WestwoodGazelle

My New Wheels...

Thanks for the comments! :) I am really happy with it as it is so tidy and almost entirely rust free, and has never had welding done. You are spot on, Chris, it had an elderly owner who kept it garaged, kept every single invoice and it only has 51k miles. My intention is to nip the couple of very small rust marks in the bud and although I will use it, I want to preserve it in its current state. I think rust is the main killer of cars like this so I will be keeping on top of it :thumbs:

57 minutes ago, WestwoodGazelle said:

Thanks for the comments! :) I am really happy with it as it is so tidy and almost entirely rust free, and has never had welding done. You are spot on, Chris, it had an elderly owner who kept it garaged, kept every single invoice and it only has 51k miles. My intention is to nip the couple of very small rust marks in the bud and although I will use it, I want to preserve it in its current state. I think rust is the main killer of cars like this so I will be keeping on top of it :thumbs:

If we get a "salty winter" keep it well washed off but not by driving through a puddle that concealed this pothole in east Croydon . Friend of mine drove into it yesterday, wrecked a wheel and tyre and possibly more. While she was calling the recovery service another driver did the same. Turns out that Thames Water had "fixed"  a leak the day before, filled in the hole, taken down the barriers and B******d off . The leak reappeared over night and washed out the fill and yesterday's rain and wet roads disguised it.   

2017-11-23 13.42.12.jpg

Hi all, just have a question- has anyone ever considered undersealing a car with Owatrol oil? I only ask because unlike Wax-oil, it dries solid so is nicer to work with, and also it penetrates paint in order to kill rust.  

I've no experience of Owatrol, but if it dries solid I wonder what happens if it gets chipped. Get moisture get under it? Like the usual underseal. No doubt someone will be able to answer that question.

I'd go for Wax-oil as it spreads into nooks and crannies.

I'm a great fan of Owatrol but I think that Waxoyl or similar products such as Morris's Ankor wax are better for your purpose as they have a creeping / searching action. Another one that comes to mind is Dinitrol but I haven't seen it around lately.

Owatrol dries with a sort of soft plasticy finish and wont chip easily and is great for horticultural machinery either mixed with paint or applied over a painted finish. I use it for lawnmower cutting cylinders and deflector plates etc. The downside of Owatrol is that it seems to delay final drying for up to 72 hours, so not for someone in a hurry!