Sign in to follow this  
the showman

De' Ja' Vu

Now the disruption of Christmas is over its back to the shed.

This is a Raider 10 thats been in the back of my woodstore for a few years and during my rebuild on the Raider 12 ive been piling bits together to put it together.

Had a bit of a late start as i had to clear all the sawdust after sawing up a load of wood during the last couple of days.

This is as far as ive got today apart from the chassis is now sanded down to bare metal

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I had to leave this for a few days as i had other commitments namely mot on the Sprinter and the Chevy .

Im sorting out the transmission that seems to be weeping oil and the hitch pin is rusted solid which will need drilling out.

I pulled another box out but thought I'd carry on with the original.

I had to leave it over night to let whatever was in it to dribble out, it certainly wasn't sae 140.

I cut through the pin each side to remove the hitch and spacers the cut it again near the casing, drilled a hole through the pin using 3 different sizes drill bits then nocked it out.

Ive ordered some new axle seals from Toro and think i have the others in stock.

Next job will be to remove all the pulleys and hubs and clean it up.

Heres some photos of today's activities.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Today's progress has been a bit slow due to a very stubborn hub, i warmed it up and bolted a puller on but no joy.

I gave it a good soaking and tried again still wouldn't move.

Next I connected up the gas axe to get more heat and quicker, with it glowing it still refused to move so i went for a cuppa to cool off.

I thought I'd give it one more chance if not I decided to leave it rather than brake it.

Same again with loads of heat and an extension pipe on my T bar it moved and off it came, next was the other side so with puller fitted it slid straight off.

It was a lot of work but at least i got them off and can change the oil seals and I didn't break anything.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

May sound a bit brutal but supporting the boss on a substantial lump of iron such as an anvil or a bit of RSJ / angle iron and hitting the opposite side with a substantial drift and a large lump hammer, rotating the boss as you go, will cause enough "shock stress"  free it. Also works well for taper fits. 

The last thing I wanted to use was a hammer Angus, ive got a feeling the hubs are cast as ive seen a few of them broken across the lug nuts holes.

Also you can't give the boss a tap because it pings the circlip off the axle inside the diff then you have to strip the box to put it back on.

1 hour ago, Stormin said:

The hubs are cast and very easily broken. I've one off the Raider 10 with a chunk out. Not down to me I hasten to add.

Ah, didn’t realise that they were cast, quite agree. However, if they were safe to hit, no danger of “ pinging” the circling as the impact is at right angles not logitudanly .

Got a bit more done to the transmission today dodging the showers.

I powerwashed the degreaser and crap off then used the drill with a wire brush and a paint stripping pad to clean off the paint and rust finally giving it a coat of primer.

Had a phone call to say the oil seals are on their way. Woof Woof. :D

On 15 January 2018 at 7:49 PM, Stormin said:

You realise if you paint the trans', you have to paint all the rest. :hide:

I was hoping not to get that involved with this but it's looking that way, I'll wait till ive got it painted and see how clean the hood and rear fender come up.

Had some time today and as the weather was crap i thought I'd have an hour in the shed.

First job was to clean the axles and shafts and remove the old oil seals, this was done by piercing the seal with a pointed tool then pull it out with a hook tool.

i needed something  to push the new seals in and used a short bit of water pipe and a piece of tube from a trampoline frame that just happened to be an exact fit, i put a bit of tape over the keyway slot so the new seal wouldn't snag up or get damaged.

I used some rubber lubricant and they went in really easy.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 02/04/2018 at 11:32 PM, Wristpin said:

Toro now owns Hayter so are "rationalising"  the parts bin.

That's handy to know should I need to get new gearbox seals :thumbs:

Nice work Chris, the speed your going your have the Raider finished in a month or so :thumbs: