Batty the Bat

Martin Markham

Hi all. I'm new to this site so I hope someone can help. I've recently acquired a Martin Markham Colt Deluxe. My intention is to restore it. I know very little about it and wondered how I find out about it's history?

I'd also like to know what the original blue colour was and where I can get hold of an owners manual and spare parts please?

It has a Kohler engine and despite standing outside for about 15 years I have managed to get it running! However, I also need so new parts for this as well.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Welcome to MOM. We got two lads, possibly three, that got Martin Markham  tractors and they should be able to help you out. Type in Martin Markham in the search engine on the forum and a few posts should crop up. I am tempted to get one myself.

Tell us more about the history of your tractor.

Photos are a must here.:thumbs:

Mines having the gearbox rebuilt (eventually) it does seem to be a weak point although they are strong little machines.

The colour is very similar to the old Hammerite blue, parts for the engine are ok to get from the US, any body panels will be like rocking horse poo.

Good luck with yours.

Thank you all for your help. I did attend the Biddenden TractorFest in Kent hoping to meet someone who had one but without luck. I'll post some pictures another time. I have had it running but couldn't find reverse! Anyone know where it is? High and low range worked ok.

Is it possible to get an owners manual? The steering box is broken, are parts available anywhere or do I have to get them made?

Thanks again for your quick response.

Welcome to MOM. I have both the colt and the colt deluxe. Finding the gears sometimes is a bit all over the place and there is Hi and low range for the colt deluxe version. 

I myself don’t have any spare parts for them unfortunately however I do have manuals and the original factory parts diagrams should you need any information.

Harry

On 2/5/2018 at 6:20 PM, expeatfarmer said:

Nice find ! Must have been a very sheltering tree.

It was standing under a large pine tree with a smaller tree growing through it!!

Well spotted Chris. The previous owner brought it from a garden centre near Bedford. Some kids had set fire to it so the original rear

tyre were 'toast'! He then fitted studded Land Rover tyres which I think I'll keep.

Hi guys I’m new to this site too, I’ve also recently required a delux version, with the high and low box, I’m looking to sell it after having a little bit of fun, I was given it for some work I done for somebody, it’s been restored and I also have the original v5 for it from 1968, I’ll upload some pictures, does anybody know what it’s worth? Many thanks Alex 

A99F0E32-1021-43FB-BE46-4BF983BB5DD3.jpeg

1808AD60-D81D-434D-8C3C-9324103F4278.jpeg

58BDBDC6-3DF2-4BE3-BEA2-FEB4630CC165.jpeg

Hi all MOM peeps. Restoration of my MM is underway. Could anyone tell me if the PTO drive is compatible with any modern mowers please? I would like a 4-5ft topper but am guessing that the PTO shaft will be different to contemporary mowers?

Many thanks.