the showman

Give us a Lift

One bar with open channel welded on each end that slips over the box section as near to the vertical posts as you can get. Even a chain with two shackles would do.

Edited by expeatfarmer
Further thought.

After doing my chores this morning i was allowed in the shed.

Finished making the A frames and welded on, found some 1/4 plate for the topbar gussets and made a cross bar for extra support.

Ive put pins both sides so the bar can be fitted either side.

Next was to drill 4 1/2" holes in the topbar, just got to make 4 pins now or put nuts and bolts though it.

The topbar can be lifted up another 8" if i need extra height.

And some photos.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well done looks as if it will be really useful, I have spent ages setting myself up with lifting and moving devices so that I can cary on my hobby when I am even more decrepit than now. My sons laugh at me but they don't offer to lift things for me instead.

Final update on the gantry, I stuck some rubber on the monkeys legs to stop it scratching the paint when it runs side to side.

It only takes a few minutes to put up and I think it will be handy for lifting heavy items.

Im quite pleased with the end result and it's only cost me a tenner for the paint

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Monkeys have wheels like railway bogies with flanges on. Maybe you could somehow fit four rollers to the vertical brackets to guide the monkey. Less resistance when moving sideways.

Give you something to think about. :D :hide:

5 hours ago, Stormin said:

Monkeys have wheels like railway bogies with flanges on. Maybe you could somehow fit four rollers to the vertical brackets to guide the monkey. Less resistance when moving sideways.

Give you something to think about. :D :hide:

This is the FINAL update Norm, not doing anymore to it. It works fine as it is. !!!. :D

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:26 PM, the showman said:

This is the FINAL update.

Oh no it's not!

Chris said he was thinking about selling the gantry, as he has acquired an engine crane. So in exchange for a bob or two, the gantry made the trip North.

He neglected to supply the pins, :rolleyes: so I had to make my own.

P1020488.JPG.f00707e9fb43fad391943ff3d3d0ee70.JPG

P1020489.JPG.50917dce547797666d419008a5bb3c6c.JPG

Also marked the top ends and corresponding upright sides.

I've used the top holes to give maximum height. A hand ratchet hoist hanging around, now hangs on the gantry.P1020490.JPG.6fd5301fc04e37892f18c5aada1cff23.JPG

A nice big cable tie keeps it out of the way when not in use.

P1020491.JPG.a1374678017cab5adf7d99751a4997ea.JPG 

As the i.d. of box section for the top, is slightly bigger than the o.d. of the legs, some side movement was evident. So a couple of wedges fitted and they stopped that.

P1020492.JPG.1e50515b8cea27d73dd3c026ad462e6f.JPG

No need to dismantle it, as a tractor sits under it and takes up very little, if any extra space. Dismantled I'd have to find space somewhere to store it.

P1020493.JPG.9f8a3a393da9f388bcf70423f4f79fa0.JPG