse the lucas sr1 magneto ,. Got a pdf Lucas workshop Manuel for the SR1 magneto in pdf form on line and it covered cam timing. The points cam is held on a taper with a screw and can be loosed and moved . Part of the timing needs a gauge of .076 of an inch  ..so i used a micrometer to select a thin drill bit  ...took a few goes but the spark seems stronger in the anticlockwise rotation now., than when it was set up to go clockwise .

Edited by howardman