the showman

Give us a Lift

As I advance into my mature years I'm finding it harder to pick-up engines and transmissions so i'm looking at making these things easier without spending any money.

I'm looking at making an engine hoist or gantry and was wondering the +s and -s are between them

7 hours ago, Alan said:

Bit late now but you could have used John's digger as a hoist with the grubber fitted instead of the bucket.  Grubber would fit through the shed door and be easier to hook things onto. :hide:

I could have parked it on Pam's lawn and put the dipper arm through the window .:D

3 hours ago, HeadExam said:

Look for a hospital patient lift at auction.

Thats a good idea. :thumbs:

36 minutes ago, meadowfield said:

That's why I built a hoist, makes life a lot easier. Hoist was £30 off that auction site.

IMG_2583.JPG

I want something more manoeuvrable than that Mark

39 minutes ago, meadowfield said:

That's why I built a hoist, makes life a lot easier. Hoist was £30 off that auction site.

IMG_2583.JPG

I see the bottles of beer have gone. :P

Made some progress today with the hoist, found a box of caster wheels and luckily a set of 4 heavy duty ones, 2 with brakes.

The box section is thick wall and nice to weld, 4 plates were cut to mount the wheels and then welded to the box section then the uprights were added.

I going to weld a A frame at the bottom to give it more strength and make the top bar detachable so i can fold it up when not in use.

heres some photos of today's efforts 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I like it and the way you've made the top bar. :thumbs: I can see a nice little earner there. ;)

BTW. Where did the caution sign come from? Very apt. :D

Just one observation. I'd fit gussets in the corners of the top bar. Add a bit of strength.

15 minutes ago, Stormin said:

I like it and the way you've made the top bar. :thumbs: I can see a nice little earner there. ;)

BTW. Where did the caution sign come from? Very apt. :D

Just one observation. I'd fit gussets in the corners of the top bar. Add a bit of strength.

The sign I found in a men's gadget shop in town and just had to buy it.

ive marked out the gussets but didn't have time to cut them, I also want to put an A frame on the legs at the bottom 

45 minutes ago, the showman said:

The sign I found in a men's gadget shop in town and just had to buy it.

ive marked out the gussets but didn't have time to cut them, I also want to put an A frame on the legs at the bottom 

A sort of male Anne Summers?

8 minutes ago, Wristpin said:

A sort of male Anne Summers?

The shohttps://www.menkind.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4-7QyL_V1wIVwpPtCh0QVAbWEAAYASAAEgK2jPD_BwEp was called Menkind, 

12 minutes ago, nigel said:

I like that a lot, two questions though, what was that winch originally used for, and how have you fixed it at the base ?

I was told it was used for lifting bombs into aircraft, ???.

Its only hooked at the top and its all enclosed in the casing, has 2 speeds and a brake so you can stand where you want, its a real neat thing to use and you don't have chains or cables all hanging over stuff